i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
OS X 10.11 El Capitan has brought some serious incompatibility issues to some motherboards like my X79 Asus Rampage IV Black Edition and many others.

First let me give credit to Stinga11, pokenguyen, RehabMan and all the others who have spent time mapping out this problem. Also to PikeRAlpha, Revogirl, Master Chief, RehabMan and dgsa for all I have learned from them about ACPI.

EDIT: RehabMan explains this problem much better in his post [Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

The problem with my RIVBE, for example, is that the new kexts in El Cap look for a specific device (EHC1), ports (PRT1-8), and hub (RHUB) naming based on the SMBIOS system ID (MacPro6,1) you are using. They also don't define a second USB 2 device for MacPro6,1. In my BIOS's DSDT, the USB2 devices are named EUSB and USBE and have ports named PR30-PR37 that are wrapped in a parent port named PR10 inside a hub named HUBN. As Stinga11 and pokenguyen have pointed out in their posts and guides at other sites, you can rename your devices in your ACPI tables (DSDT/SSDT) to match what the kexts look for, or you can modify the kext's info.plists to look for the devices that are defined by you DSDT, or use a combination of both methods. However, if you want to install El Cap from a USB stick, you will need to use a system defininition (MacPro3,1 worked for me) and change the names of the USB 2 devices, their ports and hubs in your ACPI tables to match. I did all of this for my first install and then changed all of it again to match my preferred MacPro6,1 sys def on my new install. Even after matching the way the USB 2 device is defined in the real Mac Pro 6,1 ACPI table, I still had a huge bug. All the USB 2 ports except for 1 would be dead after wake from sleep. I began to test every variation of defining the devices in ACPI with the same or worse results. I reflected on some work I did earlier this year with dgsa that involved stripping down the OEM DSDT to it's smallest form (this was based on work that he had done with Master Chief and Revogirl a long while back). I finally found a solution to the whole problem that is so simple that it feels like cheating.

Simply remove the USB 2 devices from your ACPI tables. You can either delete the entire EUSB and USBE devices and all references to them from your DSDT or use the code below in a SSDT.
Code:
DefinitionBlock ("iASLwAigOV.aml", "SSDT", 1, "APPLE", "Fix_USB2", 0x00001000)
{
    Name (_SB.PCI0.EUSB._STA, Zero)
    Name (_SB.PCI0.USBE._STA, Zero)
}
The USB 2 devices will be loaded as their PCI device IDs instead of EUSB, USBE, EHC1 or EHC2.
Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 7.32.14 PM.png
They perform better than they did in older OSs and load and function properly no matter what system definition I choose. The kext's plists require no modifications and the only prep I have to do to install El Cap from USB 2, is to add a SSDT to EFI/clover/ACPI/patched folder of my USB installer (/Extra for chimera or chameleon).

USB 2 in El Capitan 10.11

thanks! I used maciasl to create an SSDT with only your code in it and placed it in the location you mentioned. Set the os as 10.11, system def as MacPro3,1 and boot flag of npci=0x2000 and was finally able to boot the unibeast usb installer. I've been fighting with it on my RIVBE since the day el cap released!

Anything special you did after install like kexts, boot flags, or SSDT DSDT creation?

Can I use the DSDT and SSDT I created with maciasl on Yosemite or do I need to make new ones?

Thanks again

I had some issues getting booted after install but i finally got it. Now just trying to find my way around clover and get everything setup right. Ive used multibeast for the past 5 years or so. Like i said if you have any advice how to get it configured properly let me know. Once i get it working ive gotta put all my hardware back in and turn back in my overclock

Thanks again for the help i was about to give up

I had some issues getting booted after install but i finally got it. Now just trying to find my way around clover and get everything setup right. Ive used multibeast for the past 5 years or so. Like i said if you have any advice how to get it configured properly let me know. Once i get it working ive gotta put all my hardware back in and turn back in my overclock

Thanks again for the help i was about to give up
Sorry I haven't been monitoring this post. See my build guide. It should answer a lot of your questions but you'll need to make your own ssdt for the CPU as the one I provide is for the 6core 4930k.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-iv-extreme-32gb-ram-gtx-770-4gb-success.html

Awesome! Thanks! I'm just getting back to my build today so perfect timing!

I managed to use a previously installed 10.11 ssd to boot my Supermicro X9DRL-iF, but none of the USB ports would work. Luckily I had enabled remote desktop so I was able to access the Hackintosh. However whatever I tried I couldn’t get them to work. I managed to edit the DSDT file replacing EUSB with EHC1 and that worked although changing USBE to EHC2 didnt. Im sure there must be a better way of making it work. You idea looks good but Im unsure which bits I need to replace in DSDT. Ideally I would prefer a SSDT... but I havent a clue how to make one. Can you have a look at my original DSDT?

Attachments

• Supermicro X9DRL-iF 2.zip
    498.2 KB · Views: 220
Hey Shilohh. Merry Christmas

I posted this on your build thread but it might be more appropriate here as it's all about USB 2.

I have a gigabyte X79-UP4 board, and a 3930K. I have the same name for my USB devices/hubs...USBE and EUSB. I tried using the hack above, (as well as the SSDT you provide in your build guide) and it isn't having an effect.

I previously had USB 2 working with El Capitan - I believe I changed the plist in a kext, but for the life of me can't remember how to do it or find my old work even though I took a backup. It was so long ago. Sorry.

Anyway, any tips to make USB 2 work on these X79 boards with these names for USB? I don't care which way I do it, with a SSDT or DSDT or a kext or whatever. I just don't get why the simple method you have here isn't having an effect.

I'd almost not care, as I have put in a USB 3 PCI card and most things are connected that way. But I do have the broadcom WIFI/Bluetooth card and unfortunately bluetooth is via USB on the motherboard, and a bunch of things need bluetooth to work. Plus it's just nice to make everything work as it should

THANK YOU and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Haha forget it. I solved it. It DOES work. But I stupidly had FakePCIID_XHCIMux in my S/L/E and I suddenly made the realisation that is trying to route USB 2 to USB 3 and I have USB 3 turned off in BIOS. I'm an idiot!!

Funny thing is - the MOMENT i removed them from S/L/E my bluetooth fired up - no restart, nothing, I just suddenly got a notification my trackpad was paired and I'm like WTF. HAHA! Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back