i9-7900X
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello All!
I'm having a bear of a time with opencore trying to actually enable hardware acceleration and DRM support.
I know it is most likely a configuration issue(was working with clover bootloader), and I was wondering if someone who had a similar system wouldn't mind taking a look and seeing if they can help with my issue.

MacOS sees the graphics card, but no hardware acceleration is actually enabled and DRM is broken for iTunes movies, lack of HW acel verified by VDADecoderChecker.

I had stared with an example EFI for my system, and probably made a mess of things, so please forgive my 'noob-ness.'

Also, I am on High Sierra 10.13.6, and need to stay there for software compatibility reasons.

Thank you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    71.8 MB · Views: 286
Moderator- should this be moved to x299 opencore support?

Thank you

@gabevf - No, I tried various guides on here about iTunes DRM and never had any joy. After several days of frustration, and out of sheer curiosity, tried an OC Catalina build with an 5700xt and it worked OOB with TV app. But for my use case, I really needed to sitck with high Sierra, and sadly no movies.

The information below is from the Clover Conversion guide (converting common properties from Clover to OpenCore) https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/blob/master/clover-conversion/Clover-config.md

NvidiaWeb:
  • What this does is apply sudo nvram nvda_drv=1 on every boot. To get a similar effect you can find it under the following path:
  • NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> nvda_drv: <31>
Add the above and your Nvidia cards should work under OpenCore with the NVIDIA Web Drivers.

The information below is from the Clover Conversion guide (converting common properties from Clover to OpenCore) https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/blob/master/clover-conversion/Clover-config.md

NvidiaWeb:
  • What this does is apply sudo nvram nvda_drv=1 on every boot. To get a similar effect you can find it under the following path:
  • NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> nvda_drv: <31>
Add the above and your Nvidia cards should work under OpenCore with the NVIDIA Web Drivers.
Thanks @Edhawk

Do I need "nvda_drv: <31>" if I'm already using the nvda_drv_vrl=1 flag?

I can only boot with the npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 flags, which unfortunately cause the Default Apple Graphics to get picked up. I think it has something to do with 'Above 4g decoding', or 'CFG Lock' Setting on the BIOS, or some hardware PCI pathing issue, because without an npci flag the boot hangs at "PCI Configuration Began."

I'm able to select the Nvidia Web Driver from the MenuBar drop-down, which requires a restart, but nothing changes after reboot.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If it helps, here's where I get stuck if I don't use an npci boot flag

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.12.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.12.33 PM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 129
@gabevf I assume the following:
  1. You are running macOS High Sierra, as you have 3 x GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards installed.
  2. You are using the SMBIOS for an iMac Pro 1,1 as per the OC guide.
  3. You have the correct version of the NVIDIA Web Drivers installed for the version of High Sierra you are using.
Your i9-9940X CPU doesn't contain an IGPU, so the system will be reverting to VESA mode instead of using your discrete GPU(s), i.e. no acceleration for the graphics when you boot. Probably as a result of you using the npci=0x3000 or npci=0x2000 boot argument, as this shouldn't be needed when booting with OpenCore. The fact you can only boot when using this boot argument says that something has been set wrong, either in your Bios or your OC folder/config.

Do not use both the Nvidia Driver boot argument and NVRAM entry. Use one or the other, as they do the same thing.

I would recommend you look through your Bios and check that everything has been set as listed below:

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt (For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

Do you have the correct VoodooTSCSync kext installed for your 14 Core/28 Thread CPU? As that appears to be the main error shown on the screenshot you attached above.

You may need to have a look at this guide/app for customising the kext for your system - https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...r-create-a-custom-version-of-voodoo-tsc-sync/

Thanks so much, @Edhawk

Your assumptions are correct, and I’ve been doing most of what you’re suggesting. I’ve also tried with just one GPU installed.
I’ve had no Graphics issues with Clover, though the npci=0x2000 flag is also necessary there.
I’ve removed the Nvidia NVRAM entry, but I’ve also tried using the ngfxcompact=1 Whatevergreen boot flag.

I’ve been using the TSCAdjustReset kext (with modified info.plist) from Clover, Should I try VoodooTSSync instead?

BIOS:
  • I’ve updated my BIOS to F7c to enable Above 4G decoding.
  • Unavailable to edit: VT-x, Intel SGX, Execute Disable Bit, OS type
  • Also Unavailable: CFG Lock. I’ve tried messing with Kernel & Booter Quirks, MMIO Whitelisting, and using CFGLock.efi to switch the variable to 1 or 0, but nothing...

Post #8 tells you what to do if your can't edit the CFG Lock in your bios. This is probably set in your config.plist, if you followed the Dortania OC guide, as it is one of the options mentioned in the Kernel Quirks section.

Assuming you have a custom SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext for your USB port configuration. Not having a correctly set USB config is one of the main causes for a Kernel Panic at the point shown in the image you posted above.

Care to share a copy of your OC folder, so we can see what you are using to boot your system. You can redact/remove the Serial Number, UUID, MLB and ROM from the config.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back