Contribute
Register

X99 Issue after update

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you boot in to a Windows drive on the same machine, does the CPU get to 4.2GHz?

Do you have the CPU overclocked in the bios? If yes, are these bios settings still correct?
Yes it does
Clock Ratio is 42
Turbo Boost enabled
turbo boost max technology 3.0 enabled
turbo per core auto

C1E/C3/C6/c7 All enabled
EIST Enabled

Have attached cpu-z

Bob

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    118.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    182.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Ok, so the overclocking works in Windows.

How are you measuring the CPU speed in macOS?

Can I ask you to download and install Hackintool if you don't already have it installed (latest version is available from the bottom of the first post in this thread) - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v3-x-x.254559/

With Hackintool open, navigate to the Utilities tab.
Select the 'Get AppleIntelInfo' icon (first on the left below the main window).

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 14.32.24.png Enter your password when requested to allow the process to commence.

Copy and paste the results in to a text document and post a copy here, so we can see what is being generated. If anything, as it doesn't seem to work in Big Sur.

Hi Edhawk, have attached the appleinfo output.

I use istats version 6.51 for the day-to-day information.
This issue came to light when I ran a Lightworks encode for a vid and though thats slow. When I checked Cinibench I was over 1000 points down on the previous run and geek bench was also much slower. I noticed that my system wold never go over 35 Multiplier which it use to always be between 12 and 42.

Regards
bob

I notice the p states doing go over 35... I have tried to force P states in config but looks like its just 35

Attachments

• bobs-6950x.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Observations:
  • Well the MSR_Turbo_Ratio info shows the the maximum ratio for each of the 10 Cores is theoretically 4200 MHz.
    • Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 17.00.44.png
  • But the bottom line is your CPU Ratio Info sets the P-States limit for your CPU to 3500MHz.
    • Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 17.01.01.png
  • The CPU's Turbo states, i.e. those above 3500 MHz are not showing or available in macOS.
  • There is also a contradiction in the CPU Ratio Info section (bottom of the document) that states the maximum Turbo ratio/frequency is only 4000 MHz, which is highlighted in the red rectangle in the screenshot above.
I have been thinking about the screenshot you posted above in post #21, showing the CPU frequency. This I think is just the CPU-Z application reading the theoretical frequency, not the actual frequency of the CPU. It should not be relied on as proof your Windows system can run at 4200 MHz.

Logically the CPU power Management SSDT you are using should enable the Maximum Turbo Ratio of 4200 MHz, as that is what is set in the SSDT.aml. It is the most likely culprit in your system not using the upper frequencies.

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 17.07.55.png SSDT.aml settings for CPU

Something is going wrong, this could be a setting in the bios or the SSDT.aml not being used.

Sorry all this has done is confirm that 3500 MHz is the maximum P-State your CPU will achieve. I had hoped to find an answer as to why.

Can you post a copy of your Bootlog so we can see what is happening when your system boots. This can be obtained from a number of applications but as you are already using Hackintool that would probably be the easiest.

Navigate to the 'Logs' tab in Hackintool, while on the Boot sub-tab, select the 'Refresh' icon below the empty window. As you are using Clover to boot your system the bootleg should be displayed by Hackintool. Copy and paste the info from the Boot Window, so we can see what is happening when your system boots. It might tell us if there is an issue with the SSDT.aml being used or something else.

Hi, there is a boot log posted earlier in the thread. but that was before things got updated.
There is an "Out of Control with CPU numbers" message as soon as the SSDT loads and this is still present.

I ran Pikers ssdtPRGen.sh -a CPU0 -turbo 4200 -x 1 (And with a few other options too).

The mismatch of Numbers 4000 v 4200 was probably me forgetting to change the SSDT before I posted.
When I get back I'll do a new Boot log and CPU info. Im away for the weekend as I have to rebuild a Radio Studio in London but I'll be back on Sunday I'll revisit the issue then.

BTW: On Windows I ran CPU temp and it was reporting 4200 I'll run a cinibench and see what that give me.

Before I got windows to work properly the Multiplier was only 35 too.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi
I have re-ran the ssdtPRGen and this is the output of the generation, Bootlog and ApleInfo.

I can see that the script is crating a Store ("maxTurboFrequency.....: 4200", Debug)

but in bootlog

4:724 0:000 === [ ACPIPatchedAML ] ====================================
4:724 0:000 Unsorted
4:724 0:000 Inserting ssdt.aml from EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched ... Success
4:726 0:002 Out of control with CPU numbers
4:726 0:000 CPUBase=0 and ApicCPUBase=0 ApicCPUNum=20

The Apleinfo only give me a max multiplier of 35 and a Maximum Turbo Ratio/Frequency........... : 40 (4000 MHz)

Regards

Bob

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    34.7 KB · Views: 28
  • ApleInfo.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 32
  • ssdtPrgen.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 37
I think the SSDT.aml you are generating for CPU power management is correct for your Broadwell CPU.

Here is a link to the Intel Ark page for your CPU - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...extreme-edition-25m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

This is a screenshot of the CPU specs:

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 17.10.30.png i7-6950X CPU specs.

This shows that the base frequency for your CPU is 3000 MHz, the max Turbo frequency is 3500 MHz, and you would only get the top Turbo frequency of 4000 MHz if your system used the Intel Boost Technology. Which I assume is an option that can and has been set in your systems bios to OverClock the system.

The ssdtPrgen.txt file looks normal until you get to the bottom of the file. Where it shows there is an error/warning about the System Type possibly being set incorrectly. However the link provided for an explanation of the warning is no longer working. This could be related to the "machdep.xcpm.mode" which is set to 1. The warning says it should be set to 3.

The AppleInfo.txt file shows that the first two cores for your CPU will only run at a maximum of 4000 MHz, while the other eight will run at a max Turbo frequency of 4200 MHz. See the screenshot below:

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 17.34.34.png Max Turbo frequencies for the 10 cores

I don't think you will get the 4200 MHz frequency on all 10 cores even if you use a 'Custom' CPU info package when running Pike R. Alpha's SSDTPrgen script. But I wouldn't be surprised if the system only showed the max frequency for the 1st core, not the frequency the others are running at.

Your Bootleg.txt looks OK. Pity you disabled the CPU rename and other patches I added to the config.plist. You still don't need the change XHC1 to XHC rename patch, as your system doesn't contain an XHC1 device, and only the XHCI device is present.

Not sure this is what you want to hear but it is my best analysis of the data.

Thank you for your help on this issue. I re-enabled the CPU rename but I didn't see any difference which is why I disabled it.
Ive changed the bios to 4300 and regenerated the ssdt.aml but no change.

I also went back to a original cover setup before any changes from 2018 and again no differences.

I think this was issue was something apple inserted during the update as it ran perfectly before this. So I guess Im stuck at x35

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 13.51.54.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 13.51.54.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back