Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
USB 3.1 is likely on an ASMedia chip so that makes sense. I’m still willing to bet your usb isn’t properly setup to exclude usb2.0 addresses that you’re not using and they’re populating your 15 port limit.

have you tried enabling the OC Quirk ‘XhciPortLimit’ (set it to true/yes)?

My motherrboard only has 9 USB ports on the whole system. So the port limit doesn't exceed. (I also did try hackintool and USB map with injections and ppl enabled with no help.) In addition to the kexts and amls of other people with same board - all of my hardware was correctly written on files (as I did my own as well).

But I did get thing to work today (finally!) by updating to latest firmware 2002 again and setting off legacy USB on BIOS + on every boot the first thing to connect to my XHCI controller being a mass storage device (don't know why :D). After that, everything works great.

Luckily somebody has similar problems at discord with their X299.

My mb only has 9 usb ports on the whole system. So the port limit doesn't exceed (I also did try hackintool and usb map with injections and ppl enabled with no help). In addition to the kexts and amls of other people with same board - all of my hardware was correctly written on files (as I did my own as well).

But I did get thing to work today (finally!) by updating to latest firmware 2002 again and setting off legacy usb on bios + on every boot the first thing to connect to my xhci controller being a mass storage device (don't know why :D). After that, everything works great.

Luckily somebody has similar problems at discord with their x299.
keep in mind that USB3.0 will use 2 ports and not 1

keep in mind that USB3.0 will use 2 ports and not 1

I might have missed something. But none of the ports (other than 2 headers and 1 USB 3.1 - ANS1/PSXS controllers) were visible in IOReg. Even with XCHI port limit YES and USBInjectAll 0.7.3 installed correctly (USBmap had inject as green) or disabling half of the ports in BIOS showed any change - XCHI controller didn't load anything.

I suspect that XCHI handoff didn't work from bios to OC handshake - handoff is something that ASUS boards should have default and therefore no option in BIOS.

Like I said, I got this working with newest BIOS (after first downgrading to oldest and after that to the newest) and disabling legacy USB after that (remember to clear CMOS after every update!). This if you can't get anything under XCHI@14 like me or salvator.polito had with Clover.

And to be clear - just updating to newest BIOS didn't work for me.

Oh, and sorry for the strange sentences - language barrier :D Mainly hope this helps somebody with similar problems. And thanks everyone for the help. Bluetooth should start working with finding a USB header converter and next will see if I can get the 10g Ethernet to work.

Thanks!
hneryi

Last edited:
I might have missed something. But none of the ports (other than 2 headers and 1 USB 3.1 - ANS1/PSXS controllers) were visible in IOReg. Even with XCHI port limit YES and USBInjectAll 0.7.3 installed correctly (USBmap had inject as green) or disabling half of the ports in BIOS showed any change - XCHI controller didn't load anything.

I suspect that XCHI handoff didn't work from bios to OC handshake - handoff is something that ASUS boards should have default and therefore no option in BIOS.

Like I said, I got this working with newest BIOS (after first downgrading to oldest and after that to the newest) and disabling legacy USB after that (remember to clear CMOS after every update!). This if you can't get anything under XCHI@14 like me or salvator.polito had with Clover.

And to be clear - just updating to newest BIOS didn't work for me.

Oh, and sorry for the strange sentences - language barrier :D Mainly hope this helps somebody with similar problems. And thanks everyone for the help. Bluetooth should start working with finding a USB header converter and next will see if I can get the 10g Ethernet to work.

Thanks!
hneryi
Not to add noise to the signal, (and you seem to have solved your problem) but searching XCHI in IOReg wont return anything, you need to search XHC, select the XHC controller, then clear the search field to see what is actually under the controller. (For the sake of thread info.)

I might have missed something. But none of the ports (other than 2 headers and 1 usb 3.1 - ANS1/PSXS controllers) were visible in IOReg. Even with XCHI port limit YES and USBInjectAll 0.7.3 installed correctly (USBmap had inject as green) or disabling half of the ports in bios showed any change - xchi controller didn't load anything.

I suspect that xchi handoff didn't work from bios to OC handshake - handoff is something that asus boards should have default and therefore no option in bios.

Like I said, I got this working with newest bios (after first downgrading to oldest and after that to the newest) and disabling legacy usb after that (remember to clear cmos after every update!). This if you can't get anything under XCHI@14 like me or salvator.polito had with Clover.

And to be clear - just updating to newest bios didn't work for me.

Oh and sorry for the strange sentences - language barrier :D Mainly hope this helps somebody with similar problems. And thanks everyone for the help. Bluetooth should start working with finding a usb header converter and next will see If I can get the 10g ethernets to work.

Thanks!
hneryi
you are best posting here:

Not to add noise to the signal, (and you seem to have solved your problem) but searching XCHI in IOReg wont return anything, you need to search XHC, select the XHC controller, then clear the search field to see what is actually under the controller. (For the sake of thread info.)

This problem is not in general XHC - only XCHI tables won't be found on in this problem. Or the tables will be found, but without any content - just empty tables. ANS1 and PSXS will be found on XHC. Generally good to find all of the controllers if you are mapping usb, yes.
you are best posting here:

This is not USB port configuration problem. It seem to be a X299 ASUS architecture with aml and OpenCore/Clover handshake problem (what I gathered anyways). All findings on this I found were specifically on X299 ASUS platforms. Seems to be pretty rare and maybe to do something with flashing gone wrong at some point. (My first bios update was with EZ flash - not ASUS flashback.)

After successful handoff all of the tables will be found and can be mapped per instructions. IMO this is something that should essentially be found in this thread.

This problem is not in general xhc - only XCHI tables won't be found on in this problem. Or the tables will be found, but without any content - just empty tables. ANS1 and PSXS will be found on xhc. Generally good to find all of the controllers if you are mapping usb, yes.

This is not usb port configuration problem. It seem to be a x299 asus architecture with aml and open core/clover handshake problem (what I gathered anyways). All findings on this I found were specifically on x299 asus platforms. Seems to be pretty rare and maybe to do something with flashing gone wrong at some point (my first bios update was with ez flash - not asus flashback).

After successful handoff all of the tables will be found and can be mapped per instructions. IMO this is something that should essentially be found in this thread.
ok

Interesting topic to read.

I would say though that the X299 is an Intel chip with an XHCI controller for it's USB ports. Yes, ASUS can limit how many they use on a given motherboard, but why would they divert all ports off XHC ? I don't see any logic, or need, for that.

If that is a BIOS bug then it's a pretty dramatic one that should crash the system.

Interesting topic to read.

I would say though that the X299 is an Intel chip with an XHCI controller for it's USB ports. Yes, ASUS can limit how many they use on a given motherboard, but why would they divert all ports off XHC ? I don't see any logic, or need, for that.

If that is a BIOS bug then it's a pretty dramatic one that should crash the system.

I was troubleshooting other things and going through kgp's excellent thread and stumbled on this more (link). It doesn't crash the system - It just means that no XHCI controllers are to be found.

I was troubleshooting other things and going through kgps excellent thread and stumbled on this more (link). It doesn't crash the system - It just means that no XHCI controllers are to be found.

It goes without question that I fully respect the immense knowledge of @kgp, and I don't have that motherboard to check.

However - you can see from the screen-grab that the controller label XHCI has not been renamed as it needs to be. And it also shows clearly XHC ports do exist, they have just been moved/redirected within the IORegistryExplorer tree, possibly making them inaccessible.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back