Contribute
Register

XHC USB detection problem on macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Z97N-WIFI - i7-4790K - RX 580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI - F7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hackintosh was built by the Stork's instructions for Hector. Added RX 580 and Lilu+WEG to L/E with Hackintool and updated it to 10.15.2 from 10.13.6.

I have a problem with USB (3.0). I tried to make my own SSDT like on this video (Instructions by @RehabMan). As the video says I also added USBInjectAll to L/E. Also tried with FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux. All kexts were last available Release version.
Z97N diagram.png
At the motherboard panel (2x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.0), I get all the plugged devices at EHC1 and EHC2 controllers instead of XHC. So 2x USB 2.0 reads USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices (at USB 2.0 speeds) with ECH2@1A controller,
EHC2.png

on the other hand, 4x USB 3.0 only reads USB 2.0 devices with EHC@1D controller. Wierd.
EHC1.png

The front panel has 2x USB 3.0, but only 1 detects USB 2.0 and 3.0. The second one is 'dead' (light on USB thumb is on, it doesn't recognize it nor 2.0 nor 3.0, but it works OK in Win10).
The working one is running USB 3.0 speeds with XHC@14 controller (but SS, not HS like in the video). If I plug in 2.0 device it goes back to EHC1@1D controller.
XHC.png

------------------------
Any help would be great as I do not know how to proceed and change al these EHC controlled USBs under XHC to proceed and make own SSDT like in the video.
I've also attached config.plist. TIA, Urban!

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 189
Hackintosh was built by the Stork's instructions for Hector. Added RX 580 and Lilu+WEG to L/E with Hackintool and updated it to 10.15.2 from 10.13.6.

I have a problem with USB (3.0). I tried to make my own SSDT like on this video (Instructions by @RehabMan). As the video says I also added USBInjectAll to L/E. Also tried with FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux. All kexts were last available Release version.
View attachment 441068
At the motherboard panel (2x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.0), I get all the plugged devices at EHC1 and EHC2 controllers instead of XHC. So 2x USB 2.0 reads USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices (at USB 2.0 speeds) with ECH2@1A controller,
View attachment 441076

on the other hand, 4x USB 3.0 only reads USB 2.0 devices with EHC@1D controller. Wierd.
View attachment 441077

The front panel has 2x USB 3.0, but only 1 detects USB 2.0 and 3.0. The second one is 'dead' (light on USB thumb is on, it doesn't recognize it nor 2.0 nor 3.0, but it works OK in Win10).
The working one is running USB 3.0 speeds with XHC@14 controller (but SS, not HS like in the video). If I plug in 2.0 device it goes back to EHC1@1D controller.
View attachment 441078

------------------------
Any help would be great as I do not know how to proceed and change al these EHC controlled USBs under XHC to proceed and make own SSDT like in the video.
I've also attached config.plist. TIA, Urban!

Hi there.

First things first - the video you watched is incorrect in places. A Z270 chipset does not have an EHCI controller pair, only an XHCI. So I don't know why they mentioned it. o_O

As luck would have it you seem to have an H97 which DOES have both XHCI and EHCI.

If you use FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext then you are forcing the USB2.0 ports off the XHCI controller and onto the EHCI. There is no need for you to do this on your small motherboard. You only have 4x USB2 ports and 6x USB3 ports. Because USB3 ports can also work as USB2 when needed, we double those up. So this gives you a maximum number of usable ports of 16x. So you can see you only need to exclude 1x port. In the video they have many more to worry about.

So what to so?

Remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and rebuild your kext caches.

Put the EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02 renames into your config.plist file.

Put the Catalina port-limit removal patch into your config.plist.

Reboot.

Run Hackintool. Go to the USB tab. All your ports should be there.

Then start the port discovery process :thumbup:

So what to so?

Remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and rebuild your kext caches.

Put the EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02 renames into your config.plist file.

Put the Catalina port-limit removal patch into your config.plist.

Reboot.

Run Hackintool. Go to the USB tab. All your ports should be there.

Then start the port discovery process :thumbup:

I already gave up a day before yesterday and downgraded to Mojave 10.14.6, fixed USBs with Multibeast and now it works OK. And as you said; 1 port at the front panel doesn't work with 2.0 devices. I will probably wait for a few weeks until Multibeast for Catalina comes out and then upgrade it.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your help and fast reply. It may still become handy in Catalina update (as I had problems before even after Multibeast fix on HS with these USBs) or to anyone else that still uses popular miniITX Z97N or H97N from Gigabyte.

EDIT: Also post #19 from @ski4evr with added 'SSDT-UIAC.aml' file helped a lot!

Last edited:
you need to do
1. USB kext patch in clover
2. use usbinjectall.kext
3. provide the custom SSDT to clover or just add boot flag to skip the ports which are not used in your mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back