Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used this config. everything went well but I still have problems with Ram (see post #103)

I've the same configuration with Asus P6X58D Premium i7 930 and nvidia quadro fx3800, can anyone advise me how to proceed to install El Capitan.

I used this config. everything went well but I still have problems with Ram (see post #103)

Have you tried changing the XMPDetection flag?

Yours is set to -1
TonyMacs is set to No
Mine is Yes (Shows correct Speeds and Memory for me) Bios is set to Profile 1

Have a play with this setting and see if it helps you.

I agee with that, I find it difficult or rather impossible to stitch together the piecemeal information of this thread
finally resulting in a working system.

Here is my take to add to the "confusion" but 1st my question which has sofar remained unanswered although asked
a number of times.

Is anybody willing to devulge which SMC system definition they are using in order to get their Fresco based USB3
add on Pci-e cards woking at full USB3 speed ? Please somebody let us know as it seems important with El Capitan.

Now to my pecurliarity:

I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan without any serious problems.
The upgrade was conducted on Yosemite of which the HDD was originally prepared as a GPT type volume and legacy
Clover boot option, so far so good. I then tried to dual boot 2 Windows installations without success.

Tinkering along, I then manipulated my EFI partition to be recognized as a Basic Microsoft Data "Partition" and voila
Yosemite was sill working in all respects/departments - no change whatsoever - after this EFI manipulation. Surprise, surprise
the 2 Windows installations, each on it's own hdd were also booting now.

Then I upgraded to El Capitan onto Yosemite, losing access to all my USB ports USB2 as well as USB3, my keyboard and mouse
access was lost as well. Then I downloaded 2 dummy kexts, from another board, installed them into S/L/E after changing 2
USB names in one of them under the section which is consistent with my SMC definition which I originally chose for my rig.
This fixed access to all my USB2 ports with my Fresco card based USB3 ports still not functioning. I applied Toledas audio
patch for El Capitan with success. So now I had a fully functioning El Capitan installation except my USB3 ports were gone.

I then experimented further in order to discover what will happen to this installation with a stock standard EFI partition.
So I grabed another hdd, partitioned it GPT to get back to a standard EFI incarnation, installed Clover 3270 to that and copied
back my original EFI folder with 0x28 0x67 in the RTVariables section added off cause.

Things looked pretty good at the Clover boot screen, El Capitan was booting, audio was working with my USB3 ports still
missing, and the 2 Windows installations were indeed also showing up as a boot option on the Clover boot menu, they
however failed to boot.

Then to my surprise I discovered that my Windows installationwould indeed boot if I did the following:

1. Boot the machine until it reaches the Clover boot menu.
2. Restart Clover frm the boot menu
3. Wait until restarting Clover has completed
4. Select what you wish to boot El Capitan or any of the Windows installalions, they
will all work.

Conclusion:

El Capitan will boot properly all the time whereas my Windows installations will only boot
after the Clover boot menu was restarted from itself, at least once.

It appears that some "initialization" fails during the first boot cycle resulting in the first
appearance of the Clover boot menu, boot Clover into itselffrom itself rectifies this problem.

Anybody able to shed some light on this phenomena/behaviour ?

I am at the moment on Safari and drafted all this from memory, will however be able to provide
missing details when back home.

All the experimenting was made possible with a multitude of cloned Yosemite and El Capitan
installations/hdd's

Have you tried changing the XMPDetection flag?

Yours is set to -1
TonyMacs is set to No
Mine is Yes (Shows correct Speeds and Memory for me) Bios is set to Profile 1

Have a play with this setting and see if it helps you.

Thanks, I tried but no luck. I don't understand if it's a clover or an hardware problem.
In yosemite ram is right but I use chameleon, El capitan for me works with clover only.
Thank you

SUCCESS.

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R V2 (FF). I have things working well. Sound, sleep, shutdown. etc. Let me know if anyone has questions.

I am attaching the DSDT.aml and config.plist I'm using.

Hi Bortoni, do you have success on enabling the built in USB 3.0?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Bortoni, do you have success on enabling the built in USB 3.0?

Thanks in advance!

I've never had a lot of success with USB 3.0 in the past so I have it disabled in the BIOS. My next move now that things are working is to my migrate my main drive over from Chimera/Yosemite to Clover / ElCap. After that goes off well I might look into it.

