Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven’t, I would get a compatible WiFi/bt pcie card for handoff and airdrop, etc. Since the Sage does not have any internal usb 2 ports, I have some options listed in post 1.
For SMBIOS info you can either use GenSMBIOS or clover configurator. Do not use Open Core configurator to modify your config.plist since OpenCore is still in beta and things are changing constantly.

The thunderbolt card has to be plugged in to slot 2 on the sage.
If you look at kgps thread, he has instructions to get it working.

If you want to go a step further and flash your card with custom firmware, it’ll behave more like a Mac and support thunderbolt bus and local node. You can look in CaseySJ’s z390 designaire thread for more info.
Note flashing isn’t for everyone so if the regular kgp ssdt approach works for you and don’t need the extra functionality I wouldn’t flash.

I currently have two titan ridge cards in my hack with custom firmware
it’s interesting that you have two titan Ridge cards. Is it possible to use both the Titan Ridge and Alpine Ridge at the same time? Also, if you’re just using the Titan Ridge in slot two, where do you put your GPU? My Vegas 64 is too wide to allow another card in slot 2 when the Vega 64 sits in slot 1. Thanks

it’s interesting that you have two titan Ridge cards. Is it possible to use both the Titan Ridge and Alpine Ridge at the same time? Also, if you’re just using the Titan Ridge in slot two, where do you put your GPU? My Vegas 64 is too wide to allow another card in slot 2 when the Vega 64 sits in slot 1. Thanks
OK, I’m giving this a shot but I’m working kind of blind. I put the titan ridge in slot 2 of my sage 10g And because my GPU would not go in slot 1 as typical I put it in slot 3. I install the drivers and updated the firmware on the titan ridge to version 50 and windows. I also enabled the thunderbolt and bios according to KGPs instructions. Unfortunately I’m not getting any thunderbolt functionality in macOS. Any ideas?

Last edited:
OK, I’m giving this a shot but I’m working kind of blind. I put the titan ridge in slot 2 of my sage 10g And because my GPU would not go in slot 1 as typical I put it in slot 3. I install the drivers and updated the firmware on the titan ridge to version 50 and windows. I also enabled the thunderbolt and bios according to KGPs instructions. Unfortunately I’m not getting any thunderbolt functionality in macOS. Any ideas?

I have the cards installed in slots 2 and 3. But it shouldn’t matter when the cards are flashed anyway since it doesn’t need the thunderbolt header.
1. Does it work in windows?
2. Did you also copy the thunderbolt ssdt from kgp? If so, does it show up under system profile -> PCI and or ioreg?

When a USB-C ExFAT drive is plugged into the port on the Titan Ridge it reads and mounts up in Windows. My HFS+ Thunderbolt drives do not mount up in Windows. I figured it was due to the format.

I have not copied the SSDT from kgp. I honestly get lost in his deep technical explanations and I miss where to copy and where to paste in the SSDT files. Can you help me understand?

Do I copy all of these files into a folder on my EFI?: ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
I ready something else that said I should only be using files in "Distribution" folders. I am confused on which files I need....

Last edited:
Please upload the kext file next time.
1) The mapping doesn't look correct since all the values have 255 as USBConnector.
2) It's 15 ports per chipset so you only have to map the intel (XHCI).
3) Does the issue happen on intel ports too? Asmedia are the USB 3.1 ports
4) @InsomnIaHackintosh do you have the kext file we made so @DrMacabre can take a look?

1) so i set manually the values to 0 and 3 depending of the type of port but...
2) i only have to map the intel ??? but you just said the intel are the USB2 ports and they seems to work fine.
3) Nope, the dock seems to stay connected when using USB2 port

based on what i understand, i redid my kext but then i don't have USB3 anymore. Shouldn't i rename my USB3 ports as per the instructions for non intel chipsets ?

When a USB-C ExFAT drive is plugged into the port on the Titan Ridge it reads and mounts up in Windows. My HFS+ Thunderbolt drives do not mount up in Windows. I figured it was due to the format.

I have not copied the SSDT from kgp. I honestly get lost in his deep technical explanations and I miss where to copy and where to paste in the SSDT files. Can you help me understand?

Do I copy all of these files into a folder on my EFI?: ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
I ready something else that said I should only be using files in "Distribution" folders. I am confused on which files I need....

USB-C will work already but HFS+ is most likely the reason why it's not showing. Use the intel thunderbolt software to see if the drive shows up (I believe it shows the 2 ports and if any devices are connected). Also make sure your BIOS settings are correct.
You only need this file https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs/blob/master/ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G/SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
Make sure you update your config plist with the entry and put it last.

1) so i set manually the values to 0 and 3 depending of the type of port but...
2) i only have to map the intel ??? but you just said the intel are the USB2 ports and they seems to work fine.
3) Nope, the dock seems to stay connected when using USB2 port

based on what i understand, i redid my kext but then i don't have USB3 anymore. Shouldn't i rename my USB3 ports as per the instructions for non intel chipsets ?

