Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. You mentioned this EFI is for newest BIOS, I'm sticking to 2002 at the moment cause I read the later versions have some kinks somehow. Is it still good to start with yours on 2002 or must I update BIOS to 3105?

I haven't tested it but I believe it should work

Don’t know if someone already posted this but here we go.
Asus prime X299 Deluxe Apple wifi upgrade.
(Pretty much the same for all Asus x299 boards with integrated Wifi)
It’s simple but be careful:

You need:

• BCM94360NG NGFF M.2 2230 WiFi Card - Amazon
  • Phillip screwdriver
  • If you are going to use it with windows you need the Bootcamp Drivers.
Remember that you will be performing a hardware modification on your board, so have anti-static protection and be careful not to harm your board in the process.

Remove the board from your computer and disconnect any cables, ram, cooling etc. You don’t have to remove the processor.

View attachment 540797

Underneath the board you will see the screws that holds the plastic cover with RGB.
View attachment 540800

Remove the screws. Move to the side the plastic RGB panel and then carefully slide the connector off the board.
View attachment 540799

Please put aside the plastic RGB cover :clap:.

Proceed to remove the wifi screws.
View attachment 540801
And carefully pull the metal cartridge.

View attachment 540802

Take out the information stickers to open the metal enclosure and you will find an M.2 Wifi card.

View attachment 540803

The card is in place with foam tape and a top anti static tape, Remove the antenna cables and careful detach the old wifi card from the foam tape.
Try not to brake too much the foam tape as you’re going to use it for the new card. You will only use 2 of the antenna cables, the 3rd one you are not going to use it.
View attachment 540812

Exchange the cards with the new one and then put the first 2 antennas back
View attachment 540806

Assemble everything back and there you will have it.

View attachment 540807

Full with airdrop support.
How did you get the Bluetooth to work? I swapped everything out and got the wifi running.

Anything in the config, Kexts, or steps to get it working? Been a puzzle for me.
bluetooth.png
EDIT:Fixed it by mapping my mapping my bluetooth and setting it to 255

Last edited:
How did you get the Bluetooth to work? I swapped everything out and got the wifi running.

Anything in the config, Kexts, or steps to get it working? Been a puzzle for me.View attachment 541917EDIT:Fixed it by mapping my mapping my bluetooth and setting it to 255
cool, sorry, was on vacations and didn't log in, The BCM94360NG is full Vanilla and has Native Support, no Driver needed for macOS and no other kext or any patching needed, always keep the default setting on Clover or OC. I didn't had to map it, but its good to know for future references.

I've been running a 7900x on Big Sur for a while now, but I've just done something stupid: put the CPU in upside-down while installing a new cooler. The CPU is bent and so are many of the pins on the MB. My assumption is that I need a new CPU and MB.

I'm looking at a 10900x and an ASUS MB (not narrowed it down to the model yet) as I'm currently on a x299 deluxe. Do you think Mac OS will work out of the box with that hardware if I just plug in my current drive?

Thanks,

Nick

New (different) motherboard = New EFI.
You may reuse your serial number, but SSDTs and quirks may need some adjustments.

May I ask why your plan is to stay on X299?

Thanks. The problem is that I don't have another machine with mac os installed on it to make the tweaks on. I still have the install USB that I used on my broken machine. Do you think I have any chance of sorting this? There's a chance that I can make a hackintosh out of a very old PC I have if I can get hold of mountain lion. That might be the way forwards.

In terms of why I want to use x299, I need the pcie lanes for a gpu, 4 extra nvme drives and extra sata ports. I also use 128gb ram for photoshop work. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative build?

Last edited:
I've been running a 7900x on Big Sur for a while now, but I've just done something stupid: put the CPU in upside-down while installing a new cooler. The CPU is bent and so are many of the pins on the MB. My assumption is that I need a new CPU and MB.

I'm looking at a 10900x and an ASUS MB (not narrowed it down to the model yet) as I'm currently on a x299 deluxe. Do you think Mac OS will work out of the box with that hardware if I just plug in my current drive?

