Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to take a look into my BIOS and see if there's something that might affect the GPU's as I boot in. I've made a ticket for this unusual boot sequence on the Clover EFI support. I'm going to do a couple of different installs to see what affects this. I'm going to do a Legacy Clover install with El Cap, and a Chimera install with Mavericks (because it's the most stable I had on this platform). The only reason I left Mavericks, was for upgraded GPU's and faster rendering in Final Cut Pro. So, we'll see if this is a Clover or Clover EFI issue. I had dual GPU's with Chimera working perfectly in Final Cut Pro and the plug in I need. This change in not being able to use the plugin directly correlates to switching over to Clover and El Capitan (except that they released new software for the plug in to work in El Capitan, so I know it's not that).

P.S. I suspect that all these problems directly relate to the boot sequence of the PCI slots, which is backwards from what it use to be. I believe that's why I'm not getting full compatibility with my cards. I tried just the 780 Ti today, which loaded of course, but it produced the same bug. This is the same card I had installed with my Chimera mavericks build.

..and a Chimera install with Mavericks (because it's the most stable I had on this platform). The only reason I left Mavericks,

I read a lot of thread about the motherboard but they are old now.
Can you make a recap of What i need to install maverick on this board? I tried but failed to install the Marvel sata, the GFX and the USB 3.0. (No need the sound I have a Focusrite sound card external)
I have the last bios 5802

The first thing is the BIOS. I've been testing 5802 and I can't get it to boot into El Capitan with Clover at all. I used 5601 even before modifying it and was able to install Mavericks with Chimera and UniBeast just fine.

So, first get the BIOS 5601.
BIOS
Disable VT-d
Enable I/OAT in CPU IIO Bridge Configuration​
Then download Mavericks.
Then use UniBeast with Chimera to install the OS using npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1.
Remember that Maxwell GPU's are not supported on Mavericks. So, definitely no 900 series cards and some 700 series cards.
I put the GPU in slot 3 and never had issues.
If you have a problem getting into the installer, you may need cpus=1.
After you have successfully installed the OS, use MultiBeast for Mavericks to install the rest of the kexts. Use EasyBeast, and select ALC 898, 3rd Party SATA, Intel Generic AHCI SATA, ElliottForceLegacyRTC, EvOreBoot, all FakeSMC plugins, NullCPUPowerManagement, USB 3.0 Universal, VoodooTSCSync 8 Core, AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0, Chimera, PCI Root ID Fix, and either MacPro 5,1 or 6,1.

After all seems well, you can mod the BIOS chip by following the instructions here [video=youtube;fHAlsQvDMN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAlsQvDMN4[/video]

It's not hard but I would recommend having a second BIOS chip ready or you may be able to use the CrashFree BIOS method as outlined in the manual.

Let us know how it goes.

For those wanting to do this install on Clover, you should be ok. I'm still testing some things out to figure out why I have the GPU bugs I do. I'm thinking now, that its more related to my original install. I'll have a busy schedule this week but I will try to do a fresh install and see what happens.

I already mod'ed the BIOS chip, nothing change in Geekbench (I've got 3 spare bios)
El Capitan was easy with your kexts but none of my graphic cards worked.
I just bought a GTX 980 ti, but can not boot either!
Maverick, was easy too, but no SATA, no USB 3.0 and no graphic card. I tried every version of MultiBeast for the Marvell chip.
This motherboard is so random, I can't understand how it works...
I can boot 3-4 times in the row and get different results...

I would like to know for maverick which version of Chimera and MultiBeast are you using?

I'm loosing my mind and times with this board! :banghead:

I already mod'ed the BIOS chip, nothing change in Geekbench (I've got 3 spare bios)
El Capitan was easy with your kexts but none of my graphic cards worked.
I just bought a GTX 980 ti, but can not boot either!
Maverick, was easy too, but no SATA, no USB 3.0 and no graphic card. I tried every version of MultiBeast for the Marvell chip.
This motherboard is so random, I can't understand how it works...
I can boot 3-4 times in the row and get different results...

I would like to know for maverick which version of Chimera and MultiBeast are you using?

What model of the GTX 980 Ti? Brand etc?
Which slot did you try the GPU on? Make sure that you get the alternate drivers installed for the 980 as it's not natively supported. I'll have to check which versions of Chimera and MultiBeast and I will upload the kext that I use for the SATA. It's possible you may have an incorrect setting in your BIOS for the Marvell set. Keep going and it will get there.

What model of the GTX 980 Ti? Brand etc?
Which slot did you try the GPU on? Make sure that you get the alternate drivers installed for the 980 as it's not natively supported. I'll have to check which versions of Chimera and MultiBeast and I will upload the kext that I use for the SATA. It's possible you may have an incorrect setting in your BIOS for the Marvell set. Keep going and it will get there.
For El capitan:
I bought the Gigabyte GTX 980 ti 3xDP (Gv-N98td5-6gd-B). From the CPU Slot 1, 3, 5 (the 7th I have only one slot, the PSU is too close.)

the alternative driver was installed, but I wasn't succeed with my Quadro K5000, 660 Ti, Quadro 4000...
I tried
GraphicsEnabler=YES or GraphicsEnabler=No
Nv_disable=1
PCIRootUID=1
NPCI=0X2000 or NPCI=0X3000
CPU=1 or CPU=31
Dart=0

The SATA (grey connectors) is recognized.

After many tries, I was thinking to have a stable OS with Maverick, but I failed for the SATA, GFX and USB3...

Right now I have WIN7 and WIN10, who is natively fast and plug & play! :/ (35312 GB)

Attachments

• 2015-11-16 17.03.00.jpg
    2015-11-16 17.03.00.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 124
How strange. Later tomorrow I will upload my a link my EFI folder so that you can put it into your USB and see if you can boot off that. I have the exact same GPU too, so I know it works. It will include all the kexts as well for El Capitan and it should make the USB 3.0 work as well. One thing that might be affecting it is 5802, which I have still not been able to boot with.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help!
Can I ask you to add the 5601 mod .rom file?

Edit: No need the 5601 .rom

I flashed my bios with afuwin in Win7 by swapping the chip power on!
I downloaded the .cap and changed it in .rom by this command.

dd bs=2048 skip=1 if=file.CAP of=file.rom

after that I moded the .rom with the tutorial of Dr.Selstam

but It won't start at all!

So random!

So , you can't start the computer at all or you can't boot into OS X? If you can't get anything to boot, you may have incorrectly flashed the BIOS chip. I would get the chip back to normal using the hot flash, then try modding it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back