Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why is not present the System folder in the HD ??
And why cannot install clover on the efi partition ?

Select the Macintosh HD icon and install Clover. You must also have already deselected the UEFI and install in EFI check boxes when selecting the items to install since you are installing on a Legacy BIOS system.

Easier to install with MultiBeast - just select Quick Install->Legacy Mode, then your audio and networking kexts, click build and click install.

After several reinstalling, i discover that Clover in my legacy system don't see the efi partition on the disk and when you install in the system partition the installer indeed write the files inside the EFI partition so it seems to be a bug of clover with the legacy systems

Ok finally took the plunge and upgraded to 10.11 / Clover by following this guide from step 3 onward.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...os-x-el-capitan-x58a-ud3r-24.html#post1169901

Omitted inject nVidia and took a bit of work to get the GTX960 running but now all is good except USB3 and sleep.
USB I can live without but would love to have sleep working. (Sleep=Never hurts when the power bill comes in)

For those who have sleep working, how did you do it?

1.Clover setting other than outlined in btwnwlds's guide?
2.Custom DSDT edit? If so can you please share? I don't get sleep with just Clover tweaks, or the DSDT on this site.
3.Kext hack? This perhaps (copied from RandomNumber's post here http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-x-el-capitan-x58a-ud3r-13.html#post1121492)? ((I'm holding off trying to be sure there's no DSDT way))

•Fix RTC CMOS reset issue (does not wake from sleep) - used this code to patch:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

btwnwlds's guide a is great but missing a few things to make it complete.

-Working sleep. see above.
-More elegant audio solution than voodoo. I see Toledo's Clover script recommended though I don't use onboard audio.
-Suggest correct SMBIOS. ( Unless I'm mistaken, Mac 4,1 should be closest for this mobo)
-Tip for Maxwell nVidia cards.

If we can fill those gaps, it would be great to paste it in the 1st post. Would have saved me hours.

Thanks to your post I got my audio working on my GA-X58A-UD7 Rev 1.0. I already tried everything else here. I think I might have seen your message a long while ago but when I ran the script I must have selected yes to the inject question, and now, rereading, I see you selected no.

Now to see if I can get the darn USB 3.0 working but it sounds like I'll have to wait for that Inateck board to arrive.

Kelly

GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 1.0 Bios F9D
3 sticks of OCZ3G1600LV6GK (Had 6 but it seems more stable with just 3), guess I bought the wrong type (have the settings from tweattown already)

Ok here's an alternative step-by-step guide for El Capitan on x58a-UD3r with Clover, including working speed-stepping, sleep and better geek bench scores .

See this guide for more detailed instructions for step 3 and 4 http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html.

1. Update BIOS to FH. This is necessary to us the attached DSDT.aml and have working sleep and stepping. If you're updating from version FF or lower, you'll need to use @BIOS app to do the update as the BIOS size goes from 1M to 2M so Q-Flash won't do it. You'll need some kind of Windows install to do this.

2. Standard BIOS stuff.
Optimised defaults, 64-HPET, AHCI for all SATA controllers are the main ones.
Use the XMP profile for your memory if it supports it, clover can detect correct speeds from here later.
Make the drive you are about to install El Capitan to top of the Hard Disk Boot priority list.
**note: if you have an SSD or other drive that supports SATA III, remember to put it on gSATA6/7 as they are the 6Gbps ones. Also, if you're not using eSATA, and nothing connected to gSATA8/9 ports, disable them both for faster booting.

3. Prepare Unibeast stick via a previous install, or another Mac. Repartition the USB stick first as MBR scheme with Disk Utility and give it a name like 'El Capitan Installer'. You'll need latest Unibeast (clover version) and El Capitan from the App Store. Run Unibeast and choose Legacy Mode as these boards don't have UEFI. If you have an older GFX card, you may need to select the appropriate 'Inject'. (See Step 2 in the guide linked at the top of this post for more details.)

4. This step may be optional, but it doesn't hurt. Copy the attached DSDT.aml to EFI > EFI > Clover > ACPI > Patched on the USB stick that was just created by Unibeast. You'll need to mount the EFI partition first using either Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter (in the downloads section)

5. Reboot and punch F12 on BIOS screen and chose to boot to the USB stick. Select your 'El Capitan Installer' USB at the clover menu. Prepare your target drive with Disk Utility. Easiest way is to 'erase' the physical disk. The default settings should be correct, but you want GUID partition and Mac OS Journaled. Name it 'El Capitan HD' . Install El Capitan. ( See Step 4 in the guide linked at the top of this post for more details.)

