Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please re-try with same settings but Automatic = NO.

BTW, I don't see any processor information with Catalina ß8, only with Mojave.

Edited:

And one more try. The CPUID for the Skylake-X, like the 9980XE, is 0x050654 as in Spoiler below:

You reverse this hex code:

View attachment 425930

and then enter it into this area of the OpenCore config.plist:

View attachment 425931

I attached my OpenCore config.plist file as requested in the post immediately below this one. My config file differs a bit in that I have many customized SSDT files for my mobo (ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe) as well as many re-names a al KGP.

Also, I may have some new entries compared to older files as I re-did the config file last night to incorporate v051 (released this week) changes. My memory tab is working well:

OpenCore works the same in Catalina as in Mojave with the same results as shown in the above Spoiler.

However, with Clover, Catalina is a different story, if using all the same settings, I get no Memory tab. If I add-in SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext, I get the result shown below. This Memory Tab reports that there are 9 memory slots; there are only 8. It also references 3200MHz modules but I'm using 4000MHz DDR4.

Finally, Processor is 'Unknown' with either Clover or OpenCore in Catalina.

View attachment 425998

View attachment 425999
Hello Friends! :)
I just find out what'sup with (new thing for me) "OpenCore" (thx @djlild7hina :thumbup:), so I would like to join this thread, - first test it and then use it everyday with Mojave
and on 2nd SSD make some tests on Catalina :)

First very important thing @rj510 can you share your full efi with all .aml patches please? ;)
of course without serial number (I have mine) :p
I have the same MB etc... CPU details and GPU .aml I will modify alone, like other things,
but I could be great to have whole package of your SSDT files to use as template etc.
and big save of time with base on your config :)
Big thanks in advance ;) :thumbup:

I just find out what'sup with (new thing for me) "OpenCore" (thx @djlild7hina :thumbup:), so I would like to join this thread, - first test it and then use it everyday with Mojave

First very important thing @rj510 can you share your full efi with all .aml patches please? ;)
I have the same MB etc... CPU details and GPU .aml I will modify alone, like other things,
but I could be great to have whole package of your SSDT files to use as template etc.

you can also refer to the GitHub on page 1 and @shael efi

you can also refer to the GitHub on page 1 and @shael efi
Thanks for info :) After X tries, last 2 hours, something still won't work properly, but I will
say more after trying @rj510 EFI if he would like to share full EFI with SSDT's :)

So dear @rj510 if you were so nice... could you please share it :p :rolleyes::)

PS: I downloaded Catalina, big fails with first tries... but
I will share (in correct X299 thread) more info after this evening tests (in few hours) :)

Last edited:

The attached files were made for the ASUS Prime Deluxe (version I, not II), using the latest BIOS. You mentioned on another thread that there are not many of us using this mobo and it is probably true. I did find much greater stability in this PD1 mobo with the latest BIOS update.

OK, here's a basic EFI for CLOVER (missing themes, boot files, etc; this should be obvious).

Clover is easier than getting into various boot issues with OC and moving around ACPI and kext files. OC requires you to update the config file if you make any nomenclature changes to any ACPI or kext files.

However, if you wish to use OpenCore, I use the exact same files in OpenCore. I already provided a config.plist OC file in a previous post (here), so the OC version should be easy to construct.

Included are ACPIs, kexts and drivers. For specific BIOS settings, see previous threads by KGP. Power management files all work well, at least with Mojave. These same files will boot into Catalina. I can answer basic questions, but I'm not providing lots of support for it. It works well on my set-up.

Note:
  1. ACPIs have associated slot numbers; you needs may vary, adjust accordingly.
  2. ACPI patched folder has a GPU folder inside containing files for Radeon VII and Vega 56. Use one; if you have another GPU, then don't use either.
  3. The kext/other folder has a PrimeX299DeluxeUSB.kext that will need adjusting depending on which USB ports you wish to use.
  4. Similarly, the TSCAdjustReset-36threads.kext is set for a 9980XE with 18 cores. If you use another processor, you'll need to adjust this file.
  5. The config file has no SNs; you'll need to complete the sections marked "Fill-in". (And again, see the previous post here for the OC version.)

EDIT 9/22/19: Added latest BIOS (v1902) for ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe (version I) with a custom image.

Rather than place in this thread, I posted into the main ASUS X299 Support thread, here. See that post for the customized BIOS attachment.

Attachments

• ASUS-PD1-Folder.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:

The attached files were made for the ASUS Prime Deluxe (version I, not II), using the latest BIOS. You mentioned on another thread that there are not many of us using this mobo and it is probably true. I did find much greater stability in this PD1 mobo with the latest BIOS update.

OK, here's a basic EFI for CLOVER (missing themes, boot files, etc; this should be obvious).

Clover is easier than getting into various boot issues with OC and moving around ACPI and kext files. OC requires you to update the config file if you make any nomenclature changes to any ACPI or kext files.

