Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a stable Asus prime x299 deluxe ii setup running with OC, and everything went so well that I got cocky and decided to try the same system with my gigabyte x299 designare ex. Same hardware, but I rebuilt the EFI as suggested by the Dortania OC manual. I can get as far as the picker, but then regardless of whether I try to boot from the installer or my previously installed HD from my asus build, the screen goes black and that's it. I can't get any errors to post or anything to troubelshoot from. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Gigabyte.EFI.01.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
I finally delidded my CPU today...Also replaced the stock IHS with a copper one from Rockit Cool.
Dropped 18ºC from 104 to 86ºc during stress benchmark. Cpu Idle is 27º
I was really hoping to get 5Ghz on all cores :p ( Previously 4.8Ghz without delidding )..
I could not pass 4.9 Ghz. That last 100MHz was too much for my Baby, damn...

For those interested. Done with a simple AIO Cooler Thermalake RGB floe ring 360. Push pull configuration.
New score on Cinebench today 4.9Ghz on all cores : 10353 pts. I have to live with that :lolno:
Time for me to get back to work. Peace out!!

thumbnail_2020-05-28.jpgthumbnail_2020-05-28 3.jpgthumbnail_2020-05-28 8.jpgScreen Shot 2020-05-28 at 10.47.33 PM.png

Last edited:
I got a stable Asus prime x299 deluxe ii setup running with OC, and everything went so well that I got cocky and decided to try the same system with my gigabyte x299 designare ex. Same hardware, but I rebuilt the EFI as suggested by the Dortania OC manual. I can get as far as the picker, but then regardless of whether I try to boot from the installer or my previously installed HD from my asus build, the screen goes black and that's it. I can't get any errors to post or anything to troubelshoot from. Any ideas?
You are missing a boot argument for your Designare EX in your config.plist/NVRAM:
npci=0x2000 is required on all GA mobos.
Also, you really do not need "-v" in your arguments. If your quirk "PollAppleHotKeys" is set to "YES"; pressing the combo key CMD +V while in the picker ( before your boot selection ) will switch your boot selection to verbose mode.
Lastly, I posted my EFI a few pages back in this thread. Have a look at it :)

Try to add npci=0x2000 in boot arg.

I finally delidded my CPU today...Also replaced the stock IHS with a copper one from Rockit Cool.
Dropped 18ºC from 104 to 86ºc during stress benchmark. Cpu Idle is 27º
I was really hoping to get 5Ghz on all cores :p ( Previously 4.8Ghz without delidding )..
I could not pass 4.9 Ghz. That last 100MHz was too much for my Baby, damn...
Ellybz, what tool are you using to monitor temps in MacOS? I'm interested in tweaking CPU settings in BIOS and want to keep an eye on my temps. An app recommendation from someone who's gone through the whole delidding process ought to be good.:cool:

Ellybz, what tool are you using to monitor temps in MacOS? I'm interested in tweaking CPU settings in BIOS and want to keep an eye on my temps. An app recommendation from someone who's gone through the whole delidding process ought to be good.:cool:
In MacOs I use iStat Menus & Intel Power Gadget.

Here's my EFI for OpenCore N-D-K If anyone is interested. Ok for Mojave & Catalina.

No more APFS driver needed!!!

Version 0.5.9.
SMBIOS : iMacPro1,1

For Asus Mobos:
1- remove the boot-args npci=0x2000 from NVRAM in config.plist
2- Add SSDT-EC.aml for booting Catalina.
3- Add S/N & UUID
4- Adapt device properties, SSDTs, Custom USB kext, TSCAdjustReset to your likings

I left exemples in Custom Entries to boot Windows, Linux, etc..
Path access for each OS is discoverable via OpenShell ( map ) or clover with some slash modifications ( reversed in Clover ).

The only difference in the config.plist between the standard & ndk version is the Quirk: " EnableForAll " in ACPI patches. It allows us to enable/disable the quirks & ACPI Patches while booting other OSes ( Windows, Linux, etc..)
OpenCore.efi & BOOTx64.efi need to be replaced if standard version of OC059 is used.

Stay safe.

EDIT:
Apple Hot Keys are enabled.
Exemple: if you wish to boot your selection in verbose: While in the GUI/Bootpicker, Press COMMAND+V ( or WIN+V on PC keyboard ) : Verbose mode is on & OSX selection with be booted accordingly.

"To win without risk is a triumph without glory" - Pierre Corneille

Good Evening,
I am so thankful for the EFI you uploaded but am having some trouble. I recently made the switch to OpenCore bc of u and upgraded to Catalina. Unfortunately, I'm running into some problems with your EFI with virtually the same hardware except a different graphics card (AMD Radeon VII). When booting, it makes it through but ends with a black screen that sometimes populates with the login window. However; the login window is jumpy with intermittent connection issues from the mouse and keyboard. Is there anything that you would think is apparently wrong with this? The only thing I changed in the EFI folders were the CONFIG where the system serial, UUID numbers. I have tried adding and subtracting KEXTS. No luck. Here is the video of my struggle. I describe the issue at 3:20 in the video.
Respectfully,
Alex

Last edited:
In MacOs I use iStat Menus & Intel Power Gadget.

Are you using MacPro7,1 SMBIOS? IStats menu wasn’t showing temps for me but works on iMacPro1,1

Are you using MacPro7,1 SMBIOS? IStats menu wasn’t showing temps for me but works on
AFAIK MacPro7,1 does not work well on Mojave and I still use it a lot for my work.
iMacPro1,1 is therefore the easiest path for me. Curious, Why do you think MacPro7,1 SMBIOS is better on X299?

Good Evening,
I am so thankful for the EFI you uploaded but am having some trouble. I recently made the switch to OpenCore bc of u and upgraded to Catalina. Unfortunately, I'm running into some problems with your EFI with virtually the same hardware except a different graphics card (AMD Radeon VII). When booting, it makes it through but ends with a black screen that sometimes populates with the login window. However; the login window is jumpy with intermittent connection issues from the mouse and keyboard. Is there anything that you would think is apparently wrong with this? The only thing I changed in the EFI folders were the CONFIG where the system serial, UUID numbers. I have tried adding and subtracting KEXTS. No luck. Here is the video of my struggle. I describe the issue at 3:20 in the video.
Respectfully,
Alex

I just looked quickly at your video.
There's no SMCLightsensor in the EFI I posted. You should not see errors like this. also, The EllyBz-X299 R.kext should not create USB 2.0 errors.

Did you clean your NVRAM before booting OpenCore?

in your config.plist/ACPI:
Did you disable item No 1,2,3 ?
"SSDT-X299-RX580.aml"
"SSDT-TB3.aml" - Unless you're using a TB Card
"SSDT-X299-RMEA.aml"

Did you readjust the TSCAdjustReset.kext to your CPU "31"

@Keyboard/mouse settings: Try first to change USB ports; Mine are connected via internal USB 2.0 & BT.
You might need an extra driver for your particular Kbrd but there's also some settings in the config : UEFI/Input (Key Support, etc..Check the manual )

Inside Kernel/ Emulate; you can remove the data of Cpuid1Data & Cpuid1Mask. It is optional.

Last but not least - Check Your bios settings. Don't push to hard your CPU or memory during the first OC test runs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back