Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone!

I’ve been an avid fan of this website and the tools for a number of years now, and I can’t thank everyone enough for all the insight and information that’s posted on this site. I’ve done probably about 10 builds now, and this site has been my goto resource when searching for solutions or instructions.

I haven’t posted up until today, as the information in all of the existing posts has generally lead me to find solutions to any issues I’ve had in the past… but now I find myself with a bit of a USB issue that I have yet to find a solution for.

One of my close friends asked if I would help him with a custom build… Asrock X99 OC Formula and a 5960X… So a couple months later, we’ve got Yosemite running and working for the most part, however there’s a couple remaining issues which I’m not sure the best way to proceed with.

The first (most urgent) issue is that he has a USB sound card called an ORION 32 from Antelope Audio.

The sound card… seemingly works fine, and then at random intervals (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 10 hours) the audio will just start distorting momentarily. 50% of the time it returns to normal within a second or two, and the other 50% of the time the audio will stop working.

USB thumb drives work fine, and so does the keyboard receiver, the mouse receiver, and even the bluetooth dongle. I don’t notice any issues with any of them as far as I can tell. We’ve tried every single USB port (2.0 and 3.0) on the motherboard, and all result in the same.

I see this error which seems to coincide with the timing of the distortion/glitch in the ‘dmesg’ output:

AntelopeAudioInputStream/545: warning: ioComplete error e000400e
AntelopeAudioOutputStream/588: error: ioComplete: error e000400e

the warning comes up every so often but the error only comes up when the distortion/glitch happens.

I’m running clover, and not injecting anything USB related. I have FAKEPCIID for the Broadcom Wifi half mini, but I don’t think that’s affecting it.

I haven’t tried the generic USB3 kext at this point but since all other USB devices seem to be working just fine, I’m hesitant to switch up the Kexts.

Since the problem doesn’t happen right away, we’ve had a tough time trying new config settings and thinking we’ve solved it, just to end up getting a call from him hours after I already got back home, telling me that it happened again.

The USB interface isn’t cheap so I can’t ask him to try a different one, and I’ve verified that it does work fine on a mac pro running the same version of yosemite

Does anyone have any insight into what may cause something like this? If any additional info would be helpful just let me know and I’ll go over to his place and post it as necessary.

Here’s a couple other lines from 'dmesg' that I believe are unrelated but may be pertinent:

USBF: 338.534 IOUSBCompositeDriver(Orion 32)::GetConfigDescriptor - GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) #2 returned NULL, trying ResetDevice and then trying again

Antelope USB Audio (Version:3.07 Build:49632c2 2015-12-02/17:41): starting for device 23e5 a040

Sound assertion in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 366
Sound assertion in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 366

and here’s what About This Mac Says under USB…

Orion 32:

Product ID: 0xa040
Vendor ID: 0x23e5
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Antelope Audio
Location ID: 0x14330000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

Any ideas?

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.9 KB · Views: 252
Hello Everyone!

I’ve been an avid fan of this website and the tools for a number of years now, and I can’t thank everyone enough for all the insight and information that’s posted on this site. I’ve done probably about 10 builds now, and this site has been my goto resource when searching for solutions or instructions.

I haven’t posted up until today, as the information in all of the existing posts has generally lead me to find solutions to any issues I’ve had in the past… but now I find myself with a bit of a USB issue that I have yet to find a solution for.

One of my close friends asked if I would help him with a custom build… Asrock X99 OC Formula and a 5960X… So a couple months later, we’ve got Yosemite running and working for the most part, however there’s a couple remaining issues which I’m not sure the best way to proceed with.

The first (most urgent) issue is that he has a USB sound card called an ORION 32 from Antelope Audio.

The sound card… seemingly works fine, and then at random intervals (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 10 hours) the audio will just start distorting momentarily. 50% of the time it returns to normal within a second or two, and the other 50% of the time the audio will stop working.

USB thumb drives work fine, and so does the keyboard receiver, the mouse receiver, and even the bluetooth dongle. I don’t notice any issues with any of them as far as I can tell. We’ve tried every single USB port (2.0 and 3.0) on the motherboard, and all result in the same.

I see this error which seems to coincide with the timing of the distortion/glitch in the ‘dmesg’ output:

the warning comes up every so often but the error only comes up when the distortion/glitch happens.

