AMD Ryzen 5900x
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I've been reading up a LOT on this website, with some great builds. But unfortunately, I don't have reasonable access to the "preferred" components. I live in South Africa, so importing is virtually impossible (none of the US/UK companies ship to SA). In over here, we have a limited assortment, or you pay a heavy premium for choice.

I have managed to find a local company that can help, but they don't stock the same components as featured regularly on this site, so I'm hoping that you guys can provide some advice on my possible build. In particular, the graphics card is MSI.

The purpose is for work. I do a lot of motion graphics (After Effects), and editing on Premiere Pro. My animations are usually quite long (up to 10 minutes), so the renders are the key for me. I currently have a 2012 Imac with 16Gb of ram, and a SSD raid (external) running through Thunderbolt as my operating drive.

Here are the parts I've selected from the site:

MSI X99A TOMAHAWK LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) 15MB Cache Broadwell-E 12x Threads Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor 14nm 140W - Retail (BX80671I76800K)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC OVERCLOCKED Edition 6GB GDDR5 1280 Core
[GRAY] Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
Kingston SSDNow UV400 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Antec Neo Eco 650W ATX Modular Power Supply - 650W Continuous Power - 80 Plus Bronze
Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED CPU Cooler
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Gaming Case
My goals for the build are:
1. Longevity
2. Rendering power
3. Silent

If possible, I would also like to use my current Imac as the primary screen. Would that be possible?

It's a scary prospect, but I'm excited to take it on. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Update on previous post.

I've changed up a few of the components.

Here is the new list:
MSI X99A Tomahawk LGA 2011-v3
Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHZ
Zotac Geforce GTZ 1060 OC 6GB
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
Antec 650W - 80 Plus Bronze
WD Green 260Gb SSD
Samsung Evo 750 120Gb SSD
WD Blue 2TB HDD
Carbide 270R Case

Any items I should absolutely stay away from?

Thanks guys.

Further update:

MSI X299 SLI Plus
i7 7800X 6-core 4.0Ghz
MSI Getorce 1050Ti 4Gb
32Gb Fury DDR4 2400(2x16) Memory
Antec 650+80 Bronze
MSI Core Frozr L Cooler
AzureWave EC123 mPCIe wifi and BT.4 card
Fenvi Wireless network mini PCIe to Desktop PCIe converter

Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb M.2 PCI-E.3
WD Blue 2TB

Current Imac to be used as primary screen
LG 25UM58-P 25” monitor as secondary screen

I've already purchased a few of the products, but any advise would be welcome. In particular, I've read the following if anyone wants to give input:

• Stay away from WD Green drives. They are a LOT slower than the other WD colors.
  • Then I've decided to sacrifice on the GPU size and rather double the amount of RAM in my system. As I use After Effects about 80% of the time, this will give me better performance for roughly the same cost.
  • The plan is to start with the HDD, which I will partition. Then once everything is running smoothly, I'll migrate onto the SSD. And then one day when I have funds for the M.2 drive, that will become my OS drive, the SSD will become my cache drive, and the HDD will be the media drive.

Thanks gents. Will hopefully be able to start building next month. Good luck to you all!

Further update:

MSI X299 SLI Plus
i7 7800X 6-core 4.0Ghz
MSI Getorce 1050Ti 4Gb
32Gb Fury DDR4 2400(2x16) Memory
Antec 650+80 Bronze
MSI Core Frozr L Cooler
AzureWave EC123 mPCIe wifi and BT.4 card
Fenvi Wireless network mini PCIe to Desktop PCIe converter

Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb M.2 PCI-E.3
WD Blue 2TB

Current Imac to be used as primary screen
LG 25UM58-P 25” monitor as secondary screen

I've already purchased a few of the products, but any advice would be welcome. In particular, I've read the following if anyone wants to give input:

• Stay away from WD Green drives. They are a LOT slower than the other WD colors.
  • Then I've decided to sacrifice on the GPU size and rather double the amount of RAM in my system. As I use After Effects about 80% of the time, this will give me better performance for roughly the same cost.
  • The plan is to start with the HDD, which I will partition. Then once everything is running smoothly, I'll migrate onto the SSD. And then one day when I have funds for the M.2 drive, that will become my OS drive, the SSD will become my cache drive, and the HDD will be the media drive.

