Contribute
Register

X299 Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done guys!

Any chance you can write up a build guide? Even a simple one will do. I've got an MSI X299 SLI Plus rig, and this will be my first build, so ANY directions will be welcomed by many I'm sure.

Otherwise, can you please just show me which build you worked off of, just to get me started?

Thanks again, I'm really glad the hacks came through so quickly. I was preparing myself to be on Windows for at least 6 months!

Very interested in this. Was going to wait till the new iMac Pro before taking the plunge, but this has me reconsidering the wait.

Will probably hold off until things like power management get sorted. Would also be interested to see if anyone has success with the NVIDIA cards (I'm guessing that will have to wait until after HS is released and NVIDIA provide drivers).

Are all USB ports running at full speed? Interested in USB3.1 Gen 2 support particularly...

I'm also interested in buying one rig for video post based on:
-i7 7820X
-Asus X299-A Prime

Does the Asus mobo will be a reliable option or stick with Gigabyte?
Will the system be as stable as X99?

I had an Asus hack, a Gigabyte hack and an EVGA one, all X99. It's just personal preference, but I liked the Gigabyte, so I got the X299 Gigabyte. Mainly the colour and USB DAC sold it for me. I think it's personal preference these days.

It's too early to say it's stable, but after 1 week I haven't had any unexplained crashes yet :)

Thanks Pete, I'll keep an eye over your progress.
My 7 years old x58 still can't wait until apple releases official support .)
Good work! Keep it up!

I noticed you've mentioned that all the USB ports are working - does this include the Type C USB 3.1 Gen2 port? Is it working at full speed?

Awesome. This is shaping up as my next build then. Keep us posted on the stability :)

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of usage does this setup get? What sort of apps have you tested it with?

Awesome. This is shaping up as my next build then. Keep us posted on the stability :)

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of usage does this setup get? What sort of apps have you tested it with?

@vepus - X58 and a xeon 5690 was my first hack :) They were great!

I use this computer about 10hrs a day if not more (business at home :p )
Mainly Archicad - modelling software which uses Cinerender - renders in CPU, then small stuff for research.

Chrome browser started crashing it since I removed all the patches, so I've switched to Safari to see if the crashes are across software. So far nothing else is bringing it on.

I had an Asus hack, a Gigabyte hack and an EVGA one, all X99. It's just personal preference, but I liked the Gigabyte, so I got the X299 Gigabyte. Mainly the colour and USB DAC sold it for me. I think it's personal preference these days.

It's too early to say it's stable, but after 1 week I haven't had any unexplained crashes yet :)

Did you installed Mac OS X on your X299?

Try to use ASUS TUF x299 Mark 1 to install a MacOS, but met some problems related the USB...

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 293
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back