Contribute
Register

X99 Motherboards with Socket 2011-3 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone wants to give building the kernel a shot, there are a couple of tutorials you can follow:
http://shantonu.blogspot.de/
http://www.mitp0sh.de/?p=172

You might have better luck than me getting it to build. Try building it without any modifications first.

If you look in osfmk/i386/cpuid.h, on line 182 you can see this:
Code:
#define CPUID_MODEL_HASWELL_SVR        0x3F
So this is correct for the Haswell-E CPU, this file doesn't need to be changed.

As far as I can tell, I think this is the change that needs to be made:
in the file osfmk/i386/cpuid.c, there is no HASWELL_SVR, only HASWELL and HASWELL_ULT.
So on line 760, you can see this:
Code:
case CPUID_MODEL_HASWELL_ULT:
add another line and put this under it:
Code:
case CPUID_MODEL_HASWELL_SVR:

I think that should do the trick, it's too bad I have no way of getting it to build.

I have attached the files so you can see what I'm talking about.

Edit: I forgot to mention, those tutorials are for an older version of mavericks, so make sure you get the 10.9.4 versions of everything.

I will give this a shot when I get off work today. Rainy Saturday here in Maryland, and I would kill to have a bootable system. Will keep everyone posted.

Yep that was it. Patched kernel is necessary for Haswell-E on 10.9.4.

It works :) :thumbup:

Does this mean you've achieved installation and booting into OSX? HW setup?

Yes- I'm putting together a temp guide now. :)

Awesome!

My plan was to try this when I finally get my parts (and parts are: 5939K, 16GB 3000MHz G.Skill, MSI X99S Sli Plus, Samsung 850Pro 256GB or 840 Pro with GTX 780Ti). Use this working installation, fix kernel, replace it and move to new machine.

It would help to know what MB you were using. Because, I guess, sound chip is I presume the only tricky part. MSI uses ALC892 or for XForce OC they use ALC1150, both of which should have support I guess...

MacPro 2013 is awesome, but X99 hackintosh is even with 5960X 30% of its price. I can live with PC case for that kind of money. :)

Any way you could make a little guide on how to build the kernel? I just keep running into error after error but according to the interwebs I'm the only one this happens to lol

Great work!

As far as I can tell manic harmon1c was the first to figure out what needed to change in the kernel and tonymac is the first person to get OS X running on the X99 platform. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back