Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so i have gotten my hands on an XFX HD 6870 Black Edition. ITs a V1 model, but works OOB (sorta) with Lion.

Im looking for some advice / help to figure out the issues this card is throwing at me.
I'll start with what its doing in Windows first.

Randomly, and VERY frequently, the driver will just up and stop. Hanging the system, then windows recovers the driver, and all works again. This occurs even when idle, and has me frustrated as hell. I've tried 4 diff versions of drivers, including the most recent *11.9* and still, the same issues. Its even resulted in 2 BSOD's, and thats quite a feat on Win7.

Now on to the OS X Issues.
OOB, my iDell booted, and had no issues, other than only one monitor, but im not too worried about that. As soon as i try to do ANYTHING web related, be it opening safari, or App Store, everything halts, and i am unable to click on anything with my mouse, eventho i can still move it around on the screen. If i open System Prefrences, it hangs. If i open my iCloud signup, it hangs. I can run GLViewer, and get rather impressive scores from it, but i cant even open Safari without it "locking up" my system.

If anyone has a solution * be it for Windows, or OSX* could you please let me know? This card blows the doors off my 550Ti, and i REALLY want to use it, even if i only get one monitor out of it.

Thanks in advance ..
~~Grave

A lot of the time when the GPU recovers from these errors it usually has to do with a problem with either the GPU or memory on the card over heating or just plain defective.

To test if it's possible issues with the GPU or memory being unstable you can always try and underclock it. The ATI driver has this built in just lower the GPU mhz and the memory mhz.

you say this is in your 'idell'.

did you upgrade the psu in your dell when you changed the graphics card?

i would focus on sorting out the problems in windows first.
the problems in mac are likely to be the same issue you have in windows, but itll be easier to diagnose in windows first.

i have a feeling its the psu because companies like dell use psus that are matched to the power needs of the system they are selling, whereas when we build our own systems we use psus which give us headroom.

to rule out a software problem, try cleaning out the ati drivers from windows completely, ie uninstall the drivers, restart then reinstall the card.

nzalog said:
A lot of the time when the GPU recovers from these errors it usually has to do with a problem with either the GPU or memory on the card over heating or just plain defective.

To test if it's possible issues with the GPU or memory being unstable you can always try and underclock it. The ATI driver has this built in just lower the GPU mhz and the memory mhz.

Ive already tried that with Windows. I have it underclocked on teh GPU to 775mhz, the memory, i cant underclock. its at stock setting of 1150mhz, which is the lowest option given. -_-

samisnake said:
you say this is in your 'idell'.

did you upgrade the psu in your dell when you changed the graphics card?

i would focus on sorting out the problems in windows first.
the problems in mac are likely to be the same issue you have in windows, but itll be easier to diagnose in windows first.

i have a feeling its the psu, although try cleaning out the ati drivers from windows completely, ie uninstall the drivers, restart then reinstall the card.

My PSU is an aftermarket one, see my sig for the hardware list. Corsair GS600, 600W PSU. the card req's 500w minimum. Never had any issues with it, as its less than 6 months old.

Also, ive done a fresh install of windows, with the card installed, and went thru all teh driver updates. It still does it. I've also tried in another rig i built. GA H55m-S2V board, i3 proc, 4 gigs ram. Using that rig as i post, and it does it on this machine as well. Both are showing the same problem, and this rig has a Corsair TX 650w PSU. -_-

~~Grave

looks like the card might be faulty then.

i mean people complain about ati drivers, it used to be the case at least, but that is ridiculous.

like i said, the problem you are having in mac is most likely the same issue you are having in windows.
you have eliminated the other components by using it on a different system, so its not them, and you have ruled out a software problem with clean installs.

i would rma the card.

samisnake said:
looks like the card might be faulty then.

i mean people complain about ati drivers, it used to be the case at least, but that is ridiculous.

like i said, the problem you are having in mac is most likely the same issue you are having in windows.
you have eliminated the other components by using it on a different system, so its not them, and you have ruled out a software problem with clean installs.

i would rma the card.

*sigh. i hate RMA'n stuff. I do have it registered with XFX, could go that route, since i got the card second hand from a fellow Hackintosher here on TMX86.

the problem with xfx, at least in the uk, is that you dont have a warranty with them.
xfx have a warranty agreement with the retailer, so you send it back to the retailer it was bought from.

at least thats how it is in the uk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back