Contribute
Register

X58A-UD3R: Stuck at Apple boot screen (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quirriff said:
I had the exact same problem, and I have a similar motherboard.

On your motherboard there are 2 types of SATA you have to change them both in the bios settings, it's a trap you can easily fall into. One's called GSATA BTW.
Change what?

"I am using a hard drive that i got from an external. It's 1.5TB 7200 Seagate brand. I partitioned it 900GB Mac OSX (journaled) and the rest ExFat at first. I thought this was the cause of my problems and took out the drive, formatted the whole thing as Mac OS (journaled) and partitioned it as 2 drives, 1 - 980GB, the 2nd 520GB. I ran out of ideas and if anyone would please help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it."

This caught my eye... Is Snow leopard already installed on the hdd? It sounds like you already got the SL disc to work if you were able to format/partition.

Reset your bios to the optimised defaults.

Change Boot Priority of your Drives for CD Rom first which you've done
Change HPET to 64 bit, which I'm guessing you've done
Change SATA to AHCI Mode AND
Change GSATA to AHCI Mode.

I just checked mine to be sure; the eSATA and gSATA controllers are set at IDE with no affect on my system. I would like to know, however, will those need to be changed? I assume yes, if I plan to use those ports. The gSATA being the 6gbs ports... are those now functional with USB 3.0 being checked in MultiBeast? And does IDE have to be changed in order to use the external eSATA ports for SATA peripherals?

maoule said:
I just checked mine to be sure; the eSATA and gSATA controllers are set at IDE with no affect on my system. I would like to know, however, will those need to be changed? I assume yes, if I plan to use those ports. The gSATA being the 6gbs ports... are those now functional with USB 3.0 being checked in MultiBeast? And does IDE have to be changed in order to use the external eSATA ports for SATA peripherals?
For purposes of installation disable the gSATA and the Marvel 6.0 Gb ports. For later, you don't need to enable them unless you connect a HD to them.
As for the eSATA, those are the combo ports on the back plane - can also plug USB into them - too lazy to get up and check, but IIRC, they are yellow. You can disable the eSATA for installation and leave it that way until you want to connect an external eSATA drive.

I read that the snow leopard you are using you had from when it first came out. Do you know which version it is? I can't remember where I read it but if its before a certain version iBoot may not work with it. If I find the link I will post it.

I am having the exact same problem

Same motherboard
graphics nvidia gtx 460
4 gigs in 1 stick of ram
HDD is on sata0 and cd is on sata1

keyboard and mouse are both plugged into the computers usb. I dont understand why I keep freezing at the apple boot screen.

tdragisics said:
I read that the snow leopard you are using you had from when it first came out. Do you know which version it is? I can't remember where I read it but if its before a certain version iBoot may not work with it. If I find the link I will post it.

I'm almost certain its 10.6.0. I got it within a month of it being released in store. I cant find the exact version of the box. But I appreciate the reply. Thanks.

Bulleh said:
tdragisics said:

I'm almost certain its 10.6.0. I got it within a month of it being released in store. I cant find the exact version of the box. But I appreciate the reply. Thanks.

I used version 10.6.3 and I think you should try using a newer version. Since you partitioned your HDD to under 1TB, I think this could be the only problem. All of the Snow Leopard discs for sale now are 10.6.3, but I am not sure if you can return it if that doesn't work.

Bulleh said:
Just bought a 10.6.3 disc. Also have a wired keyboard and mouse hooked up, along with every other bit of tips that you great people have given me. Unfortunately it's not working for me. I'm probably going to just install windows 7 and make sure everything is working then come back to trying to install OSX on my computer.

After some minor trouble I have gotten Windows 7 to work. I am using a separate 500GB hard drive but the same bios settings as for OSX. If anyone knows, can I install OSX on a separate HDD? I know there is a how-to guide for dual booting, but after 15 minutes of searching I gave up looking for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back