Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
No not a motherboard feature, but a tool to help diagnose memory problems. See https://www.memtest86.com

I attached a version you can load directly from Opencore.
Unzip and move the whole folder under EFI/OC/Tools. Then create an item in your config.plist under Root/Misc/Tools as per the screenshot.

When you are at Opencore picker, pressing spacebar will show auxiliary boot options where you can select memtest. Just let memtest run on default settings. IIRC it will run four full rounds of tests on default which will take a lot of time so maybe you can let it run during the night for example. If it found any errors, either you need to relax your memory settings or remove half of your memory sticks and then run the test again. Then, for example if you remove 2 out of 4 RAM sticks and memtest no longer finds any errors are you can remove the remaining 2 sticks and reinstall 1 of the sticks you removed in the first place and test with just that to narrow down. It may be you have to test each RAM stick one at a time.View attachment 479669
Well, I guessed out that MemTest was the MemTest86 tool before I saw your post here. I ended up running it from a USB stick yesterday and it finished all 4 passes with 0 errors. It took more than 8 hours. I assume that is the same test that would run from the open core folder you sent me, right?

So no memory errors, so I'm guessing that that might rule out memory as being the source of my reboots, right? If so, is there anywhere else to look to try to diagnose why MacOS is unstable this way?

Yep that is the same test.
If you dual boot into other OS does it reboot randomly there?

Yep that is the same test.
If you dual boot into other OS does it reboot randomly there?
OK. No, it is pretty rock solid in Windows 10. MacOS is where the problem resides and is what I really need to work. Thanks for your help so far!

You wrote earlier that you think the reboots might be sleep related, so in order to maybe rule this out, go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and enable "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" and disable "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

Last edited:
You wrote earlier that you think the reboots might be sleep related, so in order to maybe rule this out, go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and enable "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" and disable "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".
Well, I actually had already enabled the "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" and disabled the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible." So maybe sleep is not really the problem. What I was looking for that I could not find when I said I could not find where to disable sleep was a slider that gave the time before the computer would go to sleep, so that I could make it "Never." It used to be under the display sleep timer - as in "go to sleep when not in use" time. Maybe the is not enabled on my machine or maybe that was taken out of this version of MacOS. Thanks for thinking of that. Let me know if any other ideas come up.

Can't remember which version of MacOS was when the sleep timer slider was taken away. Probably whether the slider appears or not also depends on the Mac model (SMBIOS).

Have you overclocked the CPU?
What AVX offsets?
Did you try with all USB devices other than a mouse & keyboard disconnected and all PCIE cards other than the GPU removed?

Edit: What do the kernel panic reports say? Is there a "recurring theme" and can you share a report? Not that I am an expert at it but maybe there is something we can learn from it.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe the screws are on the backside of the board. This should be the same size as the intel built in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YXS7VF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

or you can try the beta intel drivers. Although handoff and other things arent supported yet

btw i got the prime x299 deluxe II. there are 4-5 black round-head screws around the periphery of the shroud which hold the shroud down from the back side of the board. nearby there are a couple of black flat-head screws that look like they are part of the shroud but actually they hold down the heatsink that's under the shroud.

with the shroud off, i was surprised to find that the WiFi module is encased in a metal EFI can, and the board is actually sticking straight up from the motherboard. in retrospect this makes sense as space is at a premium. anyway there are 2 silver screws holding the can to the board, and then the can itself has one smaller silver screw holding it together. there is some kind of control cable that attaches the motherboard to a PCB inside the shroud. not sure what it is for, maybe LED stuff. once the two silver screws are out (from the back side again) you can pull up the whole can to unseat it from the connector, but it won't come out without removing the back panel cover.

the back panel cover of course is also an EMI shield and is clipped on by metal U-shaped brackets that go around the square component cans at the edges of the shield (audio and keyboard IIRC). honestly i don't know how i got the clips apart, but i somehow did. the whole thing is kind of "sprung" because it has gaskets that are pushed up against all the different shielded connectors at the back edge of the motherboard. when you get one of the clips off it kind of wants to swing out like a door.

the m.2 wifi module is "floating" inside its EMI can, sitting on double-stick foam. the foam is what aligns the board in the can so that the card edge/connector and screw holes for the can on the motherboard all line up. the module is just screwed down to the bottom of the can and held in place in the middle by the double-stick foam. i guess the screw at least prevents the board from moving when you try to re-insert the can/board into the motherboard connector. i had to carefully cut the adhesive between the board and the foam to get the old wifi board off. luckily it was still sticky so that the new board stuck to the foam. finally, i had to trim the label on the back side of the new wifi module to make sure it didn't get into the connector on the motherboard - it hangs way out over the pins.

anyhow the swap with the broadcom board is complete and the shroud and back panel are back on, but i can't test any of this stuff until next week when the RAM comes. hopefully i got it right!

OK. No, it is pretty rock solid in Windows 10. MacOS is where the problem resides and is what I really need to work. Thanks for your help so far!

i guess you can run Prime95 under OSX and see if it crashes under heavy load.

Have you made a USB mapping? or disabled the onboard BT?

I'm starting the USB mapping today,
but while going through the steps it started bothering me for some reason that I did not Patch my BIOS and instead used the alternate method, so I attempted the patch, terminal output seemed like it worked as intended but when i went into flash it said it was not a proper bios file, is it possible the Prime x299 Edition 30 has some kind of security to prevent non-official BIOS?

I did not think to disable built in Bluetooth because i use that with windows and I cant seem to figure out how get the bootcamp drivers for Just the OSXWIFI card i installed so that card does not work in windows lol

I'm starting the USB mapping today,
but while going through the steps it started bothering me for some reason that I did not Patch my BIOS and instead used the alternate method, so I attempted the patch, terminal output seemed like it worked as intended but when i went into flash it said it was not a proper bios file, is it possible the Prime x299 Edition 30 has some kind of security to prevent non-official BIOS?

I did not think to disable built in Bluetooth because i use that with windows and I cant seem to figure out how get the bootcamp drivers for Just the OSXWIFI card i installed so that card does not work in windows lol

just google for Broadcom BCM94360 Win 10 driver, download and install it, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back