2x Radeon R9-290X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Greetings all,

I have been struggling with this for a while and decided to reach out to a larger audience.

I have a Gigabyte X99-UD4 board (F22 BIOS - Default Settings) with an R9-290X video card, 5960X CPU, and 32G RAM. It took a while, but I finally got a correct config.plist and accompanying kext and efi files to get a good boot for installation. The system boots fine for install (even phase-2 install) but always gives me a black screen when trying to boot in normal run-time mode. I have tried a variety of options (inject EDID, inject ATI, set the ATI FakeID to 0x67B01002, set the FB name to Radeon). No matter what I do, I always get a black screen. I have tried SMBIOS of 6.1 and 14.1.

I have the following "kext" files in the CLOVER/kext/10.12 directory:
  • VoodooTSCSync.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext
I have the following files in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI directory:
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • FSInject-32.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-32.efi
  • VBoxHfs-32.efi
Any advice? Again, all is good during the install but the post-install just gives me a blank screen. Attached is my config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 212
Greetings all,

I have been struggling with this for a while and decided to reach out to a larger audience.

I have a Gigabyte X99-UD4 board (F22 BIOS - Default Settings) with an R9-290X video card, 5960X CPU, and 32G RAM. It took a while, but I finally got a correct config.plist and accompanying kext and efi files to get a good boot for installation. The system boots fine for install (even phase-2 install) but always gives me a black screen when trying to boot in normal run-time mode. I have tried a variety of options (inject EDID, inject ATI, set the ATI FakeID to 0x67B01002, set the FB name to Radeon). No matter what I do, I always get a black screen. I have tried SMBIOS of 6.1 and 14.1.

I have the following "kext" files in the CLOVER/kext/10.12 directory:
  • VoodooTSCSync.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext
I have the following files in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI directory:
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • FSInject-32.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-32.efi
  • VBoxHfs-32.efi
Any advice? Again, all is good during the install but the post-install just gives me a blank screen. Attached is my config.plist.

I have a similar system (X99-Deluxe II) and I have done much the same 'experiments' to get the system to boot without the black screen.
I have had occasional success when I have the web driver AND nvda=1 selected but that is good for one boot-up only and thereafter...the black screen on subsequent boots. The only way around that is to deselect the web driver and select nvdisable=1 and then it will boot but of course no video acceleration.
This confusing sequence has happened since I upgraded to Sierra.
My prior installation with Yosemite did not experience this problem.
What you and I are experiencing on slightly different systems but same platform (X99 - Sierra) leads me to believe it may be an issue within Sierra.
I am continuing to 'experiment' and if I have a solution will post back, however if anyone has any suggestions or insight, please.....

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a spare Nvidia card lying around, dropped it in, and the system booted up just fine (direct to GUI mode). I did not have to use any of the nvidia boot options in clover (nv_disable=1, etc) for the system to boot.

Seems like I just need to find the special option for the ATI card...

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a spare Nvidia card lying around, dropped it in, and the system booted up just fine (direct to GUI mode). I did not have to use any of the nvidia boot options in clover (nv_disable=1, etc) for the system to boot.

Seems like I just need to find the special option for the ATI card...
Are you getting the full graphics acceleration?

Well, it seems I am not alone. Evidently, there is a +78 page thread describing my exact issue. Looks like I need to go to an Nvidia card to get everything supported in Sierra. Any advice?

So I followed the post that you mentioned.
Changed to iMac17.1, ran AGDPfix and rebooted with Web driver not enabled and nvda=1.
Voila as they say now I am running with the Nvidia driver working and acceleration as it should be.
Not sure if this will survive a reboot and setting the web driver to active...if all works then you will not hear me complain!
Thanks to all.

And voila...on a reboot it did not and I cannot repeat m,y initial success.
I deselected and reselected as in my earlier post to no avail...
That has me really baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back