Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really happy, really glad, to report that my computer is dead. I tried two different PSUs and my motherboard doesn’t turn on, it doesn’t start POST process, it doesn’t even ramp up fans. I’m not so skilled in hardware troubleshooting, is it fair to suppose that’s a board failure? When I switch on the PSU, the power led on it turns on but when I try to switch on the PSU makes a “click” and nothing happens. I read online that click could be a safety switch off of the power supply. Would be correct to just plug the 24 pin and cpu 8 pin and cpu fan header to check if it begins POST at least!? I mean, without cpu and without any devices plugged in. I really hope my 9980xe isn’t fried. I have hope it isn’t, since motherboard doesn’t even power the fans I suppose the problem is somewhere on the board, maybe a power burst?!
First thing I would check for is any short - there was a loose metal retaining bracket on my Prime A-II that clipped the usb/ps2 ports to the plastic I/O shroud. I had similar symptoms to what you describe and sometimes when it would post it would then halt saying something like “overcurrent protection” but others it would just do the PSU click like you mention.

The bracket itself just needed clipping back into position because it was dangling on to one of the exposed contacts… worth double checking for any shorts first, damaged cables, loose connectors etc and then the classic unplug everything until you’ve just got cpu a single memory stick and a single gpu and see if it will turn on. If it does start reconnecting components one by one until you discover what is causing it.
It’s a PITA but also try the board outside the case in it’s most minimal config (as in the cpu and single stick) just in case it’s the board shorting directly to the case.
If it still won’t turn on and you’re certain the second PSU is good then yeah could be the board.

I’d be surprised if its the CPU, they’re normally pretty hardy.

First thing I would check for is any short - there was a loose metal retaining bracket on my Prime A-II that clipped the usb/ps2 ports to the plastic I/O shroud. I had similar symptoms to what you describe and sometimes when it would post it would then halt saying something like “overcurrent protection” but others it would just do the PSU click like you mention.

The bracket itself just needed clipping back into position because it was dangling on to one of the exposed contacts… worth double checking for any shorts first, damaged cables, loose connectors etc and then the classic unplug everything until you’ve just got cpu a single memory stick and a single gpu and see if it will turn on. If it does start reconnecting components one by one until you discover what is causing it.
It’s a PITA but also try the board outside the case in it’s most minimal config (as in the cpu and single stick) just in case it’s the board shorting directly to the case.
If it still won’t turn on and you’re certain the second PSU is good then yeah could be the board.

I’d be surprised if its the CPU, they’re normally pretty hardy.
I tried powering on the board on a paper box, so no metal case around, but without anything on it (no CPU no RAM no GPU nothing). the power led turns on as soon as I plug the 24 pin but when I press the switch it makes the PSU clicking just like when it was all assembled in the case. I also plugged a fan to see if at least it starts rotating and… nothing! Totally dead. I know without components it will never post, but at least it should have powered the fan!

The older PSU (which I suppose is fried like the board) doesn’t even power the led on the board itself.

OT: I’m using the iPad Pro M1 12.9” for basic work while my computer is dead, all the reviewers say about it it’s true: It’s fine for light work but it’s definitely not a Mac replacement! Maybe if you just do email, browsing and social media.

Last edited:
Do you guys think Slot 3 will work ok too for the GPU?

The manual states Slot 3 is also x16. Since this board has PLX switches, would lower slots cause issues down the line? Probably not but just curious before I reroute the tubing.

View attachment 524269
I have no direct experience with the video card in slot 3 but i have a friend with the sage 10G who has been using the radeon VII in slot 3 for over a year and has never experienced any problems. I believe the 6900 XT is also fine connected to slot 3.

Very nice! You can also refer to this post to properly map the ram so you can avoid RestrictEvents.kext

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...en-7-3700x-amd-rx-5600-xt.304553/post-2246642
Thanks!

I tried to map the ram by the nicely explained method of rj510 but failed.
Maybe this rather special ITX-ASRock board does something funky with the assignment of the slots - i don't know? It only has 4 physical slots which are all populated in my case.
Using the RestrictEvents.kext the System Profiler detects all installed ram sticks with all data as serial, mfg, speed and so on. But it also detects, that i have 8 slots with only 4 populated (this was also the case with iMacPro).

I will stick to this method as long as nothing breaks. :)

Finally moved the 6900XT to slot 5/retubed/refilled and now TB3 shows up proper (Slot 2). Just need some TB3 devices to test. Also yes I know there's dangling cables around but I don't care at this point :D

Thanks to everyone that had input on the TB3 issue!

x299.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 2.24.18 AM.png

Finally moved the 6900XT to slot 5/retubed/refilled and now TB3 shows up proper (Slot 2). Just need some TB3 devices to test. Also yes I know there's dangling cables around but I don't care at this point :D

Thanks to everyone that had input on the TB3 issue!

View attachment 524341

View attachment 524342
Nice! Just curious, can you post a ioreg screenshot of the thunderbolt bus? I think bios 3405 disabled the xhc controller?

I reset clock voltage cpu is 45 celcius cooler working it's NXZT 2 fan push pull on windows nothing anormal
What's situation exactly? Do You have reset bios to default parameters ? 45° celcius in idle? If yes, it's not normal, it's too hot for idle. Which processor are You have?

It's seems You have i9 10920X 12 cores. Your NXZT is a 240mm?

Last edited:
What's situation exactly? Do You have reset bios to default parameters ? 45° celcius in idle? If yes, it's not normal, it's too hot for idle. Which processor are You have?

It's seems You have i9 10920X 12 cores. Your NXZT is a 240mm?

@Thekeko what NZXT is it? If its one of the later USB controlled models in MacOS you won't have control of the pump speed, it'll be on minimum duty/rpm.

Unless you've either A) installed some other utility like liquidctl and built a startup script to enable it or B) from cold you'd need to boot into windows, let CAM set the pump speed and any RGB settings, then reboot without powering off into MacOS and it should hold the settings but if you power it down some software must use the USB to assign the settings again.

You could be border-line with the fan and pump speed in Windows where its keeping the temps just in check but in MacOS with the much lower pump speed it could be throttling?

I use liquidctl and its works great, with my X63 that 67% pump speed it makes quite a big difference to full load temps and still remains completely inaudible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back