Contribute
Register

X299 motherboard choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, sorry. Unfortunately, I wrote all of this up, but then I had to stop working on that system with the MSI board.
Ah I totally understand - thanks for the fast reply!

The answer to that question would ideally be provided by a block diagram, and there's one at page 20 of the manual… but it's the most useless diagram I've ever seen.
Haha! Yeah srsly... I like the piles of thumb drives to illustrate "USB" though... Thanks for the C422 tip, I was trying to find the right Z490 (not enough PCIe) when I learned about X299 and stumbled on @kylec 's posts. I'll look into C422.

I'm trying to build a video production / multimedia machine and I want everything to live inside a rack mount chassis. Ideally it would house graphics card, video I/O board, audio I/O board, contain 1 or 2 RAIDs for storage and still have all the bells and whistles like wifi6, bluetooth, thunderbolt 3 and M.2 for the OS. I should probably start a more detailed thread for this...

Thanks both for your help!

Hey this is great! I saw the ASUS one but I completely missed the TB3 thread. Thanks for leads!

On the C422 side with Thunderbolt headers the choice boils down to ASUS WS C422 Pro/SE and the ASUS WS C422 SAGE/10G variant. Though a header may not be necessary as @obus sucessfully runs not one but two Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC in his ASUS WS C422 Pro/SE.
Were 48 lanes still not enough, you'd be looking at Xeon W-3200 on the few motherboards which actually cater to their 64 lanes and not only the usual 48 lanes from Xeon Scalable: ASUS Pro WS C621-64L SAGE and SAGE/10G, Supermicro X11SPA-TF (most flexible board, with PEX PCIe switches everywhere).

It's probably best to initiate your own thread.

Thread created!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back