Contribute
Register

XFX RX570

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a question regarding the ultimate buyers guide, on the current listing under AMD cards, it has a link to a XFX RX 570 Black Edition (1328mhz). There is a XFX RX 570 XXX Edition (1286mhz) at a lower price, and I was just wondering if that will work to. From what I can tell, the only real difference I can see from the XFX website is that one is going at 1328mhz, the other at 1286mhz.

I had a question regarding the ultimate buyers guide, on the current listing under AMD cards, it has a link to a XFX RX 570 Black Edition (1328mhz). There is a XFX RX 570 XXX Edition (1286mhz) at a lower price, and I was just wondering if that will work to. From what I can tell, the only real difference I can see from the XFX website is that one is going at 1328mhz, the other at 1286mhz.

I think so. XFX RX 570 should work with MacOS High Sierra (and probably Mojave) with native support.

Do most Radeon's work well out of the box? When looking over the buyers guide, it just seems strange why the number of Nvidia options listed far out number the Radeons, yet most Mac's you buy use Radeons in them. I would've figured it should be the opposite in terms of supported cards listed.

Do most Radeon's work well out of the box? When looking over the buyers guide, it just seems strange why the number of Nvidia options listed far out number the Radeons, yet most Mac's you buy use Radeons in them. I would've figured it should be the opposite in terms of supported cards listed.

For the new Radeon RX cards, RX 460 / RX 560 from XFX doesn't work in MacOS, since it uses an incompatible VBIOS. Other RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 should work. The cards listed in the Buyer's Guide are those specifically listed by Apple as supported by use in eGPU (external GPU) boxes. In particular Apple recommends Sapphire cards.

Yes, Macs in the past few years all use Radeon, but in the hackintosh world, until recently using Radeon cards were fraught with problems like boot to a black screen, failing to wake from sleep etc. It is only recently that these problems are largely resolved, and then not all Radeon cards work. In the mean time almost all Nvidia cards (including the Maxwell and Pascal cards) work in MacOS Sierra and High Sierra using the Nvidia web drivers. That's why Nvidia options far outnumber Radeons.

Cool, thanks for the tip! Seems that they specify Sapphire Pulse cards in particular. I'll settle for a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 then. I just don't want to the take chance that the XFX RX 570 XXX Edition has something different going on its in VBIOS than the supported XFX RX 570 Black Edition. Not like that sort of info would show up on a company website product info page. That is unless from now until November someone posts a successful build with the XFX RX 570 XXX Edition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back