Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, the newer BIOS (with Resizeable BAR Support) will kill USB on Thunderbolt. So number one action item would be to downgrade the BIOS.

Surprisingly if you have a newer BIOS and jump pins 1 and 3 with Thunderbolt settings enabled in the BIOS, the USB ports still work. If you plug in the normal 5 pin header or disable Thunderbolt settings with jumped pins, the XHC controller is gone. Not sure if this is just an ASUS X299 thing or not though

Surprisingly if you have a newer BIOS and jump pins 1 and 3 with Thunderbolt settings enabled in the BIOS, the USB ports still work. If you plug in the normal 5 pin header or disable Thunderbolt settings with jumped pins, the XHC controller is gone. Not sure if this is just an ASUS X299 thing or not though
On Designare Z390 and Z490 Vision D, the new BIOS kills USB on the built-in Thunderbolt ports. I haven’t checked the behavior of an add-in Thunderbolt card under these circumstances.

On Designare Z390 and Z490 Vision D, the new BIOS kills USB on the built-in Thunderbolt ports. I haven’t checked the behavior of an add-in Thunderbolt card under these circumstances.

ASUS is in contact with me regarding this, I am about to send them some materials and explanation so they can fix this.

I suggest if you guys have time to email them at:
[email protected]

They have fixed some BIOS issues before when I emailed them. Especially if this issue is across multiple motherboards, they will for sure fix it.

@CaseySJ and @izo1 just ran some tests on the latest BIOS 3501 for the Sage 10G

XHC Controller does not populate on NVM33-Designare, NVM33-Aorus-Extreme, or NVM50-GC-TitanRidgeV2.0. This is with jumping pins 3 and 5 without Thunderbolt Settings. I assume my original mentions still stand and previous BIOS version 3302 is the best version for the best Thunderbolt support.

One thing I did notice is my Caldigit TS3 Plus dock has no drivers loaded on a coldboot but works fine after a reboot. This occurs on pretty much every NVM firmware and BIOS. Not a big deal though since I usually just sleep my comp

@CaseySJ and @izo1 just ran some tests on the latest BIOS 3501 for the Sage 10G

XHC Controller does not populate on NVM33-Designare, NVM33-Aorus-Extreme, or NVM50-GC-TitanRidgeV2.0. This is with jumping pins 3 and 5 without Thunderbolt Settings. I assume my original mentions still stand and previous BIOS version 3302 is the best version for the best Thunderbolt support.

One thing I did notice is my Caldigit TS3 Plus dock has no drivers loaded on a coldboot but works fine after a reboot. This occurs on pretty much every NVM firmware and BIOS. Not a big deal though since I usually just sleep my comp

Hm this affirms that its BIOS related it seems. I'm going to flash to NVM33 this weekend and will post results as well. I am still on the old BIOS before ResizeBar (had to downgrade for testing) so will post if theres any findings.

Glad you figured this out! Sorry didn’t have a chance to look at your post earlier

np @djlild7hina ;) that a look at it, if you have time. especially the SSDTs :) I think there's place for improvement there...

Last edited:
np @djlild7hina ;) that a look at it, if you have time. especially the SSDTs :) I think there's place for improvement there...

Taking a quick look I think it looks fine

These SSDTs could probably be configured in DeviceProperties though but it doesn't really matter. They're mostly cosmetic anyway
  • SSDT-HDEF
  • SSDT-X299-PMCR
  • SSDT-X299-THSS

I'm not sure if you need HibernationFixup or UTBMap? What does UTBMap do?

Taking a quick look I think it looks fine

These SSDTs could probably be configured in DeviceProperties though but it doesn't really matter. They're mostly cosmetic anyway
  • SSDT-HDEF
  • SSDT-X299-PMCR
  • SSDT-X299-THSS

I'm not sure if you need HibernationFixup or UTBMap? What does UTBMap do?
hello @djlild7hina !

those SSDTs are cosmetic, yes :)

USBToolBox + UTBmap are needed for usb map. I found this tool https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext through which you can map all your USB ports in a couple of minutes. it works under windows too. I mapped all USB ports, except the 2 at the bottom of the rear panel (-4 personalities in total).

I'll test without hibernationfixup, if it's not needed, I'll remove it.

I attach the verbose print, politely asking you if you can spot something not good...

again, many thanks!

Attachments

• opencore-2021-08-06-161527.txt
    256 KB · Views: 41
hello @djlild7hina !

those SSDTs are cosmetic, yes :)

USBToolBox + UTBmap are needed for usb map. I found this tool https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext through which you can map all your USB ports in a couple of minutes. it works under windows too. I mapped all USB ports, except the 2 at the bottom of the rear panel (-4 personalities in total).

I'll test without hibernationfixup, if it's not needed, I'll remove it.

I attach the verbose print, politely asking you if you can spot something not good...

again, many thanks!

Ah so that method uses two kexts instead of one with USBMap. Looks fine to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back