Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guys!

I'm using by a couple of minute my new installation of "El Capitan". I followed the instructions of btwnwlds in post n. 231, and... it's working! (AppStore and iMessage too)
My system is:
GA-X58-UD3R
Intel i7
12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB
SSD Corsair Force 3 (system)
WD Caviar Black 2TB (data)
Optical drive: LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0

I'm not using the internal sound card, because i've an USB one.

Thank you very much for your help!

I installed El Capitan on my X58A-UD3R system using the instructions in Post 231. It installed fine, and I was able to get everything working. However, when I turn on or restart the computer, it seems to have only a 10% chance of actually booting to the desktop. The other 90% of the time, it goes through the startup process, but the computer restarts before it actually boots to the desktop. The last message shown on the screen in verbose mode before it restarts is "kernel: AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0x2c418086 Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitory trough MCA". I'm not sure if this is relevant though because that is also the last message displayed in verbose mode before it switches to the GUI. When it does actually boot correctly, it appears to run just fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on why it doesn't boot consistently?

Try deleting AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to see if this helps. It is not necessary if you don't have ECC ram and can cause problems with triple channel memory as well. There are disabler kexts out there that can disable this kext also since it sometimes comes back with updates.

Glad to hear you got the sound working. I have not even tried messaging, I do not use it.

Try deleting AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to see if this helps. It is not necessary if you don't have ECC ram and can cause problems with triple channel memory as well. There are disabler kexts out there that can disable this kext also since it sometimes comes back with updates.

If I do that, it doesn't boot at all. Instead of either rebooting or bringing up the GUI, it reboots or kernel panics.

Step By Step for X58A-UD3R and El Capitan

Here is a step-by-step guide that details how I upgraded my hackintosh from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to El Capitan. This guide is a hybrid of TonyMac's "Unibeast: Install OS X El Capitan...," posts #168, #183, #194 from the current thread, post #93 from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/145429-clover-old-guard-ga-x58a-ud3r-rev-2-0-a-10.html, and other threads and posts that I probably forgot about. Many thanks to those who posted before me. No thanks to those who left it for me to create this step by step.

1. As others have recommended, it is a good idea to clone your existing hack onto a secondary drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or Clonezilla in case you have any unrecoverable problems. Begin the installation process by disconnecting all peripherals, except for USB keyboard and USB mouse and monitor connected DVI to DVI, all hard disks, expect for Snow Leopard disk that will end up as El Capitan, all PCI and PCIe cards except for graphics, and all CD/DVD drives except for one. I left my RME HDSP 9632 (PCI) audio card connected, as I would like to use it for audio production (See POSTSCRIPT below).

2. Adjust BIOS Settings.

First select “Load Optimized Defaults”
Change Boot Priority: CD/DVD first, Hard Disk second
Change ICH SATA from IDE to ACHI
Change HPET Mode to 64-bit mode

NOTE: The following differences were indicated in the screen shots linked to the TonyMac install guide for El Capitan and X58A-UD3r:

• Enable USB mouse (my USB mouse is working without enabling)
• Disable Full Screen LOGO Show (relates to the Gigabyte splash screen which I want enabled)
• Change eSATA to AHCI (controls the rear panel yellow USB/1394/eSATA ports which work with this set to IDE).
• Change GSATA3 to AHCI (controls the internal white SATA ports [6, 7] connected to the Marvel 9128 chip which I do not need; the ICH10R chip sounds better).
• GSATA2 (internal white SATA ports [8, 9] connected to the Gigabyte chip, which I do not need; the ICH10R chip sound better).

2. Boot up existing hackintosh (mine was Snow Leopard 10.6.8). Next download El Capitan from the App Store; it should automatically be saved to the Applications folder. If it prompts you to proceed with the installation, click Mac OS X Install from the top menu and quit the install. Insert a 8GB or larger USB drive into a USB 2.0 port, open Disk Utility and format the USB drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with 1 partition using Master Boot Record as the Partition Map Scheme (not GUID Partition Table), and name the drive “USB.”

