Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> XEON 1680 v2 Custom Mac compatibility (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@FeniksTM hi and welcome to the. ... family!
as long as you are installing high sierra i guess you will be ok with my clover folder.(since mojave does not support nvidia cards)
i am attaching a zip with new serial generated (so you don't have mine. Also i checked the new serial it is clean to use). Create an install high sierra USB following this guide and replace clover folder in efi partition with the one attached(delete old BOOT and CLOVER folders first). I hope it will all go straight forward.
I am not sure if this clover is compatible with HS, i hope it is.
Also
set you bios settings following this guide
in general the post above was my gate to finally manage to make 1680 v2 work so you might find more answers there if needed.
leave you cpu at default speeds for now 3.0GHz with 3.9GHz turbo
in the ACPI>patched folder i have zipped SSDts for 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 and 4.6 OC speeds. So if all goes well you can change the bios to whatever speed you need, delete SSDT.aml and unzip the respective one.

post here if you find any problems
good luck.

Attachments

• replace in efi folder.zip
    4 MB · Views: 164
Thanks for sharing. I am planing a 1680v2 build as well. I thought it would be super easy because of the MacPro compatibility.

I thought too but nope .... it wasn't !
yet, now it is :)
Ask away if you have any problems
Currently in 10.15.2 and working like a charm.
cheers.

Hello, i can´t even comprehend your problem. i have an e5-1680 v2 on my own. i upgradet it from a e5-1660 with i upgradet from an e5-1650. e5-1620 an E5-1620 v2, e5-2690 i had, too with several x79 mobos.
My first was anevga x79 classified lavender mod. Not the easiest mobo, but bought refurbished from a seller in China it was running good with an E5-2620 in the beginning.

Because it was the only e5 CPu i had at this moment wich was officially supported. When i called up the seler in china, asking him aboutthe cPu support of an e5-2690 and after that the e5-1680 v2 he said: e5-1660V2 i would recommend you, but they all work, sie gehen alle, he said in german my mother language. Later i understood what he wanted to say.
The e5-2690 i had was running not bad, but for exaample the win 7 performace index finished wit the error message that the systemmemory was bugging like it could not work or communicate with the quadchannel memorycontroller, or it wasn´t recognized wholesome?? Newer saw this bug before and after. When i changed the cPu to an I7 3820( i deal with used PC modules a little bit), the performance index was made with an overallscore of 7,6. the cPU hat 7,6 ram also.

When i changed the cPu for the ~8. time, i have to proof every cpu with an ipdt test, ebay, my own rules,the mobo got in a bootloop like it behaved when i changed to teh e5-2690 before, which performed well overall.
it was my first 8 core 16 thread cpu and my system which works 7days 24 hours wasabsolutely stable. But in this time i had no time to play games for a minute, i didn´t teted any game exept borderlands 2 to test a GTx 680 which i installed as a dedicated physx processor( 680 and 770 are the best in this case, the effects look most beautifull, the colours. a 780 Ti is much stronger, it is imagined with a GTX 980 TI, no the Kepler looks performs really teh best, most beautifull but it isn´t comprehensible that a780TI is stronger for that. It isn´t looking as colourfull anyway...

I think the error code of the performance index showed simple that there is a cPu which isn´t supported by the Bios wholesome.

After this system or boardwass defect i got an Gigabyte x79 Ud3 with an E5-1650 as new x79 platform which i wanted to own fom this point beside my 1150 and 1155 platforms to be able to think that i use something real high end pc parts??

The 1650 which was supported officiallly worked good, even the 1660 which performs smoother because of the bigger chache and the 100 MHz higher turboclock, in reference settings.
But i overclock CPUs, it is my hobby and i have made about ~35 world records in the cPuz hof of therespective CPUs.

The 1660 is very difficult to overclock because of the bigger cache which gets very hot with a frequency over 4,6GHz in Sandybridge manufacturyprocess. I think n important factor is the pll voltage, the pll overvoltage.

I reached 13,14,15 with ~4,8 and 4,9 GHZ but i was kicked off at the end. I have to say that i didn´t had the money to buy a bettter cooler than a 120 MM aio and with this arctic liquid freezer 120 i made about 15 worldrecords beside people who used liquid helium. Not that it is cool to use such poor hardware but it explaines my sparse successes in this time.

Than i got my beloved Rampage Iv Extreme, wich i used with e5-1650, 1660, 1680 v2. i had a few Asus PX79 Deluxe which is a very stable mobo too with some I7 3930k and 3960X which is a worse 1660 in my opinion for oc. in reference settings it is avery fine chip.

To come to an end from the day my e5-1680 v2 arrived any problems didn´t exist anymore. everythimg was working perfect and i will " occopy" all 15 places of the CPUZ hof in 2 month i think.
The thing is, that i don´t want to repress someone from the places 1-3 with less than the whole 8 core and 16 threads.

Rang 15-3 i renewed about 3-4 times each place and now place 15 has a frequency of 5002 or 5007MHz. Place 4 is 5043MHz, 3 is 5123MHz but with 16 threads not with 4.

It isn´t against the strict rules of cPUz to deaktivate cores in the bios, but if your coling power is as good that you are at 92°C with 4919MHz and 16 threads, with 5043 the cPu would be dust with this adjustments.

To make this you have to freeze in the cPu with liquid " stickstoff" " trockeneis" or helium. And the cPu will be not as cool as somone woul think that it was under 0 °C minutes before?!"