However, if you wish to use OpenCore, I use the exact same files in OpenCore. I already provided a config.plist OC file in a previous post (here), so the OC version should be easy to construct.

Included are ACPIs, kexts and drivers. For specific BIOS settings, see previous threads by KGP. Power management files all work well, at least with Mojave. These same files will boot into Catalina. I can answer basic questions, but I'm not providing lots of support for it. It works well on my set-up.

Note:
  1. ACPIs have associated slot numbers; you needs may vary, adjust accordingly.
  2. ACPI patched folder has a GPU folder inside containing files for Radeon VII and Vega 56. Use one; if you have another GPU, then don't use either.
  3. The kext/other folder has a PrimeX299DeluxeUSB.kext that will need adjusting depending on which USB ports you wish to use.
  4. Similarly, the TSCAdjustReset-36threads.kext is set for a 9980XE with 18 cores. If you use another processor, you'll need to adjust this file.
  5. The config file has no SNs; you'll need to complete the sections marked "Fill-in". (And again, see the previous post here for the OC version.)

EDIT 9/22/19: Added latest BIOS (v1902) for ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe (version I) with a custom image.

Rather than place in this thread, I posted into the main ASUS X299 Support thread, here. See that post for the customized BIOS attachment.

@rj510 Thank you very much for sharing :clap::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
With a base like that I will be able to adopt everything for my config (all details with ACPI patches of course) and then share with others, with a similar or same hardware config :)

Ad1 - ACPI patches must be changed, adjusted of course,
Ad2 - I have Vega64, it should be easy (I hope) :p
Ad3 - If you used the same config as KGP by default, I think it will be very easy
(if not... if I remember well, it wasn't nothing difficult to change)
Ad4 - TSCAdjustReset change take 5seconds ;P
Ad5 - At the beginning I will try to boot without any SNs etc on test SSD, then of course I will use mine :)

Great job! I will say again, thanks a lof for your time and sharing!
Have a great day/night (depend of your location) ;) :thumbup:

@rj510 Thank you very much for sharing :clap::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
With a base like that I will be able to adopt everything for my config (all details with ACPI patches of course) and then share with others, with a similar or same hardware config :)

Ad1 - ACPI patches must be changed, adjusted of course,
Ad2 - I have Vega64, it should be easy (I hope) :p
Ad3 - If you used the same config as KGP by default, I think it will be very easy
(if not... if I remember well, it wasn't nothing difficult to change)
Ad4 - TSCAdjustReset change take 5seconds ;P
Ad5 - At the beginning I will try to boot without any SNs etc on test SSD, then of course I will use mine :)

Great job! I will say again, thanks a lof for your time and sharing!
Have a great day/night (depend of your location) ;) :thumbup:

Try this attachment for the Vega 64. It's set for Slot 1 and supposedly adjusts the fan speed. I also somewhere have a KEXT that does a great job with Vega 64. Found it.

If you use the Vega64 kext, don't use the first aml file, but the second one that's entitled "...with VegaKext".

Attachments

• Vega64.kext.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 91
  • SSDT-VEGA64.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 82
  • SSDT-VEGA64-with VegaKext.aml
    1.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Try this attachment for the Vega 64. It's set for Slot 1 and supposedly adjusts the fan speed. I also somewhere have a KEXT that does a great job with Vega 64. Found it.

If you use the Vega64 kext, don't use the first aml file, but the second one that's entitled "...with VegaKext".

You are the best! :headbang:
Finally I finish my work for today, so now it's time for pleasure and changes :)
I'll try everything in 40-50 min after BIOS update and give a more details after all tests ;)
Thanks a lot for everything @rj510 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

//update 25.09.2019
After BIOS update, I had a lot of work with new config to revive my 14.6;
but it took too much of time for more test the same day, so
I hope new updates will coming tomorrow, after work :)
PS: Unfortunately, new boot logo is very small on my CF791 so I think I will update it later
with some new image... I will see after functional OC instead Clover.. ;P

Last edited:
@applemacosxGOD

I have the "ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe" and am interested in the new "ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II". I see you have it. Could you do me a favor? Since the documentation of the manufacturer is a bit sparse, I would like to know the following.

Does the "AQC-5G-LAN" work without additional patches or external kext?

I would like to know what the manufacturer has installed exactly. Could you please send me a list of "PCI devices"? You can read them with the program "Hackintool". Especially the built-in Thunderbolt interests me (Titan or Alpine Ridge).

Thank you for your help. If I can help you with optimizing the system, then send me your EFI folder and an Ioregistry Explorer file. I like to look at it.

best regards
apfelnico

@applemacosxGOD

I have the "ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe" and am interested in the new "ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II". I see you have it. Could you do me a favor? Since the documentation of the manufacturer is a bit sparse, I would like to know the following.

Does the "AQC-5G-LAN" work without additional patches or external kext?

