Contribute
Register

X58A-UD7+i7-920 and Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok , ty for ur effort GB, I have the app. It is more that the board are getting old
Be aware that there is no nVidia driver for Mojave.

Be aware that there is no nVidia driver for Mojave.
Hi,
Going Bald
EDIT:
Now up and running.
Problem was with installer wanting to do a firmware upgrade before installing. Stork suggested changing system definition to iMac 14,2 and installing with that and then changing it back to Mac Pro 5,1 (thanks, Stork). Did that and upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave went smoothly. APFS on SSD seems a bit faster than HFS+ on a platter drive; apps open and close quickly. So far, even with 12 apps running at once I have not seen the "spinning beachball" of system busy indication.
To get audio after upgrade, per instructions (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-applehda-audio.260004/ )remove all previous audio install (config.plist edits, ALCHDA extensions, old AppleALC.kext, old lily.kext, etc.), then add new lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext to Clover/kexts/other and reboot. Audio working again. Thanks, toleda.

The only odd thing happening is on boot. The progress bar under the apple gets about halfway and the screen flashes a bright white and almost instantly presents the log-in screen.

View attachment 356027

I like the dark mode.
Well, it looks as if my venerable Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) is unable to run Mojave. The installer insists I have to have a GPU supporting Metal and File Vault turned off. The System Profiler says my RX580 is metal supported, but I could not get past that first screen.

View attachment 339378
However, there is more than one way to get to the installer.
I re-inserted my HS drive, booted it and opened terminal, typed in:
sudo /Applications/Install\ MacOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/ Contents/Resources and the installer started. Lots of text lines later it tells me:
unsupported CPU
unsupported CPU
unsupported PCH

does about 20 lines of checksums and reports corruption for each one.

How do you get a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 definition instead of the 2010 one? I have ordered a MacPro upgrade kit with a 6core Xeon W3670, but it may not get me the 2012 definition when I install it. Will have to wait and see.
HI,Going Bald,My MB is just the same as yours:X58A-UD7,my cpu is x5650.I'm trying to install mojave,i can boot from usb,and enter clover screen,but when i try to install mojave,there are some "disk2:IO error",I can't see my HD's partition.How do you fix x58 io disk error issue?

Mine recently gave up the ghost, flashing different colors and showing triangles and tears on the desktop. I replaced it with a Gigabyte Aorus RX580 which works quite well with Lilo and Whatever green kexts.

Well, just shows you you shouldn't talk about these things. Mine started having flashing pink squares just a couple of days later that lasted through 2 cold reboots. Guess the update became non-optional. An RX580 should be arriving shortly.

@Going Bald would you share your build (EFI files)? I have GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard, just purchased XFX Radeon 580, I would like to freshly install Mojave on new SSD. I used UniBeast 9.0 to create USB (Legacy) but it won't boot/start installer...

@Going Bald yes sharing your EFI folder and in general your EFI partition would be great.

I have the x58 UD7 rev 1.0 with F7 bios as well, but I'm having issues with Mojave.

I'm installing it on a NVME Samsung 950 pro (with a PCIe -> M2 adaptor) and whilst the installation completes successfully, the drive is detected in the bios under boot devices, I can't boot from it. Only with the USB stick.
Copying the EFI folder from the USB to the EFI partition on the SSD does nothing.

Also I have half the performance in Geek bench and Cine bench than my Mavericks installation in the same machine

@Going Bald yes sharing your EFI folder and in general your EFI partition would be great.

I have the x58 UD7 rev 1.0 with F7 bios as well, but I'm having issues with Mojave.

I'm installing it on a NVME Samsung 950 pro (with a PCIe -> M2 adaptor) and whilst the installation completes successfully, the drive is detected in the bios under boot devices, I can't boot from it. Only with the USB stick.
Copying the EFI folder from the USB to the EFI partition on the SSD does nothing.

Also I have half the performance in Geek bench and Cine bench than my Mavericks installation in the same machine
Although my mobo is different, I had similar issues...it seems when I used this https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/clover-legacy-boot-mode-v2-4k-r4586.398/ legacy boot loader, things got better.

@Going Bald would you share your build (EFI files)? I have GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard, just purchased XFX Radeon 580, I would like to freshly install Mojave on new SSD. I used UniBeast 9.0 to create USB (Legacy) but it won't boot/start installer...
I had the same problem with Unibeast 9.0. So I booted from my High Sierra usb then selected the Mojave usb installer when it got to the Clover boot menu. See if that works...

Although my mobo is different, I had similar issues...it seems when I used this https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/clover-legacy-boot-mode-v2-4k-r4586.398/ legacy boot loader, things got better.

Thanks maoule.
I've tried it and it's not working for me.

I've sorted out the performance issues and good news is that the Mojave installation is faster in benchmarks than the Mavericks one

So my main issues now are:
1. I can't boot from the nvme drive although it's detected in the bios as it's a Samsung 950 pro which is compatible and bootable with old bios x58 systems.
I've tried 3 different versions of Clover with various options which boot fine from a usb stick.

2. Clover does not like it when my other normal platter sata drives are plugged in and reboots on scan entries.
If I unplug the drives, Clover gets fine to main screen, where I can select my Mojave drive to boot, I then hot-plug the sata drives, and then select the Mojave drive to boot, it boots normally and detects all my drives and everything is good.
I've tried disabling scan entries and set a custom boot entry, tried sata boot instead of ioblock, tried the old apfs.efi instead of apfsdriverLoader-64.efi but it still reboots at scan entries.

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back