Don´t know i didn´t had this options till now,i used the cooling of the winter a bit. And i now have an used liqid freezer 360 which is stronger than the 120 ~2/3. Maybe i should let it be having not the money to do it right, but everyone could outperform my reults for month and the only one who outperforms the benchmarks was me.

In nearly all hofs the higher places are made with 1 core and thread, the best overclockers work with this option. I think the best one who makes this is the leading expert for extreme cooling solutions. He made his last places at the first position allways with every core and thread, and he leads the hofs of generations of intel CPus.

Maybe i a can make it with similar cooling methods with a few CPUs, the place 1-3, the first place i couldn´t reach with 1 core at the moment, of my 1680 v2 i want and will make with " trockeneis" i have allready paid and ordered.

i don´t understand why you have such oriblems wuth installation. I would install windows 10 as a new installation so it can optimize itself to the hardware. With windows 7 i allways used the intel driver support assistant which checked the hardware and than conected with the intel support side and searched for the best driver as possible by itself.

From the end of 7 the support is replaced by the windows 10drivers or updates.

My 1680 v2 is about 5% slower than a core i9 9900K it is the the third fastest intel 16 Thread cPu and i am satisfied with the performance. But i didn´t know much about software, maybe your system or ithe programms you use are too complex and demand a much mor complex behaviour of the CPu???

I have allways the problem with writing too much, hope this isn´t a problem at this place??

But your cPu is a very good one, it is the best chip ever made.

Ach why didn´t you say that you use mac os?? in the mac os are kerneldriversignatures, i think???
which are optimized to make inkompatibilities with any other chips like the newest registered from apple, maybe??
Ther could be an way to reactivate or simulate this compatibility life check? with is so useless??

This concern invests half the mioney they have to make it imopossible to change anything without taking the sytem to a obsence expensive and decadent service. I tried to change a psu of an old mac one time, realizing that the CPu connnector was soldered at 5 different points.
When i then saw that the mobo was made useless, changing the access from the front to the backside of the mobo, just to make easy things imposible i got sick and started to hate this conncern with its boring pseudostylish design which is just designed to hide that the manufacturing isn´t half as high qualitive as it purports.
They allways use Chipsets from older generations in modules which are made the same way as described. And they never communicate that the fact of using an operating system which is customized to the parts which are puttet in by the concern which made both, concludes to the behaviour that these garbage modules are as fast as retail with windows, but that this is limited by the greed and fear not to get every cent as could possible spend in the time of using a system.

If they would use the potential of their methods, they could offer a very mighty system, but this concern is without any moral. It is an dismoral, and we all know that this liers let children work under discusting cicumstances.

I hope that everyone who earns money with this ****, awakes like captain Reinhard in disneys black hole, with a prisioned mind in an applecase. Like steve jobs is captured in a server, because of his greed wanting to buy immortality by copying an echo of its mind to a system of high complex comunicatig pcie flashfrives and much too rudimetare CPus.

From the moment you are like this you have sold your soul to the devil not realizing, that the devil was simulated by a 2008 macbok pro motherboard bug. Disgusting to think about this inferor subjekt, ah not even more a subjekt. It is possession of the apple concern.
i wil erase my text i wrote before.

Hi, Everything works fine, thanks to you and your EFI, except I can not wake the after sleep mode. Do you have any suggestions? The same system with different EFI on different hardware works and wakes how it should be.

Edit: I am on Mojave.

Hi, Everything works fine, thanks to you and your EFI, except I can not wake the after sleep mode. Do you have any suggestions? The same system with different EFI on different hardware works and wakes how it should be.

Edit: I am on Mojave.
Glad to hear that you got it working.
Now it is time to face the truth... X79s do not wake up. I am setting X79 Cutom macs since '16, and i have searched the whole known human web for them. No X79 system is able to wake up. I guess they need the freaking sleep so much.
Anyways, my advise is to give up on sleep since you run on X79. But if you want to try please share any new findings here.
Enjoy your new mac ;)

Hi all,

I have an E5-1680 V2 and I'm thinking about swapping my AsRock Extreme4 to an Asus X79 Deluxe because I think my AsRock board is limiting my overclock. (6+2 power phase) I can!t get past 4.2GHz.
I know my question is off-topic but I would only like to get a confirmation if the Asus X79 Deluxe supports the 1680 V2 out of the box or not? I need to know before I purchase the board that I'm eyeballing on eBay.
(I'm using Windows 10)
Thanks for any input on this!

Hey there! yes i confirm it supports the 1680 V2 out of the box. CPU is not included in the cpu support list.
I always OC with turbo and all cpu states working. I use my PC all day so i hate permanent OC. Nevertheless my XEON worked flawlesly with turbo set at 4.6 for few weeks, until i lowered it to 4.4 cause the fans noise got me.
So i guess if you really want to push you could reach 4.7 or even 4.8 as the Asus brochure declares ....*
The chips is a beast, but do not forget that every chip is different, so you never know if the limits come from your chip.
i use an Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 with 4 fans.

*EDIT: My bad, this is an example for 4930k

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer! You helped me a lot!
Of course, there's the chance that I might just have an extremely low clocker on my hand, but I would still like to give it a try. I would like to get 4.5GHz out of it with 2400MHz on the RAMs. That's exactly how I used my previous 1650 V2.

"I always OC with turbo and all cpu states working."
Me too. I have custom water cooling (on the VRMs too) so cooling the CPU shouldn't be a problem, but how about the VRM temps?
How does your VRMs handle 4.6GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back