TitanXp
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
X99/HaswellE Raid5 Build Advice

This is my second build and the first one was back in 2012 nd I had to sell it off when I moved to another country.

I am about to start buying parts for a highend config that is to serve as a workstation. Since I cant find parts from where I am based now, i have to fly to neighboring country to buy parts and I would like to get a bit of help and advise on the parts from those with experience here.

Target: Run editing sw on Hackintosh with internal hw raid that can give me 800-1200 MB/sec. Target Geekbench score >30000

I am targeting i7 5960x with X99 Ga or Asus board and 32Gb ram and a GTX 980 with a rocket raid or atto raid card that can help me hook up 8-10 sata3 7200rpm 3TB drives inside the case.

I am not sure what raid controller or Pcie-Sata controller I must buy to hook up 8-10 drives inside the case so I can get that io speed from a RAID5 config.

I have gone through few many posts here but most say they gets about 700MB/sec. What is the best card(s) to buy to get to the speed? Also Do I need a Pcie Sata3 controller card to which i can hook my 8-10 drives or is there a RAID card to which I can hook 8-10 drives directly???

Another doubt is regarding i7 5960x vs Xeon-E5-2680 v2 . any ideas on the performance difference?

Appreciate the inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back