Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only a thought that, based on the information just posted here by ImmortalJman, any working main-display card might at least allow other attached GPUs to work for CUDA and such. I understand going Nvidia for rendering stuff.

Dunno. What was your installation method? Update your profile info -- it's always good to also mention on there if you're using Clover. What SMBIOS are you using?

Hopefully someone else knows better than I! You have Sandy Bridge-EP, so I would suggest searching the earlier parts of this thread. Reason being, anything before September 2013 you can be sure applies to your platform, as Ivy hadn't come out yet (there are applicable changes because of the introduction of PCI-e 3.0).

I tried but it's not working!
I need a maximum of Cuda cores for rendering. I'm not fan of AMD card.
I'm thinking to buy a 980ti, if someone can confirm that's actually works! I will buy 3.

If you take a look out my previous posts, they do in fact work. I have two working right now but it would seem that if you wanted to actually get three working, then that would be a problem with Clover.

My sacrificial 780Ti is keeping the other two operating and recognized. I can use the two 980 Ti's in Final Cut Pro and DaVinci Resolve just fine. But it's an odd bug. You can't have any slots unoccupied between the initialized slot and the next GPU. So you can do slots 7,5,3 to get two cards recognized, but not slots 7 and 3, always hangs at PCI config, or slots 7 and 5, then only one card gets recognized.

I'm using BIOS 5601 with the mod that unlocks the MSR. This one runs stable but with the mentioned querks in Clover and El Capitan.

I would love to get the Z10PE working. CiderPC claims to have gotten one working with OS X and they'll populate it with multi-gpus if you want ( http://www.ciderpc.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2014/9/27_New_Z10_Super_Cube.html ), but I haven't been able to get in touch with them, so I'm thinking that they're out of business? Which is a shame because all of that awesome knowledge just went down the drain. Another site that I can't list here because of forum rules is currently struggling to get that board working.

We mostly use Premiere, but yeah, it will be nice to have FCP also performing well.

Good luck with the GPU hacking!

edited to add: 1 and 3 are CPU1 and 5 and 7 are CPU2. Do you think it's possible that >1 card will only work connected to CPU2? When you take the 780 out it doesn't work? Or did you have them on slots 3 and 5 before?

As mentioned in my post just earlier, I thought that this might be the case as well and it's not. It's just odd thing going on.

It initializes from the bottom up, PCIe slot wise. This means that I can't plug into the top most card, I have to use the bottom card. If I take the 780 out, it boots (only in slots 7 and 5) but then it only recognizes the bottom 980 Ti and not the second one. Any other configuration and it won't boot to the desktop.

Also I forgot to mention that I think there's a bug with the Maxwell GPU's and the driver support. QE/CI are not working right, because I have a Final Cut Pro X plugin from Dashwood Cinema for 3D that won't render and freezes off and on. I tried submitting the bug to their team but they believe that it's a lack of correct driver support from Nvidia because this card is not in Apples blessed list.
Hi Jason,I apologize for the inconvenience. Judging by your system profile, your system appears to be a PC running a modified version of OS X. There are known problems with these configurations, most of them traceable to the lack of proper graphics drivers.
Sadly our plug-ins require decent support for both OpenGL and OpenCL, and your configuration may be one of the many that is affected by the drivers not being officially blessed & tested by Apple.
They did give me a direction to start in and wanted feedback so at least they're willing to listen. But I don't think it's their fault. I was using a GTX 770 prior to upgrading to the 980 Ti, so I'm guessing that this is what caused the problems now.
I've started a thread on it here if anyone wants to help confirm this. If you have Final Cut Pro X already, then the plugin is free to try. Just follow my steps so I can build a case.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...pro-x-plugin-need-volunteers-confirm-bug.html

Very interesting.

Thanks for the BIOS recommendation. Oh, and as far as C612, there's also user Seandonnelly trying, over here.

eta. ps. I ordered a chip with 5601. But like poster up4, I wonder about trying out an MSR-patched 5802. Since the notes mention something about compatibility for "LAN/GPU/VGA cards."

If you take a look out my previous posts, they do in fact work. I have two working right now but it would seem that if you wanted to actually get three working, then that would be a problem with Clover.

My sacrificial 780Ti is keeping the other two operating and recognized. I can use the two 980 Ti's in Final Cut Pro and DaVinci Resolve just fine. But it's an odd bug. You can't have any slots unoccupied between the initialized slot and the next GPU. So you can do slots 7,5,3 to get two cards recognized, but not slots 7 and 3, always hangs at PCI config, or slots 7 and 5, then only one card gets recognized.

I'm using BIOS 5601 with the mod that unlocks the MSR. This one runs stable but with the mentioned querks in Clover and El Capitan.

Is this relative to the PCI 8X8X8X or 16X16?
Did you tried 3X980ti? Maybe it's just your 780ti who doesn't "compatible with El Capitan?

What happens on the even numbered slots is a good question.
Did you tried 3X980ti? Maybe it's just your 780ti who doesn't "compatible with El Capitan?
I thought he already disproved, when dual 980s appeared as only one.

So juste one card at the PCI doesn't worked? This motherboard is so random, I'm thinking to switch to windows...

Ok, to answer some of your guy's posts.

eta. ps. I ordered a chip with 5601. But like poster up4, I wonder about trying out an MSR-patched 5802. Since the notes mention something about compatibility for "LAN/GPU/VGA cards."

I thought the same thing when I tried it but so far I can't even get it to boot. So, I'm not sure what's going on there.

I don't know what your're referring to with the 8X8X8X8 or 16x16. They should all be 16 on this board. Second, yes I did disprove that it's not the 780Ti. I could get it recognized just by changing the order in which they were installed. In every case, the last one in the boot cycle, the top PCI slot, would be unrecognized. I can even boot up with each card separately (no multi-GPU) and they all are recognized and work just fine. I just can't leave any PCIe slot open in between one card and the next, or it won't boot. The only reason I have my 780 Ti in there is so that it recognizes the other two 980 Ti's. If I take out the 780 Ti, then it will only see 1 980 Ti. I didn't have this problem in Chimera, so I'm thinking that it's a problem with how the Clover EFI is implemented. I've been tempted to try the Legacy version but I'm not sure how to go about doing that just yet without screwing up some things.

I don't know what your're referring to with the 8X8X8X8 or 16x16. They should all be 16 on this board.
Thanks to take time to answer!
I'm referring to the manual, PAGE XII.

Expansion slots
4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (Dual@x16/x16; Quad@x8/x8/x8/x8)
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (@x16 speed)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (@x8 speed)
* This motherboard is ready to support PCIe 3.0 SPEC.Functions will be available when using PCIe 3.0-compliantdevices. Please refer to www.asus.com for updated details.

It's just intriguing, I don't really understand what is supposed to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back