I’m running clover, and not injecting anything USB related. I have FAKEPCIID for the Broadcom Wifi half mini, but I don’t think that’s affecting it.

I haven’t tried the generic USB3 kext at this point but since all other USB devices seem to be working just fine, I’m hesitant to switch up the Kexts.

Since the problem doesn’t happen right away, we’ve had a tough time trying new config settings and thinking we’ve solved it, just to end up getting a call from him hours after I already got back home, telling me that it happened again.

The USB interface isn’t cheap so I can’t ask him to try a different one, and I’ve verified that it does work fine on a mac pro running the same version of yosemite

Does anyone have any insight into what may cause something like this? If any additional info would be helpful just let me know and I’ll go over to his place and post it as necessary.

Here’s a couple other lines from 'dmesg' that I believe are unrelated but may be pertinent:

and here’s what About This Mac Says under USB…

Any ideas?

Not sure what to make of the error codes but having gone through various annoying issues with high end DACs, I would suggest the following hardware solutions:

1) Get a natively supported USB PCIE card and connect to that. I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I027GPC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

2) Get a powered USB hub with an asynchronous clock like this:

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

However, if the DAC was working fine at a prior time in Yosemite, then the relatively recent changes to the USB drivers starting with 10.10.4 may be the cause.

Hope that helps

Hi there, did you resolve the audio glitch issue with the orion32?
I have the orion 32+ and can't seem to connect it via thunderbolt, inspite of having connnected a UAD Apollo, Belkin thunderbolt expansion and sonet expansion chassis. For some reason the orion32 only connects via USB, and when it does we get this strange audio glitch. Was wondering if you resolved this issue

Config:-
X99 Asus
5960X
GTX 760

Hi there, did you resolve the audio glitch issue with the orion32?
I have the orion 32+ and can't seem to connect it via thunderbolt, inspite of having connnected a UAD Apollo, Belkin thunderbolt expansion and sonet expansion chassis. For some reason the orion32 only connects via USB, and when it does we get this strange audio glitch. Was wondering if you resolved this issue

Config:-
X99 Asus
5960X
GTX 760

Similar issue here regarding thunderbolt on antelope, except it will connect but no audio see below. USB seems to work ok. Make sure to switch ur device between thunderbolt and usb through the units physical control panel.

Running Gigabyte Z170-UD5-TH board here. So Thunderbolt 3 x 2 ports. Star tech adapter and apple adapter for thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2. Got Thunderbolt working, will work with firewire adaptor as well when connecting a RME Fireface 800 and all funcations as it should. However, also in similar boat regarding Antelope, I have a Orion 32+ and haven't been able to get it to work on a hackintosh with El Capitan or Sierra. It will detect and connect and can be controlled the unit, so mixer and routing respond, but no audio will flow over thunderbolt with this setup (on some boots it does, but it's all craclked and not right the audio, then next boot nothing), routing matrix was correct and using TB Play on the outs. Works on USB connection and all functions with audio flowing.
Tested on latest mbp via thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adaptor and find that audio flows and interface works as it should over thunderbolt. So seems to me at this stage Antelope Thunderbolt interfaces are not at all liking non apple hardware like we use in hackintosh's....

Sorry don't have an answer for you, but thought would let you all know my experiences so far with Antelope on hackie's... Maybe someone else has been successful and can enlighten us as to what made it work :) It would be great to use it via Thunderbolt as latency will be better and can run more channels of course.

Hi

I think your issue might be related to the X99's handling of USB. I have glitches on both Windows and Linux. I get the same audio issues, just as random as yours and I get mouse dropouts and lags every so often. Plugging in a USB SanDisk thumb drive can rarely make the mouse log up for up to a couple of minutes. I have dropouts and issues with my Novation USB keyboard, which sometimes isn't recognised. I also get Novation issues under Bitwig demo in Linux.

If I'm right then this error goes right across X99 motherboards and is related to the X99 chipset. There is no other explanation for so many different manufacturers producing the same errors. Users of PCIe, Thunderbolt and Firewire interfaces don't have the same issues. They seem to have different issues relating to compatibility. This is something different. Its a random intermittent dropout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back