6. After installing and reboot, punch F12 again and boot from USB. This time select 'El Capitan HD' and follow steps to set-up El Capitan. (If you get black screen here with new nVidia card, you may need to boot with nv_disable=1 for now) Download El Capitan Post-Install Tools (Tonymac) and install Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg and CustoMac Essentials.

7. Remove the Unibeast USB so as not to confuse EFI partitions. Download and open Clover Configurator. Mount the EFI partition from the HD and copy the attached DSDT.aml to EFI > EFI > Clover > ACPI > Patched. As our DSDT patches are already done in the DSDT file, we don't want clover to do anything on the fly. So on the ACPI page, make sure 'DSDT name' is DSDT.aml and uncheck everything except 'Generate PStates' and 'Generate CStates' in the SSDT section. In the Boot section, fill in the name of your default boot volume (will be 'El Capitan HD' if you followed me) and select 'XMPDetection=Yes" if you used your XMP profile in BIOS before.

8. In the SMBIOS section, click the wand, the Mac Pro garbage bin, select MacPro4,1 and make sure to shake the week of manufacture and unit number a few times to get a unique serial number. These boards have the SId bug so open a terminal window and type 'uuidgen' and hit return. Past the number it generates in SmUUID. This helps with iMessage.

9. Graphics options will depend on your card. You may want to inject Intel/ATI/nVidia for older cards, or for Maxwell nVidia cards, you'll need to use nv_disable=1 to boot until you can install the nVidia web drivers, then switch to nvda_drv=1. You can do this by ticking the boxes on the Boot page, or adding the boot arguments temporarily from clover at boot time.

10. Save and reboot. With any luck you should have El Capitan with working Sleep / stepping / iMessage and full performance.

--- Optional ----

HWSensors: To check that the DSDT and clover settings are working properly, you'll want to download HWSensors
(www.hwsensors.com) and copy all files to EFI > EFI > CLOVER > kexts > 10.11 except HWMonitor.app which can go in your Applications or Utilities folder. This won't work at this stage because there is another incompatible version of FakeSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions put there by Customac Essentials. Navigate to /Library/Extensions and delete FakeSMC.kext and use Kext Utility to Repair Permissions and Rebuild Cache. Upon reboot you should be able to run HWMonitor and see the CPU multipliers changing i.e. Speedstep.

Audio: I don't use onboard audio so haven't tested but apparently the Toleda script works nice. Only use Voodoo as a last resort, it's a big hacky mess.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    21 KB · Views: 274
Hi,

I've been running a 2500k rig since 2011, and I've very recently upgraded to a Supermicro X8DTH-IF with dual X5670 for final cut X.
I've been trying to install El Capitan for over a day and I'm at a loss. Once I select the USB installer drive in Clover (created with unibeast - Legacy settings), the screen just goes blank (with & without verbose mode). I've tried both a 7970 and a GTX 570 with no success.

Bios settings : AHCI, VT-d off.
Clover settings : FixHPET FixDTGP FixDarwin FixIPIC AddMCHC FixUSB

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Marc

I for the life of me cannot get this to work on a computer with ga-x58a-ud3r rev2, with FH BIOS.

I downloaded the DSDT.aml, SSDT.aml, and config.plist from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...management-modifications/page-76#entry2147206 and put them in the correct locations.

I installed OS X El Capitan, and all hardware except for audio seems to be working fine (I did not check USB3, but I assume it is not working at this point)

I attempt to install Clover (Legacy), but it says it is incompatible with El Capitan. I proceed anyway, and it says it failed to install. I tried Clover (Legacy-root) and it did the same. Rebooting without the USB stick just brings me to a black screen with a cursor.

Since that failed, I attempted using MultiBeast to install Clover by itself. It failed. I then just tried installing the drivers for the audio, USB3, etc. (no Clover), and they all fail too.

I checked in System Preferences -> Security to make sure that applications downloaded from anywhere are allowed to be installed.

Why are all of these installs failing? Are they incompatible with 10.11.4, or did I just do something wrong?

I'm doing this for a friend who leaves town tomorrow... I had set this up for him years ago on a much older OS, but his hard drive died. Any help would be appreciated.

I for the life of me cannot get this to work on a computer with ga-x58a-ud3r rev2, with FH BIOS.

I attempt to install Clover (Legacy), but it says it is incompatible with El Capitan. I proceed anyway, and it says it failed to install. I tried Clover (Legacy-root) and it did the same. Rebooting without the USB stick just brings me to a black screen with a cursor.

Since that failed, I attempted using MultiBeast to install Clover by itself. It failed. I then just tried installing the drivers for the audio, USB3, etc. (no Clover), and they all fail too.

Not sure why you are having this problem - what version of Clover are you trying to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back