Contribute
Register

X58A-UDSR + GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 Compatible with Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Everyone, ive done my original build with snow leopard back a couple years ago and decided to do some upgrades. My Original build was the following;

1 x Gigabit X58A-UDSR Motherboard
1 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX
1 x 5870-1GB Graphic Card
1 x 80GB SSD
1 x 1TB SATA6 HDD
Snow Leopard

Proposed Upgrades:
2 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX (24GB Total)
1 x ASUS GTX670-DC20C-2GD5
1 x 120GB SSD
1 x 1TB SATA6 HDD

I understand I will require a new loader (unibeast 2.1.1) and have acquired mountain lion.
what I would like to verify is my proposed spec compatible and what challenges may I run into?

Hey Everyone, ive done my original build with snow leopard back a couple years ago and decided to do some upgrades. My Original build was the following;

1 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX
1 x 5870-1GB Graphic Card
1 x 80GB SSD
1 x 1TB SATA6 HDD
Snow Leopard

Proposed Upgrades:
2 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX (24GB Total)
1 x ASUS GTX670-DC20C-2GD5
1 x 120GB SSD
1 x 1TB SATA6 HDD

I understand I will require a new loader (unibeast 2.1.1) and have acquired mountain lion.
what I would like to verify is my proposed spec compatible and what challenges may I run into?

Rbot204

Your motherboard appears to be unknown please check that number and correct it if its in error,

Also the X58 chipset is for the 1366 cpus, I have two of these x58 systems one running 10.8.2 ML and a partition for 10.7.2 and also a partition for OSX SL 10.6.8.

My Gigabyte motherboard works very well w all 3 OS's now the other which is an ASRock X58 is running SL and Lion but not ML. And none of the installs were easy or what we here would call "normal" more like Computer from hell installs (ASrock) that our tools had problems with and made me do a lot of tweaking by hand.

As to the video the nVidia 670 card is very well reviewed w OSX ML (again searches) do note that these cards are PCI 3.0 spec and your motherboard is only PCI 2.o spec so no advantage here - and you're not going to get the PCI 3.0 advantage until you get a CPU and Motherboard that support it. Either way that video card will work w the current motherboard or a new one.

I am running XEON 5570 cpu's which are server grade processors. Not sure what your planning to run in your system.

But before beginning the voyage I would do some searches w Google on the motherboard part number the CPU and the words Mountain lion. (separate search for each) To see what hits you get.

As to other items - if your motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R then we have only 2 sata 6gb ports (SATA3.0) and then the rest are sata 3 gb ports (SATA 2.0) so bear that in mind. If you're not using 6GB ports don't waste money on this hardware use some Sata 2.0 hardware. Of course the manufacturers are moving away from these spec'd items so good luck w that.

Next for me would be to get a EVGA SR-1 and run both 5570's so I can crunch video...

@totenkopf4
the information off the motherboard itself says GA-X584-UD3R my apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back