Thanks,

Nick
An Intel 10900(K) and Z490 Comet Lake is a good choice if you would like to avoid the latest 12th Alder Lake in favor of a more cost effective build.

Are you sure you don’t have access to any Mac or Windows system in order to edit config.plist for OpenCore? An X299 EFI contains lots and lots of ACPI renames and kernel flags that would need to be disabled. It would be better to download a new EFI folder that is pre-configured for the board of choice. Even then, it will be necessary to transfer PlatformInfo (serial) credentials to the new config.plist.

An Intel 10900(K) and Z490 Comet Lake is a good choice if you would like to avoid the latest 12th Alder Lake in favor of a more cost effective build.

Are you sure you don’t have access to any Mac or Windows system in order to edit config.plist for OpenCore? An X299 EFI contains lots and lots of ACPI renames and kernel flags that would need to be disabled. It would be better to download a new EFI folder that is pre-configured for the board of choice. Even then, it will be necessary to transfer PlatformInfo (serial) credentials to the new config.plist.
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the 10900x because it has more pcie lanes. The reason being that I have the ASUS HYPER M.2 PCIe x16 Gen 4 NVMe Card and a card with some extra Sata ports as well as the GPU. I was avoiding Alder Lake because it only has 20, doesn't it?

I'm also looking at a ASUS Pro WS X299 SAGE II Intel X299 MB.

I have a windows laptop on that I can edit on. I thought I'd have to rebuild from scratch if it didn't boot from the drive I've been using. It sounds like that's not the case. Do I just edit the config.plist for OpenCore? If so, do you know where I can find a list of the changes that are needed?

Thanks. The problem is that I don't have another machine with mac os installed on it to make the tweaks on. I still have the install USB that I used on my broken machine. Do you think I have any chance of sorting this?
You already have a macOS installer; any computer which can mount an EFI partition may be used to make the tweaks.

In terms of why I want to use x299, I need the pcie lanes for a gpu, 4 extra nvme drives and extra sata ports. I also use 128gb ram for photoshop work. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative build?
The need for more PCIe lanes and lots of RAM are good pointers to X299. Actually high RAM would even point to C422 or C621, to use cheaper and/or bigger RDIMM modules, but since you already have the UDIMM you may as well go for X299.
I understand that Photoshop does not make good use of many cores. Maybe a CPU with less cores but higher frequency than a 10900X would be better?

Only the same motherboard guarantees that the EFI folder will work as is. Any different model may require tweaks, but this should be simple if you can find a motherboard with a documented build.

You already have a macOS installer; any computer which can mount an EFI partition may be used to make the tweaks.

The need for more PCIe lanes and lots of RAM are good pointers to X299. Actually high RAM would even point to C422 or C621, to use cheaper and/or bigger RDIMM modules, but since you already have the UDIMM you may as well go for X299.
I understand that Photoshop does not make good use of many cores. Maybe a CPU with less cores but higher frequency than a 10900X would be better?

Only the same motherboard guarantees that the EFI folder will work as is. Any different model may require tweaks, but this should be simple if you can find a motherboard with a documented build.

Thanks. I've done a bit of search for a CPU with a higher frequency than the 10900x, but I can't find anything X299 that has lots of PCIE lanes. Am I missing something? If not, I think I've decided to go with a 10920X and ASUS Pro WS X299 SAGE II Intel X299 MB. The 10920x is actually cheaper than the 10900x for some reason and I also have other workflows that do utilise many cores better than photoshop. I

In terms of the install, I've found this: https://github.com/nadenf/ASUS-X299-Hackintosh. It seems suggest that it can be used on all Asus X299 boards. Or am I misunderstanding? If I'm not, won't I be good to go, given that my broken board is an Asus x299 Deluxe?

One other thing is that I seem to recall having to enter the number of threads on the CPU as part of the install process. The 10920x has a few more than my old 7900x. Do you know where I update this?

Sorry for all the questions. It's ages since I last did a build, and I can't remember how I did it!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back