Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen that you have a 16 core processor, mine is 18, do you know how to edit the TSCAdjustReset.kext?

I include the modified TSCAdjustReset.kext for your team, you just have to delete the old one (EFI / OC / KEXTS) and put this one, maybe you also need a different SSDT because your processor is two generations prior to mine, now I look at it

I have been looking at the Dortania guide and in theory the 79xx 99xx and 109xx processors use the same SSDt's, so I don't think you have any boot problems, just change the TSCAdjustReset.kext and it should boot, when you are in the OC boot , the first time select "resetNvram", when you restart select your boot disk
Here is my existing EFI file that I was able to use from a user from here (many months ago). I used it and it worked with my existing 1503 BIOS. Which I'm still using. That's why I was asking you about your signature that had "3105." I will upgrade to your current BIOS tonight. Let me know what you find out. Thank you.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    55.4 MB · Views: 55
I have seen that you have a 16 core processor, mine is 18, do you know how to edit the TSCAdjustReset.kext?

I include the modified TSCAdjustReset.kext for your team, you just have to delete the old one (EFI / OC / KEXTS) and put this one, maybe you also need a different SSDT because your processor is two generations prior to mine, now I look at it

I have been looking at the Dortania guide and in theory the 79xx 99xx and 109xx processors use the same SSDt's, so I don't think you have any boot problems, just change the TSCAdjustReset.kext and it should boot, when you are in the OC boot , the first time select "resetNvram", when you restart select your boot disk
Well, I just updated my BIOS from 1503 to 3105 and used your EFI folder as is and IT WORKED!!! BUT - once the OS started the fans on the 6900 stopped working. If there is a work around on this fine. If not, that's okay, because I'm going to order a EKWB water block anyway for it. Let me know what I need to change to make the fans work. AGAIN - THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP !!!

anyone here got some experience with Maple Ridge TB4 card like the TBEX 4? Same hot plug / sleep issues as ever? I'd like to add it to my system if it works without flashing firmware or any kind of hardware trickery. Thanks to whoever has some hints!

Removed this from my github since I no longer have the TBEX 4 but here were my observations:

For Thunderbolt 4, currently the only available Thunderbolt 4 PCIe card is the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4. (Not true anymore since the Gigabyte GC-Maple Ridge and ASRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC are out now)

Current Observations
Note these observations are based on the devices tested listed below. YMMV and issues I'm running into may just be due to these devices.
* Initially ran into issues where card was causing kernel panics in macOS and error code 62 on reboots. Found this issue on the latest BIOS with resizable bar support. Downgraded BIOS to 3302 and the card works normally.
* Thunderbolt header may not necessarily be needed or jumped. macOS recognizes the card on boot without a header plugged in.
* The 6 pin power and USB 2.0 internal cable have to be connected.
* Thunderbolt settings have to be enabled in BIOS. The device loaded in a different slot with Thunderbolt disabled but it showed 'No driver installed'.
* SSDT is required for device to be recognized.

What Works
* Thunderbolt 3 hot-plug
* USB 2.0 hot-plug/cold-plug
* USB 3.1 Gen 2 hot-plug/cold-plug
* Sleep

What Doesn't Work
* Thunderbolt 3 cold/warm boot

Devices Tested
* Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure (EC-T3NS)

To-Do
* Extract original firmware and try installing custom firmware for Thunderbolt Local Node support. (no custom firmware yet since macOS doesn't have Maple Ridge drivers)

Removed this from my github since I no longer have the TBEX 4 but here were my observations:

For Thunderbolt 4, currently the only available Thunderbolt 4 PCIe card is the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4. (Not true anymore since the Gigabyte GC-Maple Ridge and ASRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC are out now)

Current Observations
Note these observations are based on the devices tested listed below. YMMV and issues I'm running into may just be due to these devices.
* Initially ran into issues where card was causing kernel panics in macOS and error code 62 on reboots. Found this issue on the latest BIOS with resizable bar support. Downgraded BIOS to 3302 and the card works normally.
* Thunderbolt header may not necessarily be needed or jumped. macOS recognizes the card on boot without a header plugged in.
* The 6 pin power and USB 2.0 internal cable have to be connected.
* Thunderbolt settings have to be enabled in BIOS. The device loaded in a different slot with Thunderbolt disabled but it showed 'No driver installed'.
* SSDT is required for device to be recognized.

What Works
* Thunderbolt 3 hot-plug
* USB 2.0 hot-plug/cold-plug
* USB 3.1 Gen 2 hot-plug/cold-plug
* Sleep

What Doesn't Work
* Thunderbolt 3 cold/warm boot

Devices Tested
* Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure (EC-T3NS)

To-Do
* Extract original firmware and try installing custom firmware for Thunderbolt Local Node support. (no custom firmware yet since macOS doesn't have Maple Ridge drivers)
So it may be worth it, but... what do you mean by cold/warm boot not working? how do you use it if can't load up at boot?

How your W5500 is performing? still troubles or you figured it out?

Thanks mate!

