Contribute
Register

X99 Motherboards with Socket 2011-3 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any luck getting X99 Motherboards to boot/install/have things work?

I haven't bought the hardware yet, but I was hoping to build something based on the x99 stuff.

Me too :)

I'm interested in a new build as well:

Core i7 5820K
Asus X99-Deluxe
8GB DDR4 2133 DIMM

I feel like ordering the hardware from Microcenter now and picking it up during lunch.

Although I don't think I would be able to attempt any advanced install methods for OS X so I would have to run something like Windows 8.1 to start.

Anyway, I don't honestly think I could contribute much to the install efforts at this point but my way of thinking suggests to me that while Mavericks may be the most current version of OS X, any hardware Apple would release using Haswell-E would likely run Yosemite,......not Mavericks. So beta release of Yosemite might be a better approach.

I hope this doesn't violate any rules about discussing beta software as I didn't go into any details or anything.

I'm interested in a new build too:

i7 5820
Asrock X99M Killer micro-atx board
Corsair 16gb (4 x 4gb)

Any experience with Asrock build?

I picked up a Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz and a GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 WIFI LGA with 32 gigs of ram

I am waiting for my CaseLabs case to get built which should take 5 - 10 days as well as the GTX 980 which won't even debut till sept 19, so i may not be doing much with this PC except looking at boxes.

I have all my parts here except that case and GPU or i'd start working on the hackintosh part.

I have 2 other hackintosh's here working and I know my way around enough to put a solid effort into it but I am just in limbo without my components.

Just have to be patient i guess.

I picked up a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, I7-5930k, 16GB of RAM and a Plextor M2 drive. It's blazing fast in windows, but it wont even attempt to boot (as in it wont even load the boot loader) from my OSX SSD from my 2600k, so it's going to take some work.

@zurie I suppose you could use it on a test bench with an old GPU or something. And by test bench I mean a table lol

@juise99 if you look a few pages back I posted a clover folder for testing on x99... See if you can get it going with that. Just drop it into the efi partition and boot it via uefi.

Was thinking the same thing about Yosemite. I just bought the cpu/mobo combo you were looking at - 5820k, x99 deluxe, only I went for the gusto and picked up the 16gb kit of dominator platinums.

I probably won't buy any hardware for a week or two. In that time there "might" be some additional X99 board releases. For example:

Asus X99-A = ~$250 USD
Asus X99-Pro = ~$300 USD

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99A/

http://www.techpowerup.com/205067/asus-entry-level-x99-a-lga2011v3-motherboard-starts-selling.html

Don't get me wrong I really like the Asus X99-Deluxe but I don't really like its ~$399 price.

I'm only willing to spend but so much on the initial build. Therefore, if I save on the motherboard I can spend more on the processor and thus step up to the Core i7 5930K. Chances are I won't change from my initial configuration though and will just go with:

Core i7 5820K
Asus X99-Deluxe
8GB DDR4 2133 (single DIMM)

After looking at some different manufacturers it seems that a lot of X99 boards come with a Thunderbolt header to support an add-in Thunderbolt card like the Asus ThunderboltEX II. I guess this is the Intel standardization of the proprietary Asus implementation. This is likely why Asus changed the pin configuration for their "TB_Header" as well as the connector on their boards which necessitates a transition cable.

What do you want on the Deluxe that's on on the Pro or A? Honestly most of the Asus boards seem pretty much the same to me.

What do you want on the Deluxe that's on on the Pro or A? Honestly most of the Asus boards seem pretty much the same to me.

Actually I am not sure of the full specs on the X99-A or X99-Pro yet.

I think they all will probably have a very similar PCB layout. There will be some differences in cooling solutions, physical PCIe port configurations, WiFi 802.11ac + BT 4.0 (probably wouldn't work in OS X), number of fan ports, number of USB ports, number of SATA ports, number of SATAe ports, supported length of M.2 modules, support for dual M.2, number of Intel NICs, possibly a different power subsystem,...and so on,...

Admittedly not all of it is important to me,...

Another possibility for me would be to simply purchase:

Core i7 5820K
Asus X99-A
8GB DDR4 2133

Or I could take another look at the Gigabyte and ASRock boards,...

I have heard that Asus was supposedly going to drop the prices of their boards by ~5 to ~10%,..

Either way it would help free some cash for the purchase of a new iPhone 6 Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back