Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just briefly: Over this last weekend I upgraded to the WS Sage CEB, which is a lower cost Sage that doesn't have the 10G cards/chips on it. I don't need them, so why pay an additional $200 for something I don't need?

I got a really good price on this board, and I can report that my issues with the Radeon VII have been solved. No more scratchy audio and/or weird audio interrupts. All over.

Also, all my RAM works. I had a real headache getting my RAM to work on the Prime Deluxe, and there has been no issue with the RAM on this board. I'm on bios version 0905, and everything seems fine.

Finally, the 7980xe also works great on this board. I have both Clover and OC working just fine.

Is opencore as stable as Clover on X299 now?

We're all running Hackintoshes. What's your definition of "stable"? :lol:

Yeah, it's fine. I have been running it since 0.2.0, and haven't had any complaints, but if you're not confident researching your problems and reading the configuration documentation with each release, I'd advise you not to use it yet. I believe they're targeting a more public-friendly release with version 0.5.0 (?).

Has anyone got XCPM working on OpenCore?

I have no trouble having it activated under Clover, but so far I've had no luck with OC.

EDIT:
9 Sept 2019: SOLVED

To get XCPM working, X86PlatformPlugin must be injected. In Clover, one simply checks the Clover/ACPI PluginType box to get X86PlatformPlugin injected:

Clover_plugin.jpg

There is no such box in OpenCore, so it requires an SSDT file. Most on-line SSDT methods for trying to inject X86PlatformPlugin use the following code, which did not work on the X299 ASUS Prime Deluxe.

Not working in OpenCore:
Code:
Scope (_SB.PR00)
{
      Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
      {
            If (LNot (Arg2))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03                         
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x02)
            {
                "plugin-type",
                One
            })
      }
}

The first line can also appear as Scope (_SB.CP00) or Scope (_SB.CPU0) depending upon the mobo. But none of these variations work the the X299 ASUS Prime Deluxe mobo.

For this mobo, I finally found that it required the following code: Scope (\_SB.SCK0.PR00).

Working in OpenCore:
Code:
Scope (\_SB.SCK0.PR00)
{
      Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
      {
            If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03                                     
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x02)
            {
                "plugin-type",
                One
            })
      }
}

Attached is the SSDT file that works with OpenCore, properly injecting X86PlatformPlugin, using the X299 ASUS Prime Deluxe mobo and it will probably work with other X299 mobos. It will also work with Clover if you un-check the PluginType box, but why bother.

Attachments

• SSDT-Plug-X299.aml
    109 bytes · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hello all,

I am about to assemble my first hackintosh (I have some 10 years of C and Python programming experience and love tinkering with hw and sf... ).
I would like to ask your advice on the following:

1. What if I start right away with opencore bypassing all the clover legacy? I am aware that it is still very raw, but maybe I jump on the boat and sail along the opencore development? (I also speak Italian and Russian so started to follow macos86.it, macos86.gitbook.io)

2. If 1 is a good option, could I start with someone's relatively stable EFI folder with same (or very similar config*)?

* - ASUS WS x299 Sage (non 10G)
- 9960x (might go for 9980xe in the future)
- 32 GB (2x16) 3200 Vengeance RAM
- Saphire Radeon VII (no preference for pci-e slot, but I think asus likes it in slot 1 when using only one GPU)
- FUTURE PLAN (Titan Ridge TB in slot 2, Wi-Fi bluetooth card in slot 2, maybe a second Radeon VII)
- for drives I currently have 2x1TB 970PRO M.2 ssds in U.2 enclosures which I want to software raid under mac os x and use as media/video high-speed drive, Silicon Power SSD 1TB M.2 which I thought to split in two partions one for windows 10 and another for Mojave/Catalina (good idea or no?)

Thank you for all the amazing work done by this community!

Hello all,

I am about to assemble my first hackintosh (I have some 10 years of C and Python programming experience and love tinkering with hw and sf... ).

1. What if I start right away with opencore bypassing all the clover legacy? I am aware that it is still very raw, but maybe I jump on the boat and sail along the opencore development? (I also speak Italian and Russian so started to follow macos86.it, macos86.gitbook.io)

2. If 1 is a good option, could I start with someone's relatively stable EFI folder with same (or very similar config*)?

- Saphire Radeon VII (no preference for pci-e slot, but I think asus likes it in slot 1 when using only one GPU)
- FUTURE PLAN (Titan Ridge TB in slot 2, Wi-Fi bluetooth card in slot 2, maybe a second Radeon VII)
- for drives I currently have 2x1TB 970PRO M.2 ssds in U.2 enclosures which I want to software raid under mac os x and use as media/video high-speed drive, Silicon Power SSD 1TB M.2 which I thought to split in two partions one for windows 10 and another for Mojave/Catalina (good idea or no?)

