Contribute
Register

xMove guide for Mountain Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had been having issues using the standard Unieast install on my "Sawtooth" build - note specs below. I had tried all possible install combinations using Unibeast, check the option for 1156 boards, remove graphics card and use onboard with option checked, etc. I still had issues. I happened to come across someone who used xMove to successfully install Mountain Lion on a machine with a Gigabyte board. I thought "well, wouldn't hurt to try it on my "Sawtooth" build. But being cautious I built in extra steps. Guide is as follows:

1. Download Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich Software
2. Do a clone of your drive to a second drive
a. I did this as a precautionary step in case anything would get corrupted by the Mountain Lion install or if there were any hiccups
b. Use the general default settings for CCC to do the drive clone
3. On the cloned drive go into Disk Utility and make a partition of at least 8GB
4. Download xMove
5. Run xMove and let it fully finish
6. Reboot your computer and at Boot screen select the xMove partition
a. This should boot the OS X Installer
b. If not, try the boot flags -x for safe mode, or -v for verbose mode to see where the problem lies etc.
7. Install OS X to the copy of your drive
8. Let computer reboot, and select the partition to which you installed
a. Verify that it performed a successful reboot
9. If it rebooted successfully and everything worked the way it should have clone the Mountain Lion Drive back to your main drive.

I know the drive cloning might have been a bit of overkill but I have been doing this long enough to know that it is always best to do a clone and back up of any drive you are working with. If not, you pay for it on the back end with a corrupted install and may have to manually do a recovery or worse start from 100% scratch.

Hope this helps anyone who had been having issues.

roto31 - good guide. I agree that the way to proceed is to always have a plan for recovery when things go poo. A clone is the best insurance.

neil

Thank you Neil. After having a job in IT I always write a how to based upon the lowest common denominator and for any possible problem. I've had too many things go poo by making dumb mistakes or not accounting for things that might happen in an uprgade at both work and home. Possible to make it a "sticky" guide that would stay on the main page?

I get a KP when booting into the installer partition. The errors are several p-state related messages.
What should I try?

Mountain LIon Setup reboots (crashes) unexpectly without any error messages

hi there i have a strange issue i've created an installer partition with xmove installed unibeast the last version and Chimera 1.11 tried to boot withe differents flags but i cannot get any error messages faced to find the start point further research
System config GA-p35 -ds3r ver.1.0 q 6600 intel cpu 4 GB of RAM lion installed on system is running well without issues
what can i try to see the error messages i have 80 gb sata drive one partition install osd 8 GB with setup data created with xmove and the rest with cloned lion install from my working lion system on the second drive.
sorry for my english has anyone an idea how can i find the ground of this issue? lion starts from both partitions normaly please help i have now no idea tried to add the additional drivers to install partition with Multibeast nothing changes the same issue by booting in single user mode booting with -v-x-f same i appreciate every advices
thank you in advances gaendalf

Okay, I got my clone upgraded to ML now. I'm not 100% sure what was the actual problem. I tried to go straight to ML from 10.7.3 which might have been bad and also I think I may have done something wrong following the xMove guide. Anyways, here's what I did now:

1) install 10.7.4 combo update (was on 10.7.3)
2) run multibeast 4.6.1 with Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement for OSX 10.7.4, Chimera v1.10.0 r1394 and Core i7 SSDT selected.
3) reboot
4) followed xMove guide but also ran multibeast with the same selection on the installer partition
5) finished ML install
6) reran multibeast with the selection mentioned above
7) rebooted to ML
8) ran all the software updates

I'm using a fw audio interface so no need to install audio kexts

My touchscreen needs new drivers to fully function on ML so I'll stay on 10.7.4 with my SSD until they become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back