Again it's 15 per chipset. only the intel chipset has above 15 ports, the asmedia ones are fine. There are two Asmedia on the Sage (One USB C + one USB A) on the back, and the internal USB C front connector.

USB 3 ports count as 2 (one USB 2 and one USB 3)

So that leaves you with the intel:
4 USB 2 on back
6 USB 3 on back
1 USB 3 Front panel connector

So the total is 20. I believe this is the mapping for the Sage but I'm not sure since I dont have that board anymore.

USB Port Mapping:
BackPanel
4 USB 2.0 Ports (Left to Right)
HS12
HS11
HS10
HS09

2 USB 3.0 Ports
First row (Left to Right)
HS08/SS08
HS07/SS07

2 USB 3.0 Ports
Second row (Left to Right)
HS06/SS06
HS05/SS05

2 USB 3.0 Ports
Third row (Left to Right)
HS06/SS06
HS05/SS05

Front Panel
2 USB 3.0 Ports (Left to Right)
HS01/SS01
HS02/SS02

The attached kext should work with the marked out ones disabled. If you are using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS follow the instructions here to rename the model.

Make sure USBInjectAll.kext is disabled and XhciPortLimit is disabled.

Attachments

• X299USB.kext.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
USB-C will work already but HFS+ is most likely the reason why it's not showing. Use the intel thunderbolt software to see if the drive shows up (I believe it shows the 2 ports and if any devices are connected). Also make sure your BIOS settings are correct.
You only need this file https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs/blob/master/ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G/SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
Make sure you update your config plist with the entry and put it last.
Well, there is not "software" in windows that installed when I installed the Thunderbolt driver. There was when I installed the Alpine Ridge software in previous installations. The windows Thunderbolt driver package installation was really fast, not really looking to me like it did a lot, but it flashed a black window that looked like a command prompt or terminal window with a progress bar for a split second, and then disappeared without any update that the driver had been downloaded. This happened on the DVD driver package and on the downloaded package. Like I said, the ExFat drive worked on a USB-C cable, but now I notice that it is not working on a Thunderbolt 1 drive enclosure. And my HFS+ Thunderbolt 2 did not connect in windows.

Strangely enough a Lacie portable RAID drive showed up in MacOS and mounted, but it did not show up under PCI on the System report. It showed up only under SATA/SATA Tree (Something like that) in the System report. Seems weird to me. Then I tried to HotPlug my Thunderbolt 2 drive and it never mounted. I rebooted and the Lacie Raid never reappeared. Any more thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Well, there is not "software" in windows that installed when I installed the Thunderbolt driver. There was when I installed the Alpine Ridge software in previous installations. The windows Thunderbolt driver package installation was really fast, not really looking to me like it did a lot, but it flashed a black window that looked like a command prompt or terminal window with a progress bar for a split second, and then disappeared without any update that the driver had been downloaded. This happened on the DVD driver package and on the downloaded package. Like I said, the ExFat drive worked on a USB-C cable, but now I notice that it is not working on a Thunderbolt 1 drive enclosure. And my HFS+ Thunderbolt 2 did not connect in windows.

Strangely enough a Lacie portable RAID drive showed up in MacOS and mounted, but it did not show up under PCI on the System report. It showed up only under SATA/SATA Tree (Something like that) in the System report. Seems weird to me. Then I tried to HotPlug my Thunderbolt 2 drive and it never mounted. I rebooted and the Lacie Raid never reappeared. Any more thoughts? Thanks in advance!

You need the thunderbolt driver
and it should install thunderbolt control center or something like that. I don't have Windows on my hack anymore to try.

As for mac, did you copy the SSDT to your EFI and do you see two new entries under PCI? One should be for USB-C and one should be for NHI. Please upload a copy of ioreg.

EDIT: added ioreg explorer to first post. Just open the app and click save as.

Last edited:
You need the thunderbolt driver
and it should install thunderbolt control center or something like that. I don't have Windows on my hack anymore to try.

As for mac, did you copy the SSDT to your EFI and do you see two new entries under PCI? One should be for USB-C and one should be for NHI. Please upload a copy of ioreg.

EDIT: added ioreg explorer to first post. Just open the app and click save as.
That TB Driver package you sent me the link for is the same driver package that I’ve been trying to install and windows on my machine. But I think I figured out part of what’s going on that’s a problem. It’s not completing the installation of the TB driver on my windows side. It didn’t stay on the screen long enough the first few times that I ran it for me to be able to read it but I’ve made a video and a freeze-frame the video to see this error (see the screenshot below). Any ideas how to fix that?

Attachments

• 4DD83D33-9E86-4BFD-915B-38CAAED55E84.png
    4DD83D33-9E86-4BFD-915B-38CAAED55E84.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back