Yes, look at my base config in my github repo in post 1. You’ll also need the Ethernet kexts in @kgp thread for the non 10g Sage. I’d recommend your VII in slot 5 if you can’t get an PCI riser or you’re not water cooling. If you’re getting another VII then use slots 3 and 5. While it’s possible to dual boot on the same drive. I highly recommend to install windows and Mac on separate drives. It’ll save you a lot of headache. ;)

Last edited:
Hello all,

Well, given that the Radeon VII takes two slots, and your plan is to install it in slot 1, how are you going to install the Titan Ridge in slot2?

Might be better to use slot 4 for the Radeon, slot 2 for the Titan Ridge, and slot 1 for the Bcm card.

Also, might be better to buy a cheap 2.5 SSD for Windows and not use partition booting but rather disk booting, which works great (at least on clover).....

The 9960/7960 range might just be as good (almost) as the 7980/9980, just sayin....

Thank you for excelent replies, both informative and encouraging...
1. I do indeed have a pci riser cable (the linkup extreme one) that I planned to use with radeon VII, because the case I am using/modifying does give me a separate (also airflow wise) compartment to put the GPU in and mount it vertically vertically.
2. Got you on the separate drive for windows, will surely go that way. Does it make sense to install windows first and see that all works (I would anyway need it for TB setup later on, right?) and after that go for Catalina install?
3. mm2margaret, have you already managed to have LAN working under opencore+Catalina? If so maybe your efi would be closer to my config?...

Now for the actual first-ever-install, correct me if I am wrong, please:
a. prepare Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - GUID formated 8GB flash drive
b. download Catalina and terminal-move it to USB
c. mountEFI
d. replace EFI folder with the one from DJ7_ASUS_WS_X299Sage10G_Properties (or mm2margaret's)
e. What modifications have to be done to this EFI folder, core count is different, right? should that be changed somewhere?
--- on that step I am done with USB preparation on my MacBook and switch to hackintosh?
f. Boot into UEFI and configure it according to KGP x299 guide?
g. Reboot from usb and install Catalina?

1. I do indeed have a pci riser cable (the linkup extreme one) that I planned to use with radeon VII, because the case I am using/modifying does give me a separate (also airflow wise) compartment to put the GPU in and mount it vertically vertically.
2. Got you on the separate drive for windows, will surely go that way. Does it make sense to install windows first and see that all works (I would anyway need it for TB setup later on, right?) and after that go for Catalina install?
3. mm2margaret, have you already managed to have LAN working under opencore+Catalina? If so maybe your efi would be closer to my config?...

c. mountEFI
d. replace EFI folder with the one from DJ7_ASUS_WS_X299Sage10G_Properties (or mm2margaret's)
e. What modifications have to be done to this EFI folder, core count is different, right? should that be changed somewhere?
--- on that step I am done with USB preparation on my MacBook and switch to hackintosh?

Yes go with the riser cable and slot 1 if you can and slot 5 second. 4 and 6 should be the last ones you use for a primary gpu. Honestly I'd start installing Windows then use kgp's Mojave guide with Clover. Once you feel more comfortable and have a good baseline then you can try OpenCore. Just my two cents :).
But if you're daring use "DJ7_EFI_OC004_ASUS_BASE_081919.zip". This should work with the majority of ASUS x299 boards. The Sage10g properties.zip contains additional config for the sage/10g only. I mentioned in the READMEs on my github of what needs to be changed. You'll also need to configure a usb kext for the Sage.
Lastly I highly recommend reading the OpenCore documentation rather than just using a pre built config.

Attached my base config plus added the ethernet kexts and adjusted TSCAdjustReset.kext for the 9960. This should be enough to get you started.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Attachments

• DJ7_EFI_OC004_ASUS_WSX299Sage_081919.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

c. mountEFI

So, with a riser cable, yes, then use slot1. Slot1 is the best, if you can use it.

Yes, probably best to install Windows first (that's because of Windows boot manager, which will try and take over booting for everything - at least it did with me). Windows is also a good test for your hardware. Lots of utilities that you can use to test there, if you want. I would get Windows going, and especially make sure that Thunderbolt is working there before moving to macOS.

No, I had no issue with LAN, but I use a Syba Aquantia 10GbE card, and it works natively with macOS. For Windows, I downloaded the drivers and installed them - worked fine. For the 1Gb cards/chips either Mieze's Ethernet drivers or the SmallTree drivers should work just fine. Both drivers are easily obtainable, and may be included in the downloads from kgp's thread (here on this site) or Github. You can also download Smalltree's drivers direct from Smalltree's site. The point is they're not hard to find if you need them.

You should use the EFI that djlild7hina has posted (for OC) with only a few modifications and that should get you going in OC. But of course, read the documentation on OC, and remember, OC is still very much in development (think beta), still very new and different. In many ways, maybe better, but still very new.

Clover EFI's are available on Github, search for kgp (before he stopped posting, he updated his system to a Sage/10G), or despite the fact that his thread here on this site is closed, I think you can still download from it, and you can still use most of his guide to get you going on Clover. You should update some of the drivers (for Clover), but I still think you should be able to get it going with little effort.

Due to bad experiences I don't post my EFI's anymore. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back