Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay
Tell us if you will have a noticeable GPU performance Boost ;)
Do you Know a trustful App to know the PCI slot bandwidth with macOS ?

Don't see any performance difference. I game in Windows sometimes and use the GPU under macOS for rendering stuff.

Here's a good article about this:

In macOS it shows 16x with System Information
In Windows it shows 8x with GPU-Z

I'll definitely switch to the 1st slot (or 5th??), but have to move around some stuff to make it fit well.

Well, my Radeon VII is in the fifth slot, and it's reading x16 in both Windows and Mac.....so there's that....

And for everyone else, the command to see if your card is performing at x16 (via the cli) in a Mac is:

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

Here's my results from issuing that command in terminal:

AMD Radeon VII:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon VII
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot- 4
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x66af
Revision ID: 0x00c1
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Displays:
LG Ultra HD:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Last edited:
Well, my Radeon VII is in the fifth slot, and it's reading x16 in both Windows and Mac.....so there's that....

And for everyone else, the command to see if your card is performing at x16 (via the cli) in a Mac is:

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

Here's my results from issuing that command in terminal:

AMD Radeon VII:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon VII
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot- 4
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x66af
Revision ID: 0x00c1
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Displays:
LG Ultra HD:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: DisplayPort
If i understand in the izo1 case
the cli command and the System info would show respectively x8 and x16

Here's a good article about this:

In macOS it shows 16x with System Information
In Windows it shows 8x with GPU-Z

I'll definitely switch to the 1st slot (or 5th??), but have to move around some stuff to make it fit well.
Thank for the article.
I don't know much about GPU and PCI, but I was thinking that more recent and powerful is the GPU, more it take advantage of the x16 bandwidth over 8x. ....
I read that today there no benefit of PCIe x16 gen. 4 over PCIe x16 gen. 3 for any GPU....
tell/correct me if Im wrong

If i understand in the izo1 case
the cli command and the System info would show respectively x8 and x16

I don't think so, if I understand your question correctly. That (the system_profiler command) is a Mac command only. The tool I use in Windows is GPU-Z. But, as the article states, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference anyway.

Thank for the article.
I don't know much about GPU and PCI, but I was thinking that more recent and powerful is the GPU, more it take advantage of the x16 bandwidth over 8x. ....
I read that today there no benefit of PCIe x16 gen. 4 over PCIe x16 gen. 3 for any GPU....
tell/correct me if Im wrong

Definitely put it in the 16x supported slot even if articles state that there's small performance gain.

My configuration at the time was weird and the gpu watercooling tube lengths didn't allow me to put it in the 1st slot.

But I'm going to move it to a 16x slot (1st one from top) next week when I have time.

The guide I've studied for Vega 64 is this one here. You should be able to start with one of KGP's SSDT for the Vega 64 and go from there.
Bro i need your expertise on this please, before a week or so my pc stopped booting into anything else except windows. Tried resetting the bios, downgraded the bios version, cmos clear, ... you name it. It won't boot into clover at all.

Same hardware, same settings i used to operate on.

Here is what exactly happened:

Have 3 SSD drives that contains Mac OS
Main drive is the daily operating system (Mojave 10.14.6)
2nd Clone
3rd is the testing drive which i recently installed on it Catalina.

After the install everything worked fine on the same EFI folder and started to insatall my main apps to test the compatibility of those i use daily. Had to restart and upon that it refused to boot into clover since that day.

My Mobo : Asus X299 Prime deluxe Bios V.1705 currently (tried 1503, 1903)

I also disconnected the rest of the SSD's and kept only the hackintosh drive and still nothing.

Upon booting it shows a flashing fast message which i tried to capture but couldn't and then ignore the drive and tries to find windows instead.

Any suggestions or tips.

As this thread is about X299 OpenCore, I am going to try posting here.....

I am on 0.5.3 and am having trouble with the Booter Menu utility. If I make a change, such as add an .efi file, the menu won't show up. Other changes, that should work, like a known good scan policy, also will cause it not to show up. Another example: I loaded a file, UsbKbDxe.efi, and at first, again, the menu wouldn't show up. Next day, it loaded....no changes. Same issue with CPUFriend.kext.....load it, no other changes, and the menu disappears....

I know there are reset settings in the config file that you can enable, but none of them seem to relate to the Booter menu, per se, so is anyone else experiencing this and have worked through some kind of solution?

Last edited:
As this thread is about X299 OpenCore, I am going to try posting here.....

I am on 0.5.3 and am having trouble with the Booter Menu utility. If I make a change, such as add an .efi file, the menu won't show up. Other changes, that should work, like a known good scan policy, also will cause it not to show up. Another example: I loaded a file, UsbKbDxe.efi, and at first, again, the menu wouldn't show up. Next day, it loaded....no changes. Same issue with CPUFriend.kext.....load it, no other changes, and the menu disappears....

I know there are reset settings in the config file that you can enable, but none of them seem to relate to the Booter menu, per se, so is anyone else experiencing this and have worked through some kind of solution?
It's always a good idea to clean/reset your NVRAM after changing your EFI. Hard boot reset ( powering off AC ) does also the trick.

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to clean/reset your NVRAM after changing your EFI. Hard boot reset does also the trick.

Hmm......well, I usually use the reset button on my case, which is a hard reset, but not always. I'll give that a shot. Thanks. I guess I could just turn it off, too. That sounds a little over the top, but maybe.....I'll do it after trying the case driven reset (button) and see if that works, then move on to turning the computer off entirely.....to see if either addresses the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back