Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This problem was driving me nuts so I thought I would post my solution in case anyone else ran into it.

I was excited to see Sierra running perfectly on my 59060x / X99-Deluxe rig after so much trouble getting Yosemite to work. However, Sierra requires a new System Defintion (Mac Pro 3,1 no longer boots in Sierra.) The Haswell-E / X99 guides suggested Mac Pro 6,1 which did indeed work, however, I had to patch AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext to work around the monitor shutting off after the white Apple logo (something about the MacPro system definition shutting down your GPU on boot.)

The problem is that the patched AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext causes the GTX980 (I have two in SLI) to be recognized as "Nvidia Card 33 MB" by the web drivers, making the graphics painfully, unusable slow at 4K. The solution is to use an unpatched AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext and iMac14,2 System Defintiion. The fans ramp to 100% and the monitor blanks just after the white Apple logo, but the display switches back on, the fans calmn down and the web drivers run perfectly.

If you experience a long delay during boot, update to the latest FakeSMC.kext from the Resources section.

so far it is the only solution, only that does not give me the resolution I need (2560 x 1080), how I could fix it?

chiechi

I'm glad all is working on your end!

Good ol Sierra 10.12.6 - has killed my functioning computer!

I'm doing my best to get this computer running 100%.

I have a major problem with my Asus X99 Pro w/ a GTX 980 SC. My card produces a fatal error in the verbose screen. I have followed the tutorials. I've lost all of my audio as well.

So right now - I have nothing showing in the slots and devices in the NVIDIA driver manager prefs. All updates up until yesterday have been applied. So I do have the up to date drivers - it just shows that GM204 controller for the GTX980 SC is unsupported (fatal error)

Clover Config 2.0 - going in circles here.

I'm on hour 8 of trying to get this system running again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back