Contribute
Register

X299 MSI High Sierra Build - Stable system. Looking for 4K monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all have clean audio? I'm getting a lot of hiss from my speakers?
I get a lot of noise too, but the VoodooHDA prefpane fixes that. Notice however that I have VoodooHDA kext installed, not Toleda's. Also, I have to use the pref pane after each reboot to fix the noise:

1. Select the correct PCI path: the shortest (see screenshot).
2. Different outputs are available.
3. Move the "Input Gain" slider.
4. Select the PCI path again.

This should remove the noise. It works on my headphones.

Besides this issue, VoodooHDA gives a loud crack when it loads, so it is recommended to boot with speakers off or not wearing headphones. Note that there is no issue with HDMI out, except that I can't control the volume level with the OS, only with the monitor.

Also note that I used VoodooHDA in my two previous hacks (a laptop and a desktop from 2012) and both had similar issues: sound cracks at boot and needing to fiddle with the VoodooPrefpane each time we reboot. There is a Voodoo app that should save/load the prefpane settings at boot, but I never understood how it works. I used it for a while without it doing anything, and then one day it worked and the Voodoo settings were loaded properly at boot. At the moment it hasn't work for me on this system...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 17.42.08.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 17.42.08.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Well, I managed to improve idle performance. Used MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS and removed FakeCPUID in Kernel&Kext Patches...

Power usage now is around 10-13W and no clock hopping anymore.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.17.47.png

Hey everyone.

I'm officially stuck.

View attachment 272334

There's absolutely nothing on the net regarding this error.

I've managed to install High Sierra. When I try to boot into the newly created boot disk, this error comes up. I've experimented with 4 different config.plist (generic from Tonymac, pete1959, kgp (from his perfect customac build) and ptzulu). They all give me the exact same screen, which tells me the error is caused before it even gets to the plist file.

Please help!
Use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi

I was about to ask the same thing, since i have pretty much the same system:

MSI X299 SLI Plus
Intel Core i7 7800x
PNY NVidia GTX 1070 8GB

@petrikleynhans

can you tell us the bios configs that you applyied for your installion?

Last edited:
Update 08/19

I managed to boot into Mac OS High Sierra! :headbang::headbang:

View attachment 273175

Thanks to everyone who helped, as well as all the EFI's made available general input on this and other forums. It's been a bit of a trainwreck, but I managed to work my way through a million hangs and error codes.

But now, the post-installation starts.

And I'm not getting anywhere.

Here are the problems I'm currently struggling with:
  1. I can't get BIOS to recognise the Mac SSD EFI as a boot option.I have to hit F11 everytime and navigate to the EUFI drive. How can I fix this?
  2. I can't get my GTX1050Ti to work. I've run the patch according to KGP's latest X299 guide. I've patched using nvidia driver updater, run the AGDPfix. I also worked through Problem #6. When I reboot using web drivers, my boot hangs with a IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0. error.
  3. Bluetooth doesn't work. I bought the Broadcom BCM94360. Wifi workedc OOB. Bluetooth is picking up under USB, but not showing under Bluetooth.

1. View attachment 273184
View attachment 273176

I'm sure there will be more, but for now these are my biggest issues.

If anyone can help me get past this, that would be great.

How did you get past the runtime and plus sign errors? I'm losing my mind here :(

Hey guys, just posting on this thread to know if there's an easier way to install hackintosh on - 7900X + MSI x299? Or should i just give up? I can't even get past the apple logo while installing, crashes every single time :(

Hey guys, just posting on this thread to know if there's an easier way to install hackintosh on - 7900X + MSI x299? Or should i just give up? I can't even get past the apple logo while installing, crashes every single time :(

Howzit man!

Don't give up, I've been running my Hackintosh now for 2 years - very stable.

The MSI just needs a little bit of love, and a few extra steps.

I haven't tweaked anything lately, so my memory is a little rusty, but here goes:
1. Make sure your BIOS is setup. I only changed CFG Lock to Disabled and VT-d to Disabled. You'll have to look for them.
2. Until you have solved everything, boot in verbose mode. I had to send a lot of screengrabs initially to get feedback.
3. 99% of my issues were with Memory allocation.
3.1 I've included my setup, see if it works for you.
3.2 If you're booting from USB, try different ports, sometimes that would get it going.
3.3 Trying switching the PC off at the power source, so that it flushes the memory. Leave off for 30s, then try again, sometimes that worked.
3.4 I've also included all the previous AptioMemFix files I've tried and tested. You can combine any ONE of the MemFix files and ONE of the test files as well. Two Memfix files won't work. So there are a lot of combinations to try out. It's time-consuming, but that's how I got it to work.
3.5 As soon as you can boot into Mac OS, start making backups of your EFI folders, so that you have a backup in hand. Again, you might continue struggling for a stable startup, but once you have a setup that gets you in, you KNOW that it's only port / flushing that's wrong.

4. USB port limits - I had to build my own DSD file - it's also included, but no guarantees that it'll work.
5. Audio was a major problem, but since upgrading to Catalina, it's working fine.

I'm very happy, and haven't had an issue in the last 4 or 5 updates (apart from the normal growing pains). Almost everything is working (except handoff) and my setup is very vanilla.

All the best!

Attachments

• CLOVER MSI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 57
  • CLOVER MSI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
Howzit man!

Don't give up, I've been running my Hackintosh now for 2 years - very stable.

The MSI just needs a little bit of love, and a few extra steps.

I haven't tweaked anything lately, so my memory is a little rusty, but here goes:
1. Make sure your BIOS is setup. I only changed CFG Lock to Disabled and VT-d to Disabled. You'll have to look for them.
2. Until you have solved everything, boot in verbose mode. I had to send a lot of screengrabs initially to get feedback.
3. 99% of my issues were with Memory allocation.
3.1 I've included my setup, see if it works for you.
3.2 If you're booting from USB, try different ports, sometimes that would get it going.
3.3 Trying switching the PC off at the power source, so that it flushes the memory. Leave off for 30s, then try again, sometimes that worked.
3.4 I've also included all the previous AptioMemFix files I've tried and tested. You can combine any ONE of the MemFix files and ONE of the test files as well. Two Memfix files won't work. So there are a lot of combinations to try out. It's time-consuming, but that's how I got it to work.
3.5 As soon as you can boot into Mac OS, start making backups of your EFI folders, so that you have a backup in hand. Again, you might continue struggling for a stable startup, but once you have a setup that gets you in, you KNOW that it's only port / flushing that's wrong.

4. USB port limits - I had to build my own DSD file - it's also included, but no guarantees that it'll work.
5. Audio was a major problem, but since upgrading to Catalina, it's working fine.

I'm very happy, and haven't had an issue in the last 4 or 5 updates (apart from the normal growing pains). Almost everything is working (except handoff) and my setup is very vanilla.

All the best!
You sir, are a legend! Will update on the progress. Cheers.

IT'S ALL WORKING!!!!
Can not even begin to explain how elated i am.
Thank you tonymac community, thank you @petrikleynhans, you're a legend!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back