Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, you want to run your computer without this SSDT and use Hackintool. During this same boot, use Hackintool and look at the PCI tab and generate data for PCI. From this information, you'll be able open the ARPT-Slot5 SSDT file and edit the fields concerning device-id, vendor-id, etc. that differ from the values between Hackintool and what are in the SSDT file. The slot number is easily substituted by replacing the "5" value with the slot number that you're presently using. (The slot number is cosmetic only.)

An alternative way that may a little easier and work just as well for you is: create a new copy of the SSDT file and then edit it by deleting those same values from the SSDT file, and then try booting with that version. Often the computer will accurately populate those fields in the System Report/Hardware/PCI section without them being present in the SSDT file. (The main job of the SSDT files are to re-label the devices, which you can see when using IORegistryExplorer.)

By tinkering around with these SSDT files like this, you'll better learn their ins and outs and be more comfortable doing your own edits.

I think your post is excellent. I would only add that with many add-in cards, instead of a slot number, you can try the phrase "built-in". Seems to work for all of my add-in cards.

Last edited:
Download from the Validated ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G Release on Github.

OpenCore 0.0.4 EFI for ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G by izo1

Ok everyone, I had a chance to clean up my OC EFI and as promised here it is.

Reminder, this is for the ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G (with the onboard 2x10G Intel X550-AT2 EEPROMs patched for native support, found in the original X299 thread, section E.8.2.3))

It should be fairly straightforward if you want to adapt to another board, but keep in mind you will need to redo the DeviceProperties as well as some of the SSDTs.

Before anyone asks, I decided to keep things as native to macOS as possible, one of which is not to rename PC00.

Now keep in mind there may be some discrepancies and errors I've made (it's been a very long week for me), but in general it should be in good standing. I have been using this EFI, or at least something close to it for months now without issues. System is completely stable.

In addition, if you have the ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G, you should NOT update the BIOS to 1102. Keep it at 0905.

View attachment 422393
View attachment 422394

View attachment 422115

View attachment 422395

View attachment 422396

View attachment 422106

ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G PCIe Configuration:

[PCIEX16_1] BCM94360CS2 WIFI/BT Combo Card
[PCIEX16_2] GC-Titan Ridge
[PCIEX16_3] Empty
[PCIEX16_4] Radeon VII
[PCIEX16_5] Empty
[PCIEX16_6] Empty
[PCIEX16_7] SilverStone ECU04 ASMedia ASM1142 USB 3.1 with Internal header for the front 2x USB3.0 ports

Bluetooth USB (#14 in diagram above):
Onboard USB3.0 (SAGE/10G only has one) is used for the Bluetooth USB 2.0 connector (with this adapter)

View attachment 422392

Before you ask, #10 in diagram (USB3.1Gen2 Type-C on board header) cannot use an adapter to go USB 3.1Gen2 Internal > USB2.0. I have tried 2 different adapters and it does not work.

So I use USB-C header for case's front USB-C port.

The SilverStone PCIe USB internal header is for the front 2 ports. Note that you may not be able to power anything more than an external hard drive even with SATA POWER connected with this SilverStone card. For example it can charge an iPhone, power a hard drive, USB stick, but cannot power an iPad. For that use the front USB-C port or rear USB-C ports, or rear USB ports.

Selecting a default OS to boot from
You can "bless" the macOS drive to make it the default selection (the asterisks/default boot drive in the OC boot menu) by going into System Preferences > Startup Disk and selecting the macOS boot drive.

View attachment 422126

Thanks to Pavo and shael for their partial support and the original X299 threads from kgp.

Good luck and keep using OC and reporting your issues and bugs so we can all put OC through it's paces to make it the most popular bootloader for macOS.

The OpenCore Documentation is very thorough and has a lot of information you should read to understand how it works, and most importanly, keep your EFI folders as light as possible without too many unnecessary .efi drivers and kexts and SSDTs as well as settings you don't need in the config.plist.

Additionally I won't be able to provide too much support (it will be on and off) but feel free to help each other and hopefully this helps get you to a good place especially if you have this specific board.

Best of luck :thumbup:
Is the PCI Slot 4 a 8x only slot ? ... why this one and not the Slot 5 ?
Thanks

Is the PCI Slot 4 a 8x only slot ? ... why this one and not the Slot 5 ?
Thanks
Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 16.54.14.pngCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 16.54.49.png
This is what we can find about that in ASUS Manual ;)

So ... you are agree with me ?! :)
I don't feel great today (with bad weather and heavy had whole day) but if I still see correctly - Yep, I agree :) :p

I don't feel great today (with bad weather and heavy had whole day) but if I still see correctly - Yep, I agree :) :p
@izo1 can you tell me why you put your GPU in the Slot 4 ? Just curious ....

I think it's Slot 7 (4th slot for GPU) not exactly Slot 4 as you said ;)
(but I don't use SAGE so... hmm...) :p

EDIT:// Sorry about that - As I said before my brain don't work correctly today :banghead: :crazy: :lol:, so now I found izo1 post where
he said - it's Slot 4 :crazy:

(and why..? I think it's can be more comfortable for someone, or
someone's ssdt were prepared like that and he wouldn't change it...
I not sure exactly... as I'm not SAGE board user :p)

Last edited:

Well it's running at 16x on my end and as SAGE/10G has PLX PCIe switch chips, it automatically does that for you and that's why all PCIe slots on the SAGE/10G are full 16x slots.

I put it in Slot 4 because it was the best place for my setup (taking into account water cooling tube length, etc.)

EDIT: in macOS it's reported as 16x. Windows reports as 8x.

I'll probably swap it to 1st slot if permissible.

Last edited:
EDIT: in macOS it's reported as 16x. Windows reports as 8x.

I'll probably swap it to 1st slot if permissible.
Okay
Tell us if you will have a noticeable GPU performance Boost ;)
Do you Know a trustful App to know the PCI slot bandwidth with macOS ?

Just a short note that 10.15.2 Beta is out, Kernel version (19C32e), seems fine on Clover and on OpenCore (I'm running 0.5.3 of OC, but I suspect it will run just fine on 0.5.1 and 0.5.2.). New version of Xcode (11.2), but nothing else that I've noticed yet.

Mostly this version is supposed to be bug fixes and some security updates. I haven't seen exactly what has changed yet, but I'll let you all know what I encounter (if anything) further down the road.

Anything that makes Catalina run a little smoother would be a nice improvement.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back