It seems like we are dealing with two separate issues in this X58 centric topic. One is just the switch from Chimera to Clover and the second is upgrading to El Capitan. I think many of the issues here are a product of trying to do both of those things at once. There are a lot of variables and the resolution of issues that arise become more difficult to identify.

I have a GA EX58 UD3R 1.6 (FK) with a XEON 5650 CPU. I have been booting using Clover since I installed Yosemite. I currently have a nearly perfectly functioning system booting with Clover to El Capitan. For me the upgrade was fairly simple, I was starting with a fully function Clover booting Yosemite OS. I think working out booting with Clover (into Yosemite) is a way to minimize the number of possible issues. I followed a Youtube video to create my first successful Clover boot. It was very simple and worked 1st time. All other tutorials I followed had failed to this point. I'll link to the video but want to emphasize that these BIOS boards must use Legacy Clover install which places an EFI folder in root directory. The video starts with UEFI install 'clover selections' and about 2/3 through shows the Legacy 'clover selections'. Follow the Legacy instructions. I should point out that the video is not in english but if I can follow it...anyone can. Here is the video:

Installing Clover Bootloader to HDD on UEFI or Legacy Boot

I had originally installed Yosemite using unibeast and then applied Clover post install. At that point I had to deal with:

•Fix Audio - used the Mulitibeast ALC888 legacy v100202 option in conjunction with optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support selection.

•Fix RTC CMOS reset issue (does not wake from sleep) - used this code to patch:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

•Fix imessage - Followed the Fix imessage thread and ultimately used the RTVariables method successfully.

My SMBIOS is set to MacPro 5,1. It matches my system the best.
========

With that system in place and fully functioning I used Direct Update to OS X El Capitan Using Clover to upgrade to El Capitan. The issues I encountered were:

After initial install I had to use boot arguments -V, -f, -F , -X on first reboot to finish the install. Once the install finished I could boot normally (I made all changes to config.plist etc. as described in the "Direct Update to OSX El Capitan Using Clover" method).

I also had to:
•Fix Audio - used the Mulitibeast ALC888 legacy v100202 option in conjunction with optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support selection. I had to do this while booted to Mavericks on a separate SSD. A new El Capitan version of Multibeast does not yet exist and Multibeast for Yosemite would not function in El Capitan. I booted into Mavericks on a separate SSD I ran Multibeast fixes for audio and just pointed it to the El Capitan drive as the install location. It worked. The "audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0h.command" script did not work for me. It may be because I have my data drives and OS drives on different volumes...not sure but it did not work even though it did complete.

•Fix RTC CMOS reset issue (does not wake from sleep) - used this code to patch:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

•Fix Disk was improperly ejected on wake from sleep issue - I have never had this one before. I'm using a free work around found here on this site: SafeSleeper

So far I have had no other issues with this system.

Then to my surprise I discovered that my Windows installationwould indeed boot if I did the following:

1. Boot the machine until it reaches the Clover boot menu.
2. Restart Clover frm the boot menu
3. Wait until restarting Clover has completed
4. Select what you wish to boot El Capitan or any of the Windows installalions, they
will all work.

Conclusion:

El Capitan will boot properly all the time whereas my Windows installations will only boot
after the Clover boot menu was restarted from itself, at least once.

It appears that some "initialization" fails during the first boot cycle resulting in the first
appearance of the Clover boot menu, boot Clover into itselffrom itself rectifies this problem.

Anybody able to shed some light on this phenomena/behaviour ?

I am at the moment on Safari and drafted all this from memory, will however be able to provide
missing details when back home.

All the experimenting was made possible with a multitude of cloned Yosemite and El Capitan
installations/hdd's

You sir, are awesome... And I was about to reinstall windows 10 to try to fix this... Now if we can just figure out a clover tweak to negate the need for the clover restart.

I notice I seem to be booting from a different config after I shut down clover. The second start of clover makes my windows 10 volume bootable and the Tonymac theme is in my monitor's native resolution. They no longer look squished. That is another thing... I can't figure out. There are at least 3 clover config.plists on my hard drive. Which one(s) matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back