Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to tackle the problem but en0 refers to the first network port. Can be Wifi or wired depending on machine and configuration. If i am not mistaken this should be an pysical ethernet port on machines with one bulit in, e.g. a X299 Hackintosh.
Is it possible that the app in question needs this for some reason (licensensing?) and the port si not configured on this machine?
Maybe try "ifconfig -a" (without the quotes) in Terminal and see if en0 shows up. And maybe do this on your other machine and try to spot any difference.
Thanks Kub, I appreciate what you posted. Funny, that the tech support person mentioned the same thing. They wrote a special app update for me, but I'm still not able to launch the app. Ever since I changed the mobo this happened. So I don't know what issue I'm having with my ethernet connection. Everything that I know of, is working fine. I get internet connection just fine and everything is fast. So again, I don't know?

My other issue is I'm not allowed to sign into the App Store. It looks like it's connecting, but when I put in my email and password in, it just does nothing and still shows the "Sign In" button. Strange?

By the way, I did what you said, by typing in ifconfig -a, but didn't see the en0 anywhere in Terminal page when I hit enter. Just a bunch of other code stuff, but not en0. If you have anything else that could help me, let me know. Thanks again for trying.

By the way, I did what you said, by typing in ifconfig -a, but didn't see the en0 anywhere in Terminal page when I hit enter. Just a bunch of other code stuff, but not en0. If you have anything else that could help me, let me know. Thanks again for trying.

I think that's probably your issue - most real Mac's have an en0 and its probably poorly coded app that for whatever reason always tries to bind something to, or reference a MAC address on that interface or something.

What do you have instead of en0?

Also take a look at the Dortania guide on "Fixing iMessage - Fixing en0", it may help if you can restore an en0 - Fixing En0 (for whatever reason this link takes you to the end of the relevant section, just scroll back up slightly ;) )

Thanks Kub, I appreciate what you posted. Funny, that the tech support person mentioned the same thing. They wrote a special app update for me, but I'm still not able to launch the app. Ever since I changed the mobo this happened. So I don't know what issue I'm having with my ethernet connection. Everything that I know of, is working fine. I get internet connection just fine and everything is fast. So again, I don't know?

My other issue is I'm not allowed to sign into the App Store. It looks like it's connecting, but when I put in my email and password in, it just does nothing and still shows the "Sign In" button. Strange?

I think that's probably your issue - most real Mac's have an en0 and its probably poorly coded app that for whatever reason always tries to bind something to, or reference a MAC address on that interface or something.

What do you have instead of en0?

Also take a look at the Dortania guide on "Fixing iMessage - Fixing en0", it may help if you can restore an en0 - Fixing En0 (for whatever reason this link takes you to the end of the relevant section, just scroll back up slightly ;) )

You can also click on Network in About This Mac - System Report and it should show you all your available networks. One has to be en0. If en0 is missing you can delete your network preferences.plists then reboot/reset nvram and it should rebuild them properly

Guys... I bought an Intel Optane 905p 3D-Xpoint 480GB SSD for 500€ brand new (it retails for 7/800€). I'll test it and report once it's in my build. That crazy fast random reads/write and low latency should do the difference, otherwise I'll sell or return it with no loss. I'd be happy to still rock my hack until M2X Mac mini next year or so, unless the approaching M1X mini would be really stunning. That's basically the same strategy as @izo1 (sticking with Intel until 2nd gen Apple Silicon to let them iron out odds and developers update their apps) even if he actually bought a full fat real Mac Pro!!! Oh Lord I still envy him ahahah

I bought an Intel Optane 905p 3D-Xpoint 480GB SSD
Not worth using with macOS. Not going to give you speeds any faster than NVMe.

1629908884684.png

From rxs0 testing one on a Mac Pro. MacRumours forum.

Last edited:
They don't work with macOS.
Not the Optane Memory mate, the actual SSD. It's seen by the system as a common PCIe NVME drive (which it is) just with 3D Point cells instead of NANDs.

Not the Optane Memory mate, the actual SSD. It's seen by the system as a common PCIe NVME drive (which it is) just with 3D Point cells instead of NANDs.
Meant to say they don't even read/write as fast as a basic brand name NVMe SSD. Why spend that much more $$ ?

disable NVMeFix.kext if you happen to have it enabled
It broke thermal management? could you explain?
Not worth using with macOS. Not going to give you speeds any faster than NVMe.

View attachment 527779

From rxs0 testing one on a Mac Pro. MacRumours forum.
It should do 2600 Read and 2200 Write but with no performance loss (which happens to NANDs when you run out of cache). Most important, has dramatic lower latency and access timing and super fast small files / low queue r/w which is responsible for perceived zippiness in everyday usage

What is the difference ?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back