Thanks gents. Will hopefully be able to start building next month. Good luck to you all!

Want to use X299? That will be a stab in the dark. The current MacOS Sierra does not support this hardware. But the next version MacOS High Sierra might, as it is possible that the unreleased iMac Pro and the 2018 Mac Pro may use hardware based on the X299 platform. I am not sure if you can make it work at this point.

As for using the iMac screen as a monitor, check :
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Thanks Jamesbond,

I know it will be a while before the system will be Hackintosh viable, but the upside of longevity outweighs the immediate ability to Hack the system.

And thanks for the link to the screen website. I saw it somewhere, but it's nice to have it "bookmarked".

Latest update (07/13)

Items already purchased:

MSI Getorce 1050Ti 4Gb
MSI Core Frozr L Cooler
Broadcom BCM4360 Desktop PCIe wifi wireless WLAN Bluetooth BT 4.0 Card to Apple (thank you Going Bald!)
WD Blue 2TB
NZXT S340 Elite White case
LG 25UM58-P 25” monitor

Hopefully next month I will be able to purchase the motherboard and CPU and PSU, then we can start building.

Hello guys,

So my system is built! Now for the next step. I've seen that the hacks are starting to come through, so hopefully I will have my system up and running sooner rather than later (I'm already frustrated with Windows).

Will keep updating this post for those with MSI motherboards.

OK So first question.

I'm trying to download the latest version of High Sierra. I attempted to register as a developer, but that would cost me $99 per year.

Is there a free way to get the builds, or do I simply have to download from a direct link?

OK so I started with the build.

For ease of reference, this is the final system I built:
MSI X299 SLI Plus
i7 7800X 6-core 4.0Ghz
MSI Getorce 1050Ti 4Gb
32Gb Corsair DDR4 2400(2x16) Memory
Broadcom BCM4360 Desktop PCIe wifi wireless WLAN Bluetooth BT 4.0 Card to Apple

Experimented last night, trying to get OSX High Sierra onto my system. I got a lot of failures, most prominent one being
"Couldn’t Allocate Runtime Area Errors"

I used these two threads as the basis of the build.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-i9-7900x-x299-ga-aorus-9-radeon-vega.229006/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-13-on-x99-full-success.227001/#post-1542618

Then, around 23h00 last night, it managed to go all the way through to the Mac Os Installer function.
At that point I thought I had made it through!

But the interface was RIDICULOUSLY slow. It would take almost 2 minutes for a single click to process. I tried to format my SSD to the new Apple format (APFS or something). It formatted, but didn't want to mount. I then left it overnight, hoping that this morning the interface would maybe cache or something so I can get the install going. Unfortunately it decided to freeze instead. And then when I restarted, I was back to the first error, Runtime Area.

Any help would be welcomed. Hoping to see an MSI build soon.

OK so I started with the build.

For ease of reference, this is the final system I built:
MSI X299 SLI Plus
i7 7800X 6-core 4.0Ghz
MSI Getorce 1050Ti 4Gb
32Gb Corsair DDR4 2400(2x16) Memory
Broadcom BCM4360 Desktop PCIe wifi wireless WLAN Bluetooth BT 4.0 Card to Apple

Experimented last night, trying to get OSX High Sierra onto my system. I got a lot of failures, most prominent one being
"Couldn’t Allocate Runtime Area Errors"

I used these two threads as the basis of the build.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-i9-7900x-x299-ga-aorus-9-radeon-vega.229006/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-13-on-x99-full-success.227001/#post-1542618

Then, around 23h00 last night, it managed to go all the way through to the Mac Os Installer function.
At that point I thought I had made it through!

But the interface was RIDICULOUSLY slow. It would take almost 2 minutes for a single click to process. I tried to format my SSD to the new Apple format (APFS or something). It formatted, but didn't want to mount. I then left it overnight, hoping that this morning the interface would maybe cache or something so I can get the install going. Unfortunately it decided to freeze instead. And then when I restarted, I was back to the first error, Runtime Area.

Any help would be welcomed. Hoping to see an MSI build soon.

hi i think you need apfs.efi i clover drivers,Can you upload your clover folder please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back