Well, I just updated my BIOS from 1503 to 3105 and used your EFI folder as is and IT WORKED!!! BUT - once the OS started the fans on the 6900 stopped working. If there is a work around on this fine. If not, that's okay, because I'm going to order a EKWB water block anyway for it. Let me know what I need to change to make the fans work. AGAIN - THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP !!!
I'm glad it works for you (everything) since the fan problem is not a problem, most new cards that incorporate 2 or 3 fans have a 0 rpm system, this means that the operating system activates the fans when need it, you can do any test; Valley, Luxmark, etc ... and you will see how the blades turn ... When you can publish any result of your 6900xt, greetings. !!

So it may be worth it, but... what do you mean by cold/warm boot not working? how do you use it if can't load up at boot?

How your W5500 is performing? still troubles or you figured it out?

Thanks mate!

Meaning my thunderbolt drive wasn’t detected when I turned on my computer or if I rebooted. I would have to unplug and replug the thunderbolt drive for it to show up. Although I only had one device to test so it may have been the specific thunderbolt device/driver.

It’s been a lot better lately. Haven’t ran into a green screen in a while and dp/hdmi audio seems to be more consistent now. I did a device id spoof to a 5500 xt. Still not sure if my w5500 has issues or all w5500 are like this but it’s been pretty solid lately

I'm glad it works for you (everything) since the fan problem is not a problem, most new cards that incorporate 2 or 3 fans have a 0 rpm system, this means that the operating system activates the fans when need it, you can do any test; Valley, Luxmark, etc ... and you will see how the blades turn ... When you can publish any result of your 6900xt, greetings. !!
Thank You Again! Do I still need to use the TSCAdjustReset.kext, or just leave it be?

You know what's funny, when I start it up in the end the Mobo is still reading - Code: 92 Detect HDD. It was doing that from the very beginning anyway. My main system (using the same Mobo), doesn't do that. It just reads the CPU Temp. That's fine, it still works and will be my backup system.

One thing I did notice with the EFI that I had been using for the past 8 to 10 months (from LoloFlaxSix), is that it's 101.3MB big, whereas yours is only 13.2MB. But I'm still using his EFI on my main system using 1503 BIOS. I'm very grateful for his efforts in putting that together and supplying that to everyone. I will be updating my main system very soon with the more current 3105 BIOS with your EFI that you provided.

I know this it comes off pretty sappy to say this again... but - THANK YOU WoodCabin and EVERYBODY ELSE that gave their input !!! You guys are really great to spend your own time to give to me the way you did. Now it's my turn to give back to somebody else.

Now I need to go to PerformancePC's site and get some water blocks. By the way I've ONLY ever used EVGA Water Blocks, but noticed AlphaCool's Water Blocks. Has anyone had any experience with using AlphaCool's Water Blocks? Just curious, that's all.

Lastly, I'd like to wish ALL the DAD's out there a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Thank You Again! Do I still need to use the TSCAdjustReset.kext, or just leave it be?

You know what's funny, when I start it up in the end the Mobo is still reading - Code: 92 Detect HDD. It was doing that from the very beginning anyway. My main system (using the same Mobo), doesn't do that. It just reads the CPU Temp. That's fine, it still works and will be my backup system.

One thing I did notice with the EFI that I had been using for the past 8 to 10 months (from LoloFlaxSix), is that it's 101.3MB big, whereas yours is only 13.2MB. But I'm still using his EFI on my main system using 1503 BIOS. I'm very grateful for his efforts in putting that together and supplying that to everyone. I will be updating my main system very soon with the more current 3105 BIOS with your EFI that you provided.

I know this it comes off pretty sappy to say this again... but - THANK YOU WoodCabin and EVERYBODY ELSE that gave their input !!! You guys are really great to spend your own time to give to me the way you did. Now it's my turn to give back to somebody else.

Now I need to go to PerformancePC's site and get some water blocks. By the way I've ONLY ever used EVGA Water Blocks, but noticed AlphaCool's Water Blocks. Has anyone had any experience with using AlphaCool's Water Blocks? Just curious, that's all.

Lastly, I'd like to wish ALL the DAD's out there a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

You'll have to adjust TSCAdjustReset for the amount of cores you have if your core count doesn't match WoodCabin's. I have them adjusted per core count in my github here
I'd check google for that error code to see why it's running into that error.

Older OC EFIs had a lot of audio files in resources so that's why they are bigger. They've been removed in later OC releases.

Last edited:
You'll have to adjust TSCAdjustReset for the amount of cores you have if your core count doesn't match WoodCabin's. I have them adjusted per core count in my github here
I'd check google for that error code to see why it's running into that error.

Older OC EFIs had a lot of audio files in resources so that's why they are bigger. They've been removed in later OC releases.
Thanks Hina. He already made one for me and I'll make sure to use it. So far I just had to uninstall Kensington's TrackballWorks v1.5.0 and install the new KensigntonWorks v2.2.10 for my Slimblade Trackball. Other than that, everything is working fine and actually started up even faster. Super grateful!

Thanks Hina. He already made one for me and I'll make sure to use it. So far I just had to uninstall Kensington's TrackballWorks v1.5.0 and install the new KensigntonWorks v2.2.10 for my Slimblade Trackball. Other than that, everything is working fine and actually started up even faster. Super grateful!

As long as it’s setup for your 7960x then it should be good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back