Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97S
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi,
I'm hoping someone here can help I went through all the tutorials multiple times. I am on Mojave. I have XFX RX 580 everytime it boots the apple logo comes it loads the whit ends and then it goes black. I followed the instructions. Here is my configs I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lilu and whatevergreen are installed. Okay, I figured it out and it was pretty simple basically HDMI and DVI do not work only the display ports. That really should be part of the sticky

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.22.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.22.26 PM.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.22.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.22.13 PM.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Hi,
I'm hoping someone here can help I went through all the tutorials multiple times. I am on Mojave. I have XFX RX 580 everytime it boots the apple logo comes it loads the whit ends and then it goes black. I followed the instructions. Here is my configs I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lilu and whatevergreen are installed. Okay, I figured it out and it was pretty simple basically HDMI and DVI do not work only the display ports. That really should be part of the sticky
Hi... I know its been a while but, did you manage to make it work?

Im struggling to boot my "XFX RX 580 XXX 8GB" on Catalina 10.15.7 with HDMI an DVI (I have no DP monitors).

Thanks

Have you tried using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or cable. My son used a few while at Uni with his real MacBook Pro to connect second display/TV screen.

If you have an option in the BIOS to enable Legacy Boot Roms try turning that on (or off)

Thanks for your quick answer guys... @Edhawk @nicksoph

Im going to buy two DP to DVI cables to try (But it will take a while). My bios is kinda old and doesn't have too many options, although it seems to override UEFI boots with an option.

Im using 5122 EFI Clover to boot my system and managed to run Catalina 10.15.17 (19H2) with the following settings:

- Llatest Lilu.kext / Whatevergreen.kext in my EFI Kexts folder
- Added Foxbox Orinoco patch to my Kernel Patches on Clover Configurator (With disabled "Inject ATi" because its not needed by Whatevergreen)
- Added "SSDT-RX580- Version 1.0.aml" from This Thread to my "EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched" folder

Note: my motherboard has Intel 4000 IGPU, even if I disable it on bios I had to put the correct ig-platform-id =0166000a on Graphics to make it work. I don't know if I have to enable it or add some more settings to clover make my RX 580 GPU card to load well at DVI / HDMI.

But I've applied latest supplemental catalina update and got back to black screen. I can get to load with bad graphics if I put any FakeID on video to make changes on clover or kexts.

My Build:
CPU: I7 3770 (Ivy bridge)
MB: ECS h77h2-em
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video: XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB
SSD: 120gb Kingston

You should only disable the Intel HD 4000 in the bios if you are using a SMBIOS that doesn't have an IGPU, i.e. Mac Pro or iMac Pro SMBIOS.

If you are using an iMac SMBIOS, the system will be expecting an IGPU to be present, while it might only be used for limited processes it is an integral part of the OS/workings. Apple uses the IGPU for QuickSync and compute tasks in their iMac systems.

If you are using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext you should not be using any of the following:
  1. Remove (if used previously) these kexts:
    — IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
    — NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
    — CoreDisplayFixup.kext
    — Shiki.kext
    — IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext
    — AzulPatcher4600.kext
    — AppleBacklightFixup.kext,
    — FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
    — FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
    — and FakePCIID.kext (if there are no other FakePCIID plugins)
  2. Turn off all Clover's graphic injects for Intel, ATI and Nvidia.
  3. Turn off Clover's DSDT fixes:
    — AddHDMI
    — FixDisplay
    — FixIntelGfx
    — AddIMEI
    — FixHDA
  4. Turn off Clover's UseIntelHDMI.
  5. Delete -disablegfxfirmware and -igfxnohdmi boot arguments.
  6. Delete Clover's FakeID for IntelGFX and IMEI.
  7. Delete Clover's ig-platform-id.
  8. Completely remove Clover's Arbitrary, AddProperties, as well as IGPU, IMEI, HDEF and HDMI audio definitions from SSDT and DSDT (if you added them).
  9. Delete or disable binary patches DSDT: GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0, HECI to IMEI, MEI to IMEI, HDAS to HDEF, B0D3 to HDAU.
  10. Delete the framebuffer name (Orinoco) from your config, or any patches you may have applied.
All of these items are dealt with by WhateverGreen.kext.

Only these properties should be added to your config:
— AAPL,ig-platform-id or for Sandy Bridge IGPU - AAPL,snb-platform-id framebuffer
— device-id for IGPU (if faking is necessary)
— device-id for IMEI (if faking is necessary)
— properties for patches (if necessary)

The above details have been taken from Acidanthera's WhateverGreen FAQ IntelHD manual, which can be found here - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

Regarding the DisplayPort to DVI cables, make sure you can return them, in case they don't work. I personally would go with the DisplayPort to HDMI cable/adapter., if the two displays have HDMI connections. You should be aware that these cables/adapters are fairly delicate and don't like being moved around a lot. They can be damaged quite easily if mishandled. I know this from first hand experience, as my son and his Uni housemates were forever damaging his cables and adapters. I lost count of how many I bought him.

