Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm having my first attempt at upgrading from High Sierra to Big Sur using Open Core. I'm getting the attached error(s) when Booting from the USB stick. I've also attached the config.plst I've tried googling but can't find a solution.

I've tried adding the spec of my set up in the signature, but it doesn't seem to be showing. I'm not sure why. Here are the main components:

CPU: 7900x
GPU: GTX690 - being used for the install as the 1070ti isn't compatible. I plan to upgrade the GPU once un and running.
MB: Asus x299 Deluxe

View attachment 532493

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Hi, you can use my github as a guide to get started.

Attachments

• 20211029_194303.jpg
    20211029_194303.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Thanks! I'm making progress. Will report back!
@djlild7hina I'm in. I haven't tested fully because it's getting late. It's very laggy though. I'm guessing that's because I still have the 1070ti plugged in. I didn't expect it to even display!

Am I right in thinking that I can just plug in a 6800XT or 6900XT and it'll work out of the box?

Thanks again for your help...!

@djlild7hina I'm in. I haven't tested fully because it's getting late. It's very laggy though. I'm guessing that's because I still have the 1070ti plugged in. I didn't expect it to even display!

Am I right in thinking that I can just plug in a 6800XT or 6900XT and it'll work out of the box?

Yes without display acceleration it'll be very laggy. Assuming you're on MacPro7,1 I dont think there is anything else you need to do. I know there are versions of the 6900xt that need to be spoofed in order to work with macOS
Details are in this thread

Hi djlild7hina, curious why you're retiring from your hack?

Last edited:

Well, getting the 6900XT worked for me. Also, I have 3 x Asus 28" 4K monitors that work side, by side, by side on just ONE card and it works perfectly. So no issues there. I'm sure the 6800XT would work just as good. I just needed more RAM and performance because of those 3 high-end monitors.

Well, getting the 6900XT worked for me. Also, I have 3 x Asus 28" 4K monitors that work side, by side, by side on just ONE card and it works perfectly. So no issues there. I'm sure the 6800XT would work just as good. I just needed more RAM and performance because of those 3 high-end monitors.
Yes without display acceleration it'll be very laggy. Assuming you're on MacPro7,1 I dont think there is anything else you need to do. I know there are versions of the 6900xt that need to be spoofed in order to work with macOS
Details are in this thread
The GPU is in the post now. Hopefully, it'll be with me Monday or Tuesday.

I did a bit more testing with the install using the 1070ti. Initial observations are:

1. Applications open with much less lag than on High Sierra.
2. Temperatures seemed higher on idle. Could this be because the CPU is doing work that the GPU would usually do? Any other reasons you can think of?
3. Intel Power Gadget shows zero for all readings. (I've been looking at temperatures displayed on the MB). Do you know why this might be?

The GPU is in the post now. Hopefully, it'll be with me Monday or Tuesday.

I did a bit more testing with the install using the 1070ti. Initial observations are:

1. Applications open with much less lag than on High Sierra.
2. Temperatures seemed higher on idle. Could this be because the CPU is doing work that the GPU would usually do? Any other reasons you can think of?
3. Intel Power Gadget shows zero for all readings. (I've been looking at temperatures displayed on the MB). Do you know why this might be?
@djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so the 6900xt arrive today. Short story is that it's not working. In fact High Sierra with the 1070ti is no longer working either. Here's what happened:

1. I plugged in the 6900xt and booted up. It got stuck with a message on the MB saying Detect HDD
2. I reset CMOS following suggestions online
3. I could boot into Windows with the new card, but got a message saying 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that
4. I check the bios settings with those at the start of this thread and everything is correct (I think)
5.I put back in the 1070ti which I used to install Big Sur and was running correctly. I can't boot into sig sur or high sierra. The message on Big sur is the same as using the 6900xt - 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that. On high sierra, I'm getting the message in the attached screenshot right after selecting the boot drive in clover.

Do you have any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Attachments

• 20211102_190522.jpg
    20211102_190522.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
@djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so the 6900xt arrive today. Short story is that it's not working. In fact High Sierra with the 1070ti is no longer working either. Here's what happened:

1. I plugged in the 6900xt and booted up. It got stuck with a message on the MB saying Detect HDD
2. I reset CMOS following suggestions online
3. I could boot into Windows with the new card, but got a message saying 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that
4. I check the bios settings with those at the start of this thread and everything is correct (I think)
5.I put back in the 1070ti which I used to install Big Sur and was running correctly. I can't boot into sig sur or high sierra. The message on Big sur is the same as using the 6900xt - 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that. On high sierra, I'm getting the message in the attached screenshot right after selecting the boot drive in clover.

Do you have any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
ok - so I'm back into High Sierra. I think it was just a BIOD setting I'd missed.

@tedyun , @CaseySJ, @djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so I'm (or was) back up and running with the 1070ti in High Sierra. I must have been missing something in the BIOS settings. However, I can't run the 6900 XT in Big Sur.

I retried installing the 6900 XT. When I plugged it in, I got the same Detect HDD in the MB display. It wouldn't load BIOS.

I reset CMOS.

Changed the BIOS back to those at the start of this thread. I got the same Detect HDD in the MB display.

Do you know what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back