3. Download UniBeast 6.1.1 from TonyMac, and run it. Click Continue, Continue, Continue, Continue, Agree. At Destination Select, choose USB and click Continue. At Select OS Installation choose El Capitan and click Continue. At Bootloader Configuration choose Legacy Boot Mode and Continue. At Optional Graphics Configuration, select Inject NVIDIA (this worked best for my card, different graphics cards require different procedures), and Continue. At Verify Install Options click Continue. After the UniBeast install is complete, which could take 30 minutes or more, copy DSDT from existing hackintosh to EFI > Clover > ACPI > Patched folder on the USB drive.

4. Reboot, tap F12, and boot to the USB drive. At the Clover boot screen choose External “Boot Mac OS X from USB” and Enter. At the OS X installer click Continue, Continue – Agree. At the Install OS X screen, go to the menu bar at the top and click Utilities > Disk Utility. Select the disk you want to install El Capitan onto and select Partition. Make sure that the Scheme is set to GUID Partition Map, name the disk El Capitan, and Format to OS X Extended (Journaled), click Apply. Quit Disk Utility, select El Capitan and click Continue. After the Install is complete it will reboot automatically, as it does tap F12 and boot to the USB drive.

5. At the Clover boot screen choose "HFS" (your El Capitan disk) and hit enter. You will be prompted to setup El Capitan. After setup is complete and you are at the desktop, go to Preferences > Energy Saver > Computer Sleep and set it to Never, and uncheck “Put hard disks to sleep…” to prevent problems waking the machine from sleep. Download El Capitan Post-Install Tools folder form TonyMac, then install Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg, and then, install CustoMac Essentials.

6. Next download and run Clover Configurator. At the bottom of the home window, locate the config.plist file in EFI > EFI > Clover and double-click it—this will mount/load the settings within the plist into the Configurator. In the ACPI window, whatever fixes are contained in the plist will be selected/checked. The following appeared for me: FixHPET, AddDTGP, FixHDA, and FixIPIC. I then added/selected the following fixes: AddMCHC, FixShutdown, FixUSB, and FixDarwin. In addition, you should see your DSDT file in the space next to “DSDT name.” Next click the Graphics tab on the left and within that window configure your graphics. I unchecked “Inject Intel,” because I do not have onboard graphics, and then selected Inject NVIDIA. Next click the SMBIOS tab, press Magic Wand Icon on the right, select the MacBook Pro icon, and then choose MacPro 5,1 from the drop down menu. Finally click File > Save, close Clover Configurator, and reboot.

7. To get onboard audio working, download the VodooHDA.kext from Source Force, install it and reboot. For good measure, download and run Kext Utility "El Capitan" Ready 2.6.4.

POSTSCRIPT: So far, I have been unable to get my RME HDSP 9632 sound card working in El Capitan. It works fine in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 using the hdsp_173_x86.gz driver but not in El Capitan. With the card installed, no device is shown in About this Mac > System Report > Hardware > PCI. The following thread addresses in detail why this card does not work in El Capitan:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/45037-rme-hdsp-macosx-x86-drivers-released/page-7

To summarize, the problem is in part due to OS X, since LION, running exclusively in 64bit mode. The problem is also in part due to Apple no longer including PCI interfaces in their builds, and RME being unwilling to create a driver for a configuration that only exists in hackintosh land. One user (post #139 in the thread linked above) details the challenge of patching an RME driver for use in newer versions of OS X. Check out this thread where some folks really go at it with an RME rep:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=63591#p63591

If anyone has any new information about getting this card working in El Capitan, I would greatly appreciate it.

Following this guide:
I am getting a error
boot1: /boot

Any idea whats going on here? I have never had issues booting the usb in the past?

Attachments

• IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Following this guide:
I am getting a error
boot1: /boot

Any idea whats going on here? I have never had issues booting the usb in the past?

Did you format you USB as MBR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back