Contribute
Register

X99 and El Capitan Install and Misc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, you'll notice that if you remove Null it has no impact. You'll also notice you'll be 2000 to 4000 points down on GB scores. After testing this the last 2 weeks or so I can't find any bios changes or Clover options that fix it, still looking. In mean time I'm going to continue dual booting Yos and ElCap until someone can identify the problem... Hopefully others will do the same test and further confirm. Thanks again.

Yup, I'm down 4K points in GB3. I don't know if it's just reading the CPU clock speed wrong or it's really causing the CPU clock speed to fluctuate.

Yup, I'm down 4K points in GB3. I don't know if it's just reading the CPU clock speed wrong or it's really causing the CPU clock speed to fluctuate.
The answer is pretty clear since all benchmarks show the same drop in scores... One more thing, if you add darkwake=0 to you boot args. you'll probably find ElCap will sleep and wake without the appearance of a problem. But run GB, let's say you're down 3000 pts from normal, now let the box sleep, wake it up in a few minutes and run it again. You'll be down another 2000 pts from the run you did before you let it sleep. Do this few times and you'll wish you were running a mac-mini. lol Gotta crash...

Ah, here everyone is.

I've also taken a hit in Geekbench. Not quite as big as some of you all, but you can see the difference for sure.

This was my 32bit GB3 under 10.10.5 - 18090 Multi Core
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3597006

While El Cap takes 32bit GB3 down to 16814 Multi Core
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3650437

Single Core performance is relatively the same, though, and nothing like the early days of no stepping, down in the 2K area.

~~~~~~

In addition, I've got a major bug on my GA-X99-UD4. It seems that I cannot boot any El Capitan media while I have XHCI Handoff disabled in the BIOS. The good news is, if I use GenericUSBXHCI.kext injected via Clover, I have core distribution stabilized, similar to how XHCI handoff being DISABLED helped in Yosemite. Also, no weird bugs like Yosemite had with the kext (for me, it was keyboard/mouse not being detected at boot and random disconnects during use.)

There is. It can be corrected using a linux boot disk and poking the correct entries into the UEFI using efibootmgr.

Mind detailing what you think it the problem and solution? I will test it - got Ubuntu and Kubuntu live DVDs to test with any time. (at least between 6-8 PM - rest is 12 hour shift, sleep and travel time:crazy:)

Ah, here everyone is.

I've also taken a hit in Geekbench. Not quite as big as some of you all, but you can see the difference for sure.

This was my 32bit GB3 under 10.10.5 - 18090 Multi Core
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3597006

While El Cap takes 32bit GB3 down to 16814 Multi Core
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3650437

Single Core performance is relatively the same, though, and nothing like the early days of no stepping, down in the 2K area.

~~~~~~

In addition, I've got a major bug on my GA-X99-UD4. It seems that I cannot boot any El Capitan media while I have XHCI Handoff disabled in the BIOS. The good news is, if I use GenericUSBXHCI.kext injected via Clover, I have core distribution stabilized, similar to how XHCI handoff being DISABLED helped in Yosemite. Also, no weird bugs like Yosemite had with the kext (for me, it was keyboard/mouse not being detected at boot and random disconnects during use.)

Hi - I see you have the same MB as me so a quick question - do you have working on-board audio and if "Yes" can you share some information how you made it work? Currently few people claim to have working audio with x99 but I still have no success with it...
About the boot issue when XHCI hadoff is disabled. I don't have such problem - can boot from Clover install USB (have to disable the all boot devices or the USB fails to boot from USB) and can boot from an already installed 10.11 from non-SSD drive with clover 3270 installed on the HDD partition

About lower Geekbench results - I see similar "low" numbers but the funny thing is if I re-run the test (no reboot) the score runs up.

Odd I found my GB scores to go up with this release. My best is about 22500, 64bit Multi with 4.3 OC on a 5820k. I am running 6,1 Mac Pro with uncheck generate C and P states in Clover and also running NullCPU kext.

However sleep flat out doesn't work for me. If it goes to sleep the machine just reboots. When that happens it also takes it like 10 reboots before it will actually POST properly again.

Mind detailing what you think it the problem and solution? I will test it - got Ubuntu and Kubuntu live DVDs to test with any time. (at least between 6-8 PM - rest is 12 hour shift, sleep and travel time:crazy:)

See my post in modhouse for draft guide. Feedback welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back