Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 2630 V4 with X99 microATX board in a tiny case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OS X 10.8.3
CPU
Core i7 3770K
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Fellow Hackintoshers,

Back in 2013 I built my first Hackintosh for a combination of gaming, photo and video editing for me and complex spatial and statistical analyses in Matlab for my fiancée (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ld-core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-ud5h-32gb-ram.97230/). It continues to perform my tasks very well, but on a surprising number of occasions (all when using Matlab) my fiancée was able to completely max out the system (even 32Gb of RAM). Not only that, but it has become clear to me that the kinds of analyses she runs would benefit from many more physical cores even if the individual cores are slower.

Based on discussions with her about her needs, I have come up with the following lists of desirable features and products that I think (based on reading the forums here and elsewhere) should be compatible.

Features:
·Compact (we have limited space, so any new computer must be small; I also like the idea of a portable server and enjoy a challenge)
·Lots of cores. Based on my reading, additional logical cores from hyperthreading do not increase efficiency of parallelized code in Matlab; only physical cores (according to her, CUDA parallelization is not appropriate for her work).
·Lots of RAM. I doubt performance would increase as much compared to our existing computer if the RAM/core is dramatically lower.
·SSD boot drive. I really like the mSATA drive on our current computer.
·Minimal graphics capabilities are required. After setup, we will probably hide this somewhere out of the way and use remote access to work with it. For setup I would probably use an existing card.

Components:
·CPU: Xeon E5 2630 V4 (10-core)
·Motherboard: GA-X99M-Gaming 5 (MicroATX for compactness)
·64GB (4 x 16GB), Quad channel DDR4-2133: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT
·Case: SilverStone SG12 (tiny case but still fits microATX board and ATX PSU)
·Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 (low profile; suitable for TDP up to 95W; CPU is 85W)
·M.2 boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2
·PSU: Corsair CS550M
·Wifi adapter: TPLink TL-WDN4800

I beLIEVE that these components should all work together, although I expect that completing the build would be considerably more difficult than my first one. I’ve already started bookmarking specific guides that should help.

Does anyone have any feedback on this build? Have I overlooked a fundamental incompatibility? I think the most out-there aspects are the case (very small; will this create extraordinary cooling challenges?) and CPU cooler. I realize a larger case would be considerably easier to assemble and probably easier to manage thermally.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Going Bald,

Thank you for the links. I neglected to say in my post that I opted for the Xeon for cost reasons (2630 V4 is ~$670 while the 6950 is ~$1600) and because the analyses are more core-limited than speed-limited. I don't know exactly which Matlab functions she uses, but I believe her when she says that more, slower cores will provide a sufficient performance boost. I'm sorry for the confusion.

As it happens, I did many, many forum searches to arrive at my parts list (I should have made that clear). For example, this build used the motherboard I plan to use and also a smallish case, but not a Xeon processor. Also, this build has a great description of setting up Xeons, but the rest of the specs are different. As with my first build, I happen to have chosen a combination of parts that (as far as I can tell) simply hasn't been done. I realize that makes it more challenging for the community to help. Most importantly, I have relatively little experience gauging cooling needs and capabilities with compact systems (my first build was a spacious tower that presented no cooling challenges), and I was hoping to get input on that.

The purpose of my post was to tap into the experts in the community (most of whom have way more experience with different combinations of components and may not have written guides about all that they know) to see if this collection of parts, each of which I have read being used successfully in one build or another, would all work together in the same build.

The purpose of my post was to tap into the experts in the community (most of whom have way more experience with different combinations of components and may not have written guides about all that they know) to see if this collection of parts, each of which I have read being used successfully in one build or another, would all work together in the same build.
OK, here are some things to consider:
1. maximum CPU cooler height is 82mm according to Siverstone specs for that case.
2. NH-L12 with top fan installed is 93mm, which means you lose the top fan immediately
3. The NH-L12 is a downdraft cooler, which means the direction of air flow is meant to be from the top of the cooler down toward the board and RAM.
4. The installation of the PSU directly above the CPU is going to have the PSU fan and the CPU fan fighting for a limited amount of air.

OK, here are some things to consider:
1. maximum CPU cooler height is 82mm according to Siverstone specs for that case.
2. NH-L12 with top fan installed is 93mm, which means you lose the top fan immediately
3. The NH-L12 is a downdraft cooler, which means the direction of air flow is meant to be from the top of the cooler down toward the board and RAM.
4. The installation of the PSU directly above the CPU is going to have the PSU fan and the CPU fan fighting for a limited amount of air.

Thanks! I read the NH-L12 can handle a TDP of 95W with just the bottom fan (the 2630 V4 is 85W), but I didn't think about the orientation of all the fans and how that would impact airflow and cooling. I'll do some more forum scouring to see what might be more practical. I may end up going with a slightly bigger case to accommodate a simpler and better established cooling system.

Thanks! I read the NH-L12 can handle a TDP of 95W with just the bottom fan (the 2630 V4 is 85W), but I didn't think about the orientation of all the fans and how that would impact airflow and cooling. I'll do some more forum scouring to see what might be more practical. I may end up going with a slightly bigger case to accommodate a simpler and better established cooling system.
Check the space between the top of the case an the top of the PSU - if there is 1/2" or more install the PSU with the fan to the top. This cures the problem of it fighting the CPU cooler fan for air and the 1/2" allows plenty of airflow through the PSU to cool it.
You also might want to consider the SilverStone full modular gold rated 550W PSU - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=580&area=en. and a set of short cables for better cable management - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_access.php?tno=4&area=en

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back