Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like other said, stay away from 970 evo, you need the latest firmware to run it and since you’re buyin new it’s better to buy something else. I got a 970 Pro, works fine no problems, but Sabrent are cheaper (even if judging your build seems you don’t care about costs ahahah). General recommendation: X299 is PCIe 3.0 so any 4.0 drive will be underutilized, like 980 pro or SN850, but you could still buy for future usage! SN850 seems to be more reliable than 980 Pro and faster (actually 970 Pro has better nands than 980 Pro) but Sabrent still cheaper. I’d say, if money no object, go with SN850! Unless you want to go the extra mile and grab an Intel Optane (mine will arrive tomorrow). I got a D15S with dual A12x25 and it’s incredible how this thing performs while stayin super silent! G Skill memory is best in class, but you’ll save a lot buyin Crucial or Kingston / HyperX and they run just as fast. If you don’t plan to game on macOS (who does?) or use GPU intensive apps, I’d say go for 5500XT (cheaper) otherwise try to snag a 6800 6800XT 6900XT on amd website at msrp, you’ll end up with a dramatic better value for money. They usually drop cards on their website once a week on Thursday. I was able to do so helped by a telegram tracker bot, I paid 650 for 6800XT instead of a boatload of money they sell on eBay or retailers.
Thanks so much for the advice! I sadly cant grab a 6xxx series because my friend wants to run Catalina (no matter what the price) he has some software that doesnt work on Big Sur hence the issue. I also said he doesnt need a good graphic card, a 560 then would be sufficient for premiere, however he said he wanted some 3D stuff for future and would like the best card for Catalina. Not sure if I can convince him to go lower end with GPU on mac. I will change to D15S as fan.

Also another question, but do you have any issues running Adobe software on your build ? any crashing or errors you might have seen (photoshop and premiere pro mainly?)

Thanks so much for the advice! I sadly cant grab a 6xxx series because my friend wants to run Catalina (no matter what the price) he has some software that doesnt work on Big Sur hence the issue. I also said he doesnt need a good graphic card, a 560 then would be sufficient for premiere, however he said he wanted some 3D stuff for future and would like the best card for Catalina. Not sure if I can convince him to go lower end with GPU on mac. I will change to D15S as fan.

Also another question, but do you have any issues running Adobe software on your build ? any crashing or errors you might have seen (photoshop and premiere pro mainly?)
I don't use any Adobe CC software, but haven't heard of any issues so far.

I am using mainly Lightroom Classic and occasionally Photoshop on my hackintosh and do not encounter more or less issues than on my Apple MacBookPro.

Also take a look at the Dortania guide on "Fixing iMessage - Fixing en0", it may help if you can restore an en0 - Fixing En0 (for whatever reason this link takes you to the end of the relevant section, just scroll back up slightly ;) )
I can only double that. There is nothing more rewarding than having a hack, that behaves like "the real thing" regarding iCloud, iMessage and so on. ;)

OpenCore 0.7.2 for ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Updated to Latest version of OpenCore
  • Added proper Thunderbolt 3 support for GC-Titan Ridge v1.0 (Slot 2, with cable attached to onboard TB port, using NVM33)
  • USB-C/TB3 all works 100% (With Hot Plug), completing system with no outstanding issues. You must activate TB3 by plugging in any TB3 device first on a cold boot, which your system will not see, but then you must do a soft restart. After that TB3/USB-C will work properly with Hot Plug until you shut down your system (I leave mine always on so it's never an issue).

View attachment 527025
View attachment 527029

View attachment 527031 View attachment 527032

View attachment 527033
View attachment 527028

BIOS v3501 for ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Added Apple Splash screen
  • Instructions how to flash are here (make sure to clear CMOS after flashing with BIOS Flashback)

@hkuser here you go, if you still need it. :thumbup:

Is there perhaps someone with a working EFI for installer and EFI post install for Asus X299 Prime Deluxe (i9-7900x) to get 11.5.2 Big Sur working?

Guys... I've re-installed macOS on the Optane 905p, and it works without NVMEfix with no issues. Actually, in common operations it is BLAZING FAST! My goodness, it's like having a RAM disk. Believe me, it's incredible.

Yes! I've updated Bios to F7e version and now I can disable CSM Support.

But when I try install, this message occur: "OC: Failed to find SB model Disabled
Halting on critical error"

SB?....Secure Boot? I've tryed disable and enable, same message

Maybe I'll try your EFI but I've RX 6900 XT

Macmaxxx,

So my EFI that I posted the other day does boot and work just fine. My issue was that I could boot to the installer, select the volume to install, then it installs for like 5 min. then the first reboot happens, then continues to install, but freezes/stalls at the 24min remaining progress bar. (more needed to install, and more reboots).

So here is where I must admit I cheated a bit, I took the SSD over to a friends house, and installed it from her 2015 iMac onto the SSD. There were like 3-4 reboots during install. Once installed and booted off of the SSD (where is asks your country) I shut it down, went home, put it in the x299 and then put my EFI on the SSD, and been happy ever since! Deep sleep works, iCloud works, it's fantasic! My USB ports I mapped works!

TL;DR
Get a working EFI with serial, ROM, proper files, install MacOS on another Mac, put SSD back into x299 Hackintosh, follow standard setup procedures, and OpenCore post install processes.

Jason

Last edited:
Is there perhaps someone with a working EFI for installer and EFI post install for Asus X299 Prime Deluxe (i9-7900x) to get 11.5.2 Big Sur working?

The best thing to do is grab a base EFI like @djlild7hina mentioned and tinker until it works for you, this way if anything goes wrong you know what to fix. OpenCore is not that difficult, even though it seems tedius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back