I would like to know what the manufacturer has installed exactly. Could you please send me a list of "PCI devices"? You can read them with the program "Hackintool". Especially the built-in Thunderbolt interests me (Titan or Alpine Ridge).

Thank you for your help. If I can help you with optimizing the system, then send me your EFI folder and an Ioregistry Explorer file. I like to look at it.

best regards
apfelnico

Sorry, not a direct answer to your question; somewhat indirect.

The Deluxe II has the Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN. The AQC111C chip is not natively supported by Macs. KPG suggested the Mieze's patch, but it's not clear that this worked in the Deluxe II:

Code:
Name*                            Find*[HEX]             Replace*[HEX]          Comment
AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion      6275696C 742D696E      62626262 62626262      Aquantia patch ©Mieze

And, from this thread on the Deluxe II, no one ever said that they got the 5G LAN to work.

Instead, KPG (see here, E.8.2.1) was recommending an add-in card, such as this. These cards use the Aquantia AQC107 10G LAN chip. The AQC107 is natively supported on Macs (Mieze's patch is not needed).

I've used this card in my Prime Deluxe I (same as your mobo) and you don't even need an ACPI file with Mojave as it self populates the PCI section; truly Plug'NPlay. So this card not only has native Mac support, but twice the speed of the 5G LAN in the Deluxe II.

As for new mobos, you might want to wait for the new 'refreshes' of the X299 line. They should be coming out in the next month or two: X299R or X299G. The exact nomenclature for the new mobos is not yet clear.

What also isn't yet clear are what features these mobos may have, like integral TB3 and 10G LAN. As for the 'refreshed' CPUs, the tests I've seen so far on the PC forums imply that the new CPUs will end up functioning about the same as the current ones, so upgrading the CPUs probably won't help very much.

As for our current mobos, I've noticed that most of them have this month been updated with new BIOS (mostly to pave the way for the 'refreshed' Intel 2066 CPUs). These are the same BIOS I downloaded for the image modifications (here).

The latest BIOS on my Prime Deluxe I has this mobo running very stable and I'm getting great results with my CPU, so I'm now no longer planning to change either the mobo or CPU.

I had been wondering about the Xeon W-3175X, but after watching Linus Tech's use of this CPU in their Hackintosh (here), I'm happy with my setup. He got a GB4 CPU result of almost 80,000. Pretty amazing. But, I get 73,000 with my set up, and my entire rig is the same price as their 3175X CPU alone (their mobo was another $1800): 10% gain for twice the money.

Last edited:
Sorry, not a direct answer to your question; somewhat indirect.

The Deluxe II has the Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN. The AQC111C chip is not natively supported by Macs. KPG suggested the Mieze's patch, but it's not clear that this worked in the Deluxe II:

Code:
Name*                            Find*[HEX]             Replace*[HEX]          Comment
AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion      6275696C 742D696E      62626262 62626262      Aquantia patch ©Mieze

And, from this thread on the Deluxe II, no one ever said that they got the 5G LAN to work.

Instead, KPG (see here, E.8.2.1) was recommending an add-in card, such as this. These cards use the Aquantia AQC107 10G LAN chip. The AQC107 is natively supported on Macs (Mieze's patch is not needed).

I've used this card in my Prime Deluxe I (same as your mobo) and you don't even need an ACPI file with Mojave as it self populates the PCI section; truly Plug'NPlay. So this card not only has native Mac support, but twice the speed of the 5G LAN in the Deluxe II.

As for new mobos, you might want to wait for the new 'refreshes' of the X299 line. They should be coming out in the next month or two: X299R or X299G. The exact nomenclature for the new mobos is not yet clear.

What also isn't yet clear are what features these mobos may have, like integral TB3 and 10G LAN. As for the 'refreshed' CPUs, the tests I've seen so far on the PC forums imply that the new CPUs will end up functioning about the same as the current ones, so upgrading the CPUs probably won't help very much.

As for our current mobos, I've noticed that most of them have this month been updated with new BIOS (mostly to pave the way for the 'refreshed' Intel 2066 CPUs). These are the same BIOS I downloaded for the image modifications (here).

The latest BIOS on my Prime Deluxe I has this mobo running very stable and I'm getting great results with my CPU, so I'm now no longer planning to change either the mobo or CPU.

I had been wondering about the Xeon W-3175X, but after watching Linus Tech's use of this CPU in their Hackintosh (here), I'm happy with my setup. He got a GB4 CPU result of almost 80,000. Pretty amazing. But, I get 73,000 with my set up, and my entire rig is the same price as their 3175X CPU alone (their mobo was another $1800): 10% gain for twice the money.

I've said this before (and strangely, gotten attacked for it), but the best card to buy, at least currently, is the Syba. I have two, one in my X299 WS Sage and one in my 9900k Z370 system. Both work natively, and as I remember, natively with Windows 10 and Linux Mint.

Can't say beyond those OS systems....Here's the Amazon URL: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2DV9K2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

It will save you so much wasted time and effort.....no patches required.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back