Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
There are plenty of threads related to El Capitan, yet most of them are irrelevant to the X99 unsupported chipset. Let's attempt here to gather the info we need for all X99 boards...

Installer: We'll create a USB El Cap installer using Apples "createinstallmedia".
1. Verify you have downloaded and have "Install OX X El Capitan.app" in your Application folder.

Format a 16GB+ USB with GUID partition mapping and name it Install. (8GB drives may work for you but I've had a problem with them)

In terminal run the following script.

PHP:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan\ GM\ Candidate.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan\ GM\ Candidate.app --nointeraction

Be patient, this will take some time...

createinstall.png

I'm assuming your motherboard supports UEFI therefore we're installing CloverUEFI (most info here is likely to work with Clover legacy but I have no ability to test it).

Now we need to install Clover r3270 or later to (Get it HERE) to the "Install OS X El Capitan GM Candidate" USB.
Run the Clover installer with these settings.

Clover Install.png

When the installer completes the EFI partition will be mounted, don't close it.
Now we need a few more files... You can get them here:

Copy FakeSMC, VoodooTSCSync, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11
Copy HFSPlus to EFI/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI
Copy the attached config.plist to EFI/EFI/Clover/
Delete EFI/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi

Reboot to your installer, select Install OX X El Capitan and follow the prompts. Again, Reboot to your installer, select Install OX X El Capitan to complete the installation. Install Clover to your HD following the same instructions as installing to your USB, your HD should now be El Capitan bootable.

There are so many variables right now it's impossible to cover them all, that's what this thread is about!
This process should work for most X99 gigabyte boards and hopefully with some input we can address all X99 issues...

View attachment config.plist

Note: nv_disable=1 is only needed with unsupported nVidia GPU.

config.plist under graphics ->inject you have intel = true. No intel GPU in X99 CPUs, so change to false (not that it makes much difference - you cannot inject what is not there, now can you?)

Also note nv_disable=1 only needed with unsupported nVidia GPU.

config.plist under graphics ->inject you have intel = true. No intel GPU in X99 CPUs, so change to false (not that it makes much difference - you cannot inject what is not there, now can you?)
lol, but I guess I should change it to avoid any question.

Also note nv_disable=1 only needed with unsupported nVidia GPU.
Of course I installed with a 970 but I'll make a note of it the orig. post.

OK, new build of installer on 16Gb USB and your config.plist and it booted up and ran much better for the first install part. On the reboot to the second install part and it got to the black screen/white apple with about a quarter of the progress bar completed and did a kp. Turned it off and crashed. Will try again tonight.

Update: still kp halfway thru. using -v dart=0 npci=0x2000 nv_disable gets me to DSMOS has arrived and it hangs there, the activity light on the USB drive madly flashing for about half an hour, then the light goes out and nothing - stays at DSMOS has arrived.
Going to use the config.list that was successful with Yosemite and see what that does.

Might try adding nullcpu and boot "without cache" on the second stage... You might also try the attached OsxAptioFix from r3274 which is supposed to fix some X99 issues...

View attachment OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi.zip

Might try adding nullcpu and boot "without cache" on the second stage... You might also try the attached OsxAptioFix from r3274 which is supposed to fix some X99 issues...

View attachment 152187

Is this the one with the 128 offset? I am using the one from RehabMan's repo.

Still no luck with ElCap GM on the X99M Killer.

Built new everything on a new USB, with a new hard drive, with a fresh download.
It remains that I can install Yosemite and it works like a champ except for audio, but ElCap seems to be a waste of time on this board. The install USB works to get to the first install screen and the 17 minutes remaining screen, then reboots as it should to the Clover screen, select the Install again and it gets to the 24 minutes remaining screen, reaches the end at "less than a minute remaining" and stays there for about 5 minutes then switches to a black screen on which appears the outline of a pointer in the upper left corner every once in a while, but goes no farther. Been sitting on that screen for an hour now. Bout ready to quit on OS X on X99 until the chip is supported by Apple and just move this build to the office for Windows use only. Windows 10 runs like a champ on it.

I get the same behavior with the black screen if I install Yosemite first, get it booting from HDD and download/run the ElCap GM install app in place over Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back