Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If there is a thread out there that answers this please point me that way. I tried searching but had no luck in finding anything on it.

I currently have the GA-Z77X-UD5H MB, 16GB of RAM, and a Xeon E3-1240 SB, and EVGA GTX 660 TI. I have been running this for a while with windows and Linux.

My question is this, I know the MB RAM and VGA are compatible and require little work, but will my existing CPU work under OS X? I am a student and therefore my budget does not allow for me to upgrade atm.

I have used a laptop as a hack for a few years until last fall someone bought me a 15" non-retina MBP. So I am not really a stranger to all of this and until now I have really had no need to post as anything I needed had been answered. Now it seems, when I look for the answer, all I can find is information on the IB E3-1240 V2.

Thanks for the help.

Well still no replay after 2 days so I tried to do the install. I kept getting panics every time I restarted the install. So I borrowed a friends 3770k just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, it installed. I dont know why but I guess it just didn't like the Xeon.

He bought the Xeon and old server MB from me so I could get the new CPU. So I ordered the 3770k and had it shipped overnight. Should get it tomorrow and with any luck I will be able to transfer all my stuff to the new Hackintosh by Tomorrow Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back