Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, long time lurker here!

I've been running a spicy little ITX i9-10980EX build successfully for a bit now, it's super cool (it's boiling alive hehe).

Shout out to @kubusikan you're posts have greatly helped me :clap:

Looking to move up to an ATX/full-size tower build with Thunderbolt and 10g Networking being at the core, + 4x NVME raid card (storage only) and finally with the intention of adding an additional 6900XT later down the line, (DaVinci Resolve colourist here).

Looking at the options, I've whittled them down to either:
  • Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Gigabyte X299X DESIGNARE 10G
Given the price of X550 10G NIC cards, having one onboard is great value for sure.

Gigabyte seems to be the all in one choice, even including the 4x NVME card, I just prefer the styling of the Asus...

Would love to know people's experiences nonetheless, I feel I have skimmed through and seen mentions of the Asus SAGE 10G having more issues?

Much love, ƒ

Hey all, long time lurker here!

I've been running a spicy little ITX i9-10980EX build successfully for a bit now, it's super cool (it's boiling alive hehe).

Shout out to @kubusikan you're posts have greatly helped me :clap:

Looking to move up to an ATX/full-size tower build with Thunderbolt and 10g Networking being at the core, + 4x NVME raid card (storage only) and finally with the intention of adding an additional 6900XT later down the line, (DaVinci Resolve colourist here).

Looking at the options, I've whittled them down to either:
  • Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Gigabyte X299X DESIGNARE 10G
Given the price of X550 10G NIC cards, having one onboard is great value for sure.

Gigabyte seems to be the all in one choice, even including the 4x NVME card, I just prefer the styling of the Asus...

Would love to know people's experiences nonetheless, I feel I have skimmed through and seen mentions of the Asus SAGE 10G having more issues?

Much love, ƒ

I haven't used any of the Gigabyte boards but from what I've seen the Designare 10G has had more problems than the SAGE 10G. Perhaps someone else can chime in but the only issues I've encountered are just minor inconveniences like no internal USB 2 header. The XHC Controller disappearing on the Thunderbolt card with Resizable bar BIOS affects Gigabyte and ASUS.

I believe the Designare 10G issues have been ironed out though? You'll see more information in this thread

EDIT: I just saw you want a 4xNVME card. I don't think the PCIe slots support bifurcation on the SAGE since it uses PLX chips so you'll have to use a NVME card with it built in (like the ones used for the 2019 Mac Pro).

PRIME X299-DELUXE II​

new bios
CleanShot 2021-08-07 at 10.03.57.png

I haven't used any of the Gigabyte boards but from what I've seen the Designare 10G has had more problems than the SAGE 10G. Perhaps someone else can chime in but the only issues I've encountered are just minor inconveniences like no internal USB 2 header. The XHC Controller disappearing on the Thunderbolt card with Resizable bar BIOS affects Gigabyte and ASUS.

I believe the Designare 10G issues have been ironed out though? You'll see more information in this thread

EDIT: I just saw you want a 4xNVME card. I don't think the PCIe slots support bifurcation on the SAGE since it uses PLX chips so you'll have to use a NVME card with it built in (like the ones used for the 2019 Mac Pro).

Oh, that's a good spot on the bifurcation, I was wondering about that. So I'd have to go for one of that pricer controller based Highpoint or Sonnet cards. Ouch! I think the Gigabyte might well be the answer then. Just really loath the gamer style hehe but it looks like it will tick the majority of the boxes!

Pardon my naivety, but why is the lack of a USB 2 header an issue? For Bluetooth?

Oh, that's a good spot on the bifurcation, I was wondering about that. So I'd have to go for one of that pricer controller based Highpoint or Sonnet cards. Ouch! I think the Gigabyte might well be the answer then. Just really loath the gamer style hehe but it looks like it will tick the majority of the boxes!

Pardon my naivety, but why is the lack of a USB 2 header an issue? For Bluetooth?

Yeah I’d double check the x299x gigabyte thread about any issues and stuff first though.

Yeah pretty much for Bluetooth or any other internal usb devices. I just use one of the back ports and wire it inside my case

As mentioned, there's just 1 header which will be used up by Bluetooth card so you can't connect your front ports.

What I did was I got another PCIe card that has USB3.0 header inside and connected the front 2 USB ports to that and used the onboard USB header for bluetooth.

I guess ASUS did this to accommodate the PCIe lanes needed for the dual 10G NIC which.

Hey guys! Anyone tried an Intel Optane SSD with 3D X-Point cells? I just discovered this stuff (actual SSDs, non the Optane memory buffer for storage which is pointless) and it's seems pretty fast in low latency and mixed small files reads/writes and in sequential, even if peak speed is pretty standard, they don't lower speed over time being actually faster than any NAND based drive (PCIe 4.0 included).

Hey guys! Anyone tried an Intel Optane SSD with 3D X-Point cells? I just discovered this stuff (actual SSDs, non the Optane memory buffer for storage which is pointless) and it's seems pretty fast in low latency and mixed small files reads/writes and in sequential, even if peak speed is pretty standard, they don't lower speed over time being actually faster than any NAND based drive (PCIe 4.0 included).

I haven't but the only thing I ran across with Optane was this thread on MacRumors

@CaseySJ looks like NVM33 worked! And USB ports do show up in ioreg on a BIOS that was released pre-Resizable Bar. I will try the latest ASUS BIOS. I have emailed them the issue with this board I am using and across all ASUS boards, hopefully they can fix it.

One issue so far, even though XHC3 shows up, I plug in a USB C HDD and it seems like there isnt enough power to power it from the TB3 addon card (I do have the dual 3 pin power connected directly to the PSU)

Also tried a USBC flash drive which requires less power, and it didn't work either. Neither of them mount.

I am about to try a TB3 device today and will report back along with the latest BIOS.

Not having enough power in TB3 port is not a good sign in general, I may need to connect TB3 HDDs to this.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.42.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.44.49 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back