Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
GTX 970
Hi All,

I've been following this forum for a couple of weeks now, and I'm planning on building a dual-boot Hackintosh workstation (first time!), booting Windows 7 and of course OSX (10.10).
I mostly will be using it for audio / video-editing software like Protools, Sony Vegas, After Effects, Premiere etc (using CUDA), so i'd like it to be fast and have quiet some render power, and be future-proof (at least 5 years).
I will probably be using Windows 7 most of the time, but i'd like to have also OSX to be flexible, and don't have to switch all the time between desktop/laptop.

For now, i'd like to have these following parts in my setup;

- Intel Core i7-5820K
- Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
- GeForce GTX 970
- 16/32 gb DDR4 Ram
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

I've seen some successful X99 Hackintosh builds on the forum using almost this same setup, however in the buyers-guide still X99 seems not native-suppported. So my main question is, should i wait with this build till X99 becomes supported by Apple, or should i just go build it (i'm a hackintosh newbie) ?
And I dont find so many dual-boot X99 systems with Windows, is this diffucult to setup maybe?
Also, is there a price drop expected for one of these components (CPU/MOBO/GPU) on a short term? That would also be a argument for a little waiting..
I also could already buy the components, install windows, and later try to set up a dual boot Hackintosh system, or would this be the wrong order?

A little advice would be really appreciated !

should i wait with this build till X99 becomes supported by Apple, or should i just go build it (i'm a hackintosh newbie) ?
You might wait a long time for X99 to be supported by Apple .. so it is more a matter as how much do you want it ...
And I dont find so many dual-boot X99 systems with Windows, is this diffucult to setup maybe?
No setting up dual-boot is not complicated (making it boot OS X is the most difficult thing)

Also, is there a price drop expected for one of these components (CPU/MOBO/GPU) on a short term?
After X-Mas like for almost anything techno related but don't expect anything dramatic

You might wait a long time for X99 to be supported by Apple .. so it is more a matter as how much do you want it ...

Thanks for your reply Kazbah,

I don't know if X99 will be ever supported by Apple, but i'm targeting on the the Mac Pro update which should be here in some time right? These new Mac Pro's will probably have new intel chips..does that mean that for example the Intel Core i7-5820K will then be native supported?

Your guess is as good as mine concerning the timeline for a MacPro upgrade...not until 2016 (my opinion I have no fact to prove or disprove) for sure and then ...maybe or maybe not

ok thanks.
I will update this topic when i got my components together.

Dear mascarponi (Italian?) your post said everything is in my mind, I am going to make one X99 too, most of the time I will use Premiere and Agisoft Photoscan, so I need 64GB of RAM.
Can we share informations here?
Thank you

Dear mascarponi (Italian?) your post said everything is in my mind, I am going to make one X99 too, most of the time I will use Premiere and Agisoft Photoscan, so I need 64GB of RAM.
Can we share informations here?
Thank you

Hey anestetico, of course we can share information here, that's what this forum is about right? :mrgreen:
I'll be digging a bit deeper into what other parts i will need, but for sure ill post them here when my shopping list is finished :) (I'm not italian btw..)

Ok, i updated my wishlist and i am planning on buying the whole package somewhere this month.
Just a quick overview of the parts;

CPU - Intel Core i7-5820K Boxed
MOBO- Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
RAM - 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS4C4G4D240FSA
(are there better options?)
SSD -Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
HD - I'll use some older SATA harddisks from my previous pc.

Power supply - Corsair RM650
Case - Fractal Design Define R5 or Cooler Master Silencio 652.

So, i'm still a bit doubting which RAM brand/version will be best for this setup. I'd don't need 32gb or higher at the moment. I think i'll better wait for these till prices on DDR4 drop a little.
Any suggestions?

Then, what wattage for the power supply would be sufficient? I think the 650 watt will do, but i'm not sure. Im not planning on using a SLI setup in the future.

In the end, the case, have heard a lot of good things about the fractal design. The only thing i miss on this unit is a built-in cardreader. The Cooler Master has one though.
Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back