Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> XEON 1680 v2 Custom Mac compatibility (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z490-A Pro
CPU
i5-11900ΚF
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all!
i purchased a XEON 1680 v2 in order to upgrade and top the X79. Sadly it seems my mobo does not support this CPU... In the meantime i searched a bit - thing i should have done before purchasing - and haven't found a single custom mac built with 1680v2. Strange since these cpus fir perfectly on MacPros 2013.
Anyway, here i stand between a rock and a hard place. Buy a new compatible X79 mobo or sell the CPU and get done with it?
So are there any users here with 1680 v2 working ?
cheers!

UPDATE: Mobo is setup with the 1680V2 and here we go...
First boot and i have a panic.
x86_validate_topology ()-16-threads-but-17-registered etc etc
I found several threads with the exact same panics but for much newer cpus like 9800x 9900k etc. There is also one in this forum but leads to no solution. Actually i havent't found anything yet with a solution even for the newer cpus. One guy replaced his mobo....
I really feel that this could be a matter of bios settings. i am "playing" for many hours now with no result.

Could this be that clover does not support the CPU? how can i check this?

ok i am going to be straight here... I NEED HEEEEEELP !!!! P L E A S E !!!
i am ready to sell every freakin X79 piece that i own along with my main rig and my soul to ... the devil...!!
I am in a crossroad here!!!!:banghead::beachball::crazy:

Motherboard does not support 1680 v2.

Looks like you need a motherboard with Intel C602 chipset.

Last edited:
Hi P1LGRIM!
I do not think this is the case. In fact i already have the gigabyte UP5 which is C602 but it can't even POST with this CPU.
Actually this CPU is listed NOWHERE! there is not a single motherboard out there with 1680v2 in the CPU support list table. And i have done extreme search! Even intel does not list it in the the XEON E5 V2 family. If you go through google though, you can find it.
My search went far and i found out that all gigabytes rev 1.1 can recognise this CPU either with C602 or X79 chipset.
Also, the Asus that i have is fully compatible like is Sabertooth X79 as well. It can boot with windows perfectly.
So since the motherboard is compatible and can run windows, plus this CPU works perfect with original mac pro 2013, should n't it be rational to try and make it work? Do i miss something else?

I do not think this is the case.

It's a server grade processor rather than a desktop one.
Many C602 boards are dual processor but the 1680 v2 does not support that configuration and most boards are end of life.

i already have the gigabyte UP5 which is C602 but it can't even POST with this CPU

Unsurprising, it's not supported on that board :

... and that board is C606 Express Chipset.

Last edited:
E5-2670 is a server grade processor but it works fine. I can't follow you.
E5-1660 V2 and 1680 V2 are used widely (well 1680 not that much considering the rarity) for Mac pro 2013 upgrades. I dont see why would not work on a custom mac while it works on windows for the same built.
Do you base what you say on the panic i mentioned previously?

Unsurprising, it's not supported on that board :

Unsurprisingly cause as i said no CPU list of any mobo shows this processor. rev 1.1 supports it but it is still not there.

... and that board is C606 Express Chipset.
This was my bad. Wrong chipset. The point still stands

I have nothing to add to this discussion.
I don't like making anyone do anything, so lets sum up.
Since you have nothing to say, you made your point. And your point is that since this is a server grade cpu it will need a C602 chipset motherboard in order to work as a custom mac.
And i am still trying to understand why and if it has anything to do with the panic.

Got your edits.
Ill keep trying although i don't see any light in this tunnel
Thank you for your time :thumbup:
if i find anything i will post to this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back