i7-5820k @4.2GHz
Graphics
GTX980Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,

this is my first attempt to build a hackingtosh for video editing in Final Cut Pro X. I've some experience with old hardware and server cpus, but never built a mac. So bear with me :D

Right now I have this for the build: GTX780 (3gb Zotac), BeQuiet 580W and some harddrives.
I do own a 2015 MacBook Pro with Sierra.

I'm trying to build a X79 based Hackintosh with a Xeon E5-2680v2, since DDR3 and the Xeon are fairly inexpensive right now.
My other Option would be a X99 with an OCed i7-5820K (I'm a fairly experienced overclocker, so that should work).

Is the X79 possible? If so, what Mainboard should I use and how do I set it up? (completely new to Hackintosh but I have some friends with hackies)
The PC needs to work for OSX 10.12 Sierra or newer and I will have a second drive with Win7/10

Which one is the easier solution? Is the X79 even worth it?

I would first look at current builds with the 6 core 12 thread I7-8700k. I know that ram and graphics prices are high right now but you do already have the 780 you can use till they drop in price after the cryptomining bubble breaks. It's going to be many times easier to get a working system when you go with Z370 compared to an old X79 system. The best part is that this new build will last you many years longer than any 5 y.o. X79 build will. Performance will be better too. Especially if you get the RX 580 later on which is good, much better than any Nvidia card in FCP X.

Thanks for your Answer!
Is it that much more difficult on X79/X99 than Z370? I really dont want to drop 300 bucks on the CPU and another 300 on memory. X99 is already expensive enough with this darn DDR4.

FYI: I currently have a 6-Core X58 System, which is fine for everything, except it doesn't have OSX... So I really dont see the need to have this years hardware, if even 8 year old hardware is more than enough. Plus 170 bucks gets you a 10-Core Xeon E5, which is why I'm interested in the first place

You can find out the different levels of difficulty by reading User Builds for both types of systems. Here are two examples:

Z370 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/pastrychefs-strix-z370-g-build-w-i7-8700k-gtx-1080.239969/

X79 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-extreme-32gb-ram-gtx-770-4gb-success.130386/

Read through the full length of each one and see what level of work you want to put into a fully working system. The time you spend at that is valuable too. If speed doesn't matter and you won't be editing and rendering 4K video the older Xeon will be alright but I think you'd get much longer useful life out of a new Z370 system that is great for overclocking and handles 4K without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back