Regarding the SSDT-RX580. Does this contain the correct ACPI address for your RX580? Look in your IOReg and see what ACPI path your RX 580 uses and see if it corresponds with the ACPI path in the SSDT. If not you need to disassemble the SSDT-RX580, i.e use terminal command to disassemble the SSDT and save it as SSDT-RX580.dsl. There will be a guide on this site on how to disassemble the SSDT. Once it has been disassembled you can edit the ACPI path, you can then save it with the new path, before saving it as an Assembled Machine Language binary (SSDT-RX580v2.aml) file.

The screenshot below show the ACPI Path for my RX580 - IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/PEG0@10000/PEGP@0

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 22.54.46.png

If matched in the SSDT-RX580 it would be shown as (_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP)

As you have an XFX RX580 dGPU it is highly likely you will run in to a framebuffer issue. XFX were and probably still are notorious for placing custom VBIOS's in their cards. These custom VBIOS's don't match with the Framebuffer properties provided in the kexts as part of macOS by Apple. So it is sometimes necessary to create a custom framebuffer for your XFX dGPU. Again there are plenty of threads here showing how to accomplish this, if it is necessary. You won't know till you have tried using the DP-DVI or DP-HDMI adapters/cables.

Lots for you to do and think about.

Thank you very much for your reply @Edhawk. It's been really helpful.

I've followed your advice and checked several things. Cleaned some default clover configs (FixHDMI, etc) and disabled / deleted all my patches and SSDT stuff, I left only Lilu and Whatevergreen and I keep having black screen on boot.

Although I made it work by putting my system to sleep (1 min after black boot) and my HDMI and DVI screens work flawlessly. I realized that none of the orinoco patches are needed as well as the RX580 SSDT.

You were right about my SMBIOS, I am using iMac 14.2 that has IGPU so I've enabled my Intel 4000 on bios but I don't know if its working properly. Hackintool shows: "Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller" but I don't see it at System information. I'll check Whatevergreen Intel HD manual to figure how to enable properly.

The thing is I keep booting at black screen. Tried with "RadeonDeInit=true2 and "Pike R. Alpha Black screen patch" (read about it on another of your posts) but it doesn't work. Even tried installing Lilu and Whatevergreen in /L/E and nothing.

A few weeks ago I've managed to make it boot (with all that previous crazy stuff enabled) but I didn't knew what I was doing haha.

Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks again for your time and support.

The "Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller" is a generic device name, for your Ivy Bridge IGPU, i.e. the Intel HD 4000. It won't appear in the System Information as the generic device name, adding the 'Headless' Intel Framebuffer for the HD 4000 is all you need to do. Don't look for anything else as it is unnecessary.

Do not install any third-party kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E, keep them in the Bootloader, i.e. /OC/Kexts or /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

You should be using the RadeonDeInit=true graphics option for the RX 580. That is the only /CLOVER/config.plist graphics option I use when booting with Clover for my RX 580's.

I switched boot loaders, I now use OpenCore for all my Hacks and even an old iMac. When switching I added an extra SSDT to deal with this option, as it is not present in OC - SSDT-Radeon_Deinit.aml. This has been added to my /OC/ACPI folder. It has also been activated in the config.plist along with the other SSDT's in my OC/ACPI folder.

Ultimately I think your problem goes back to a botched VBIOS on the XFX graphics card, this is the normal issue with XFX cards. You need to look at the Framebuffer patching guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ and either create a custom framebuffer yourself, or get hold of one from someone else who has the identical XFX RX 580 graphics card as you. I do mean identical, not similar. The guide is quite old now, but the framebuffer patching process it pretty much the same now as it was when the guide was created.

Before you do that just remove the XFX RX 580, boot with the IGPU enabled and set as the priority boot GPU in your bios. Connect your Hack to your display from one of the motherboard IGPU connectors, use a DisplayPort connection before a DVI connection and a DVI connection before a HDMI connection. With your 7-series mother board you have a DVI connector, HDMI connector and defunct VGA connector. DVI or HDMI, depending on which connector your display supports.

Does your current installation work? If yes, then re-installing macOS Catalina will not make any difference. The drivers will be the same, your XFX RX 580 will be the same and you will end up with the same Black Screen issue. As nothing will have changed, other than you spending some time re-installing